Justfly charge $75 as a cancellation fee for a ticket purchased 10 minutes earlier

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 10, 2019
On July 29 I booked a flight from Miami to Minneapolis for October 17th with Justfly. When I printed the receipt, I realized it should have been for October 16th. Ten minutes after I discovered my error, I called the company to change the ticket and learned the ticket couldn’t be change, it has to be cancelled and a new one booked. The problem is they charged me $75.00 as a cancellation fee for a $150 ticket (I didn’t book another flight with them).

This morning, I read Christopher article in the Star Tribune from Sunday July 28 about the 24-hour rule. Is there something I can do to recover the $75 fee?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
On July 29 I booked a flight from Miami to Minneapolis for October 17th with Justfly. When I printed the receipt, I realized it should have been for October 16th. Ten minutes after I discovered my error, I called the company to change the ticket and learned the ticket couldn’t be change, it has to be cancelled and a new one booked. The problem is they charged me $75.00 as a cancellation fee for a $150 ticket (I didn’t book another flight with them).

This morning, I read Christopher article in the Star Tribune from Sunday July 28 about the 24-hour rule. Is there something I can do to recover the $75 fee?
I'm afraid you may be confusing the 24hr airline rule ... it probably doesn't apply to this online booking service. They are charging you a fee for themselves, not a fee to pass on to the airline. JF is essentially charging you the fee for changing the date. The airline probably changes it for free in the first 24 hours and JF keeps your money. We get more complaints about JF than any other booking website, I believe. Next time, book direct with the airline or hotel. If you have issues, you can often get them solved quickly and inexpensively.

Just to be sure we understand, you have cancelled the tix with JF; you paid $150 originally, they charged you $75 to cancel and they gave you back your $75? Please let us know exactly what happened, we may be able to advise you.

FOR OUR OTHER READERS If you must use an online booking service, read all the fine print before you proceed. Never assume that one entity will do exactly the same as another ... check it out first.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The 24 hour rule doesn’t apply if you book your ticket through an agency, it only applies if you book directly with the airline. Many OTAs also follow that but they are not required to.

What Justfly charged was their own cancellation fee which has nothing to do with the airline. That fee is besides any airline cancellation fee. You weren’t charged an airline fee so they did comply with the 24 hour rule, even though they don’t have to.

The BBB actually has a warning on their website not to use Justfly. This is one of the reasons why.

Here are their terms :

CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS
All Bookings are non-refundable unless otherwise stated. If you find that you must cancel a booking for any reason, please contact us. We will do all we can to assist you in this process. However, please be aware that even if your cancellation is allowed and your booking is thus refundable, it may be subject to an administrative cancellation fee displayed in the table below plus additional fees charged by the Airlines and other Travel Service Provider.
The following fees will be charged per passenger in the currency of the related booking.
Domestic

International

Trans-border between Canada and USA

$75 per passenger

$200 per passenger
$125 per passenger

https://www.justfly.com/pdf/termsandconditions.pdf

It’s important to read terms and conditions before you book.

Aug 10, 2019
I'm afraid you may be confusing the 24hr airline rule ... it probably doesn't apply to this online booking service. They are charging you a fee for themselves, not a fee to pass on to the airline. JF is essentially charging you the fee for changing the date. The airline probably changes it for free in the first 24 hours and JF keeps your money. We get more complaints about JF than any other booking website, I believe. Next time, book direct with the airline or hotel. If you have issues, you can often get them solved quickly and inexpensively.

Just to be sure we understand, you have cancelled the tix with JF; you paid $150 originally, they charged you $75 to cancel and they gave you back your $75? Please let us know exactly what happened, we may be able to advise you.

FOR OUR OTHER READERS If you must use an online booking service, read all the fine print before you proceed. Never assume that one entity will do exactly the same as another ... check it out first.
Thank you for your quick answer. Yes, I missed the terms, I paid the consequence but I learned not to use Justfly anymore; I'll pass the word.