Just Fly Complaint

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 29, 2018
I am writing to lodge a complaint about the manner in which my 86 year old mother has been treated Just Fly.

My mother had a ticket for an August, 2017, round trip flight to Dublin, Ireland. That trip was cancelled because of an untenable personal situation in Ireland which involved potential physical harm to her person. She has a credit of approximately $700 that must be used by this August. The issue is Mom is undergoing treatment for degenerative spine issues in two areas of her back.
She has been strongly advised not to undertake travel that requires her to sit for more than three hours, particularly during this initial year of treatment.

During the course of April and May my Mother, my sister, and I have independently contacted Justfly and Ethiopian Airlines in regards to gaining an exception to the quite rigid rulings we have encountered, these being: 1) Credit and ticket must remain in Mom's name or 2) credit cannot be extended until Spring 2019 when her doctor believes she possibly could undertake the lengthy flight to Dublin and back. I requested some flexibility from Just Fly given the extenuating circumstances. Upon contacting Ethiopian Airlines their final position was to obtain a refund from justfly. This was just denied last week in a phone conversation with me. It seems that Just Fly is perfectly willing to take my 86 year old Mother's money without blinking an eye. This is a quite disappointing aand for my Mother, stressful) situation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you bought nonrefundable tickets, you’ve received more than the airline was required to do. Tickets are also non transferable and only owned by the name of the person on the ticket.

Did you buy Travel insurance for the original flight? Depending on the cancellation reason that might have reimbursed you for the tickets.

We have company contacts on top of our page;

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/

Read the information on the cover page about exactly how to write and then start your campaign to Just Fly.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm sorry your mother is in this position. The airlines have been given bogus excuses by their passengers forever, and now they just refuse to budge on their cancellation rules. They've discovered that millions of dollars are generated from these fees. Booking through a third party makes it much worse. I advise that you use our Company Contacts as Neil suggests to ask for an extension based on her medical limitations. Don't attach anything; it might cause your email may be discarded. Offer to furnish them with whatever proof they need.

Oct 13, 2015
I'm sorry about your mom. Health problems are hard for patients and their families.

When you buy a plane ticket, there's always a chance that you'll be unable to make the flight. There are 3 ways to assign that risk:

1. Make the airline assume the risk by buying a refundable ticket. This way, you get your money back no matter what.

2. Buy a nonrefundable ticket and a 3rd party insurance policy. If you really want to minimize loss, buy a policy that covers cancellation for any reason. I personally don't buy those but I do buy regular policies. I'm happy to unload a large chunk of risk for about 5%-10% of the cost of my trip.

3. Buy a nonrefundable ticket and assume the risk yourself, which is what your mom did. Nothing wrong with that. I don't buy insurance for every single trip I take but I understand that I'm on the hook if I can't make the trip.

What you're asking for is the flexibility of a refundable ticket for the price of a nonrefundable ticket. Or you want the benefits of travel insurance without buying a policy. There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking for an exception but just because they're sticking to their stated policy doesn't make them the bad guy. Also, I don't know how Just Fly works but it's possible they no longer have the money. Maybe the airline has it.

Good luck with your appeal.

Edited to fix mistakes.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
3. Buy a refundable ticket and assume the risk yourself, which is what your mom did. Nothing wrong with that. I don't buy insurance for every single trip I take but I understand that I'm on the hook if I can't make the trip.

Do you mean buy a NON refundable ticket and assume the risk?

You’ve explained three choices very well.

Mar 17, 2015
May I also point out that there may be places to fly that are within the 3 hour limit, if you don't want to totally lose the money, look to see where your mom can fly that will not take over 3 hours. A vacation, albeit not overseas, may be just what she needs.

May 29, 2018
If you bought nonrefundable tickets, you’ve received more than the airline was required to do. Tickets are also non transferable and only owned by the name of the person on the ticket.

Did you buy Travel insurance for the original flight? Depending on the cancellation reason that might have reimbursed you for the tickets.

We have company contacts on top of our page;

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/

Read the information on the cover page about exactly how to write and then start your campaign to Just Fly.

May 29, 2018
Thank you, Neil. I did not purchase insurance. First time ever my mom did not take a scheduled or rescheduled flight. Given her age and health issue, I will probably consider insurance or a refundable ticket going forward.

May 29, 2018
I'm sorry about your mom. Health problems are hard for patients and their families.

When you buy a plane ticket, there's always a chance that you'll be unable to make the flight. There are 3 ways to assign that risk:

1. Make the airline assume the risk by buying a refundable ticket. This way, you get your money back no matter what.

2. Buy a nonrefundable ticket and a 3rd party insurance policy. If you really want to minimize loss, buy a policy that covers cancellation for any reason. I personally don't buy those but I do buy regular policies. I'm happy to unload a large chunk of risk for about 5%-10% of the cost of my trip.

3. Buy a nonrefundable ticket and assume the risk yourself, which is what your mom did. Nothing wrong with that. I don't buy insurance for every single trip I take but I understand that I'm on the hook if I can't make the trip.

What you're asking for is the flexibility of a refundable ticket for the price of a nonrefundable ticket. Or you want the benefits of travel insurance without buying a policy. There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking for an exception but just because they're sticking to their stated policy doesn't make them the bad guy. Also, I don't know how Just Fly works but it's possible they no longer have the money. Maybe the airline has it.

Good luck with your appeal.

Edited to fix mistakes.
Thank you, Kriseye. I agree with Neil that your post is well written. Thank you for lay out these three options. I will consider them as I plan future trips.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Vicobel, buying travel insurance has absolutely nothing to do with someones age or health. A perfectly healthy person can fall and break a hip two weeks before their trip or can have a car accident on the way to the airport. If they don't have travel insurance, they are in the same boat as your Mom - they lose it all. A rule of thumb is if you can't afford to lose all the money you have paid for your trip if you can't go due to an emergency - you need to buy insurance. It is quite shocking the number of consumers who do not realize you don't need to be old or sick to need travel insurance. Plus, if you travel outside the U.S. - most health insurance in the US doesn't cover you. What if you need a doctor or hospital while traveling in Europe? How will you pay the bill?

We have a post about travel insurance - you might want to read it for what it does cover:

Oct 13, 2015
Thank you, Kriseye. I agree with Neil that your post is well written. Thank you for lay out these three options. I will consider them as I plan future trips.
Think of it this way. All these years she's flown without insurance and without missing a flight means that she didn't spend money on unused insurance policies. So overall she's probably still ahead!

I also want to commend you on your graciousness in the face of constructive criticism.