Just cancelled my Comcast service - and it was EASY!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 12, 2015
I've read so many horror stories here about Comcast, so I thought I'd share my recent positive experience.

Over the last year, I've pretty much stopped watching cable TV. Almost 100% of my entertainment is now from apps on my cellphone (Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime, etc.). So it no longer makes sense to spend $90/month for Comcast cable TV.

But I dreaded having to call them to cancel my service. The endless hold time! The hyper-aggressive agents! The exhausting process! A few weeks ago (on a Saturday afternoon), I finally bit the bullet and called.

After a hold-time of less than 60 seconds, the call was answered by a live (and very professional) agent. He listened to my issues, and offered me an option that actually made a lot of sense, but I decided to cancel anyway. He didn't try to browbeat me or make me jump through any hoops. He just politely processed the cancellation, and told me my final bill would be $30.

The next day (Sunday), I was unclear about the $30, so I called again. Once more, I got through within 60 seconds, spoke to another very knowledgeable agent, and she answered my question.

I was expecting her to say that I owe the full $90 from my previous bill, and that my "final bill" of $30 would be IN ADDITION. But she said the $90 would be reversed, and that all I owe is the $30 pro-rated amount for the 10 days of service before the cancellation. No 30-day notice. No junk fees. Just $30 pro-rated.

Still in disbelief, I did an online chat. Got through immediately. The chat agent confirmed everything I'd been told. So now I had it in writing!

Sure enough.... three weeks went by, I received my final bill, the $90 was credited out, and I had a balance due of $30. I returned the cable box to the local Comcast store, paid the $30, and got a print-out showing a $0 balance on my account. Done!

And throughout the process, I dealt with agents who treated me respectfully, knew what they were talking about, and were able to handle my issue quickly and efficiently.

Maybe I was lucky? Or maybe Comcast has actually heard all the complaints and is trying harder to fix them? Whatever it is, I'm pleasantly surprised by the entire interaction.

May 17, 2016
I've read so many horror stories here about Comcast, so I thought I'd share my recent positive experience.

Over the last year, I've pretty much stopped watching cable TV. Almost 100% of my entertainment is now from apps on my cellphone (Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime, etc.). So it no longer makes sense to spend $90/month for Comcast cable TV.

But I dreaded having to call them to cancel my service. The endless hold time! The hyper-aggressive agents! The exhausting process! A few weeks ago (on a Saturday afternoon), I finally bit the bullet and called.

After a hold-time of less than 60 seconds, the call was answered by a live (and very professional) agent. He listened to my issues, and offered me an option that actually made a lot of sense, but I decided to cancel anyway. He didn't try to browbeat me or make me jump through any hoops. He just politely processed the cancellation, and told me my final bill would be $30.

The next day (Sunday), I was unclear about the $30, so I called again. Once more, I got through within 60 seconds, spoke to another very knowledgeable agent, and she answered my question.

I was expecting her to say that I owe the full $90 from my previous bill, and that my "final bill" of $30 would be IN ADDITION. But she said the $90 would be reversed, and that all I owe is the $30 pro-rated amount for the 10 days of service before the cancellation. No 30-day notice. No junk fees. Just $30 pro-rated.

Still in disbelief, I did an online chat. Got through immediately. The chat agent confirmed everything I'd been told. So now I had it in writing!

Sure enough.... three weeks went by, I received my final bill, the $90 was credited out, and I had a balance due of $30. I returned the cable box to the local Comcast store, paid the $30, and got a print-out showing a $0 balance on my account. Done!

And throughout the process, I dealt with agents who treated me respectfully, knew what they were talking about, and were able to handle my issue quickly and efficiently.

Maybe I was lucky? Or maybe Comcast has actually heard all the complaints and is trying harder to fix them? Whatever it is, I'm pleasantly surprised by the entire interaction.
You sure this was Comcast? Or maybe it's just the Seattle office. If so, it sure hasn't filtered into the Florida area.

Nov 14, 2016
Given how many people are cutting the cord, cable companies should be used to disconnecting service by now. :)

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I had a similar experience with Comcast, ATT & Sprint/MCI/whatever last April. Everyone was polite and professional, my service was changed or terminated as I instructed, the changed service billed out as stated, I got final bills just as explained, the automatic payments from my credit card ceased. I'm still reeling. Comcast I expected, because it was business service and I've not ever had an issue with their CS. The rest was just a wonderful experience. There's hope, people!

Apr 10, 2017
I had a similar experience with Comcast, ATT & Sprint/MCI/whatever last April. Everyone was polite and professional, my service was changed or terminated as I instructed, the changed service billed out as stated, I got final bills just as explained, the automatic payments from my credit card ceased. I'm still reeling. Comcast I expected, because it was business service and I've not ever had an issue with their CS. The rest was just a wonderful experience. There's hope, people!
I was expecting the worst when I canceled my cell phone service with AT&T. My husband and I were with them for nearly 16 years and in that time span there were numerous billing errors. Each time I alerted them to the problem it was fixed quickly and they usually included some extra compensation. But I was quite concerned this time as now I was leaving them as a customer. I was pleasantly surprised when everything went as promised and the automatic payments were no longer charged.

BTW when I think back to some of those billing mistakes I can easily see why there was a class action lawsuit. One time they tacked on a $9.99 charge to my bill that shouldn't have been there. They quickly removed it but I wondered back then how many people wouldn't have noticed it. Apparently quite a few!