Junk fees . . . . not even in the contract

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
In June 2014 I purchased a iPad Mini from t-mobile who had a smoking deal - $200 off the retail price, free shipping and a data deal that was 2gb a month for $10. Plus they let you finance the ipad over 24 months without interest. . . . you could also cancel the data deal at any time with zero penalty - while maintaining the 24 month financing and then 200mb a month forever = as long as you owned the tablet.

I decided to cancel 12 months after buying when they raised the price for the data to $20 - they sent me to retention and agreed to honor the same deal -= I asked for it in writing - and they could not do it so I documented the call carefully - with the rate plan I was on prior to the increase in price. I specifically stated and asked them to record that I was not agreeing to any new contract with T-mobile, that I was merely agreeing to maintain the existing plan at a negotiated price. I agreed, was billed $10 - but only for 200mb of data. I spent an hour addressing that issue until they agreed to terminate my service retroactively given the false representation - and put me back on the free 200mb a month - then they started billing me $10 a month again for the 200mb.

I called back- recounted the conversation - time and date - and the new supervisor told me the prior supervisor had - per my request - noted the conversation and what we agreed to. She then told me there was no such plan . . . . so I completely canceled my service - they could not provide me the 200mb for life without an open account and could not keep an account open without billing me. [interesting, given their prior marketing promise.]

Its just not worth the effort to argue with these folks over 200mb - which is not even a months worth of email.

However - again - I was clear and the person I spoke with was professional and expressed the standard corporate non-apology - but did note my account the history, my original plan, the terms of it [which I had downloaded when I first signed up - I do that routinely now] provided for no contract term and no cancellation penalties- and I then paid off my tablet to end my relationship with T-mobile.

I then get a bill from T-mobile for $49 - 2 months tablet service plus tax.

I contact them and they tell me it is a 'standard' termination fee.

I thanked the person - and immediately when to email so there would be a record.

I challenged the fee. I asked them to point where in my specific contract it provided for a termination fee.

They said that I was not on that contract any longer. I asked them when I agreed to a new contract.

They pointed out the data plan. I said that I never agreed to a new contract. That they could not prove any evidence that I executed or agreed to a contract.

I had the date and time of three phone calls. I had names of supervisors. I sent an email to the first executive on Chris' list - and they responded the next business day - apologizing for the 'confusion' and zeroing out my account. No explanation - just -you owe us nothing. While the exec team prob just bailed on it - because it was $40 = but imagine how much they collect because people just give up.

They invented the fee. The termination fee is $300 for tablets under the current contract. I got a really good deal back in 2014. They had a surplus of iPad Mini 2 when the 3 came out and needed to get rid of them. I did discover that it was a manually input fee from the retention department - someone just decided to try to collect $40 from someone for no contractually supportable reason . . . .

BTW:L Katherine O-Leary is no longer employed by T-mobile - that email address needs to be removed from the T-Mobile Exec list - @Grant Ritchie

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
In June 2014 I purchased a iPad Mini from t-mobile who had a smoking deal - $200 off the retail price, free shipping and a data deal that was 2gb a month for $10. Plus they let you finance the ipad over 24 months without interest. . . . you could also cancel the data deal at any time with zero penalty - while maintaining the 24 month financing and then 200mb a month forever = as long as you owned the tablet.

I decided to cancel 12 months after buying when they raised the price for the data to $20 - they sent me to retention and agreed to honor the same deal -= I asked for it in writing - and they could not do it so I documented the call carefully - with the rate plan I was on prior to the increase in price. I specifically stated and asked them to record that I was not agreeing to any new contract with T-mobile, that I was merely agreeing to maintain the existing plan at a negotiated price. I agreed, was billed $10 - but only for 200mb of data. I spent an hour addressing that issue until they agreed to terminate my service retroactively given the false representation - and put me back on the free 200mb a month - then they started billing me $10 a month again for the 200mb.

I called back- recounted the conversation - time and date - and the new supervisor told me the prior supervisor had - per my request - noted the conversation and what we agreed to. She then told me there was no such plan . . . . so I completely canceled my service - they could not provide me the 200mb for life without an open account and could not keep an account open without billing me. [interesting, given their prior marketing promise.]

Its just not worth the effort to argue with these folks over 200mb - which is not even a months worth of email.

However - again - I was clear and the person I spoke with was professional and expressed the standard corporate non-apology - but did note my account the history, my original plan, the terms of it [which I had downloaded when I first signed up - I do that routinely now] provided for no contract term and no cancellation penalties- and I then paid off my tablet to end my relationship with T-mobile.

I then get a bill from T-mobile for $49 - 2 months tablet service plus tax.

I contact them and they tell me it is a 'standard' termination fee.

I thanked the person - and immediately when to email so there would be a record.

I challenged the fee. I asked them to point where in my specific contract it provided for a termination fee.

They said that I was not on that contract any longer. I asked them when I agreed to a new contract.

They pointed out the data plan. I said that I never agreed to a new contract. That they could not prove any evidence that I executed or agreed to a contract.

I had the date and time of three phone calls. I had names of supervisors. I sent an email to the first executive on Chris' list - and they responded the next business day - apologizing for the 'confusion' and zeroing out my account. No explanation - just -you owe us nothing. While the exec team prob just bailed on it - because it was $40 = but imagine how much they collect because people just give up.

They invented the fee. The termination fee is $300 for tablets under the current contract. I got a really good deal back in 2014. They had a surplus of iPad Mini 2 when the 3 came out and needed to get rid of them. I did discover that it was a manually input fee from the retention department - someone just decided to try to collect $40 from someone for no contractually supportable reason . . . .

BTW:L Katherine O-Leary is no longer employed by T-mobile - that email address needs to be removed from the T-Mobile Exec list - @Grant Ritchie
Thanks, Joe.

I forwarded your note about Ms. O'Leary to Trent.

Grant