Judge my request letter

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 20, 2019
So.. Purchased an Arcade1UP cabinet a few weeks ago.. Basically was bad out of the box in a couple of different ways.. Main board on it was bad, freezing every few minutes and there was a stuck pixel on the screen.

I contacted their support last week and they're sending a replacement main board to me (4-6 weeks for delivery).. However, they informed me that a single stuck pixel on the screen is not considered a defect.

I'm not pleased with that.. So, I've written a letter to their support as a first level of appeal.. Thought I would post it here and get opinions on how well written it is. Obviously, I think it's perfect, but.. Doesn't everyone think their letter is perfect? So.. Opinions?

I purchased a Mortal Kombat cabinet from Walmart on May 1, 2019. From assembly, the unit would freeze every few minutes and have to be reset. I have contacted support regarding this (Ticket #44043) and the experience was good, they have ordered a replacement part to be sent to me which I am currently awaiting.

Since contacting support, the unit has completely failed and will no longer turn on. I have verified that the power supply is functioning and outputting 12vDC, so I suspect that the replacement main board will solve this problem.

One issue that I am not fully satisfied with is the screen on the unit. The screen has a single stuck pixel(Stuck red) in the upper left quadrant. I did mention this and was informed that a single stuck pixel is not considered a problem.

While I do understand this is your policy, I am writing to ask for consideration of an exception to your policy on this. The stuck pixel draws attention to itself and does affect enjoyment of the unit.

Due to the fact that I have purchased what amounts to a $300 brick for 4-6 weeks until the replacement part arrives, and the fact that I will have a non-working unit for half of the warranty period, I do not feel that I am asking for anything excessive, just to have a fully properly working console, which is the expectation that anyone would have when purchasing a unit.

Again, I do understand what your policy is, but would appreciate consideration of this matter due to the issues I have experienced. I await your response.

May 20, 2019
Think of if you bought a.. Let's say gas grill.. "Some Assembly required"

You finish the 32 steps of putting it together to find that there's a hole in the gas line.

Walmart won't take the return unless it's disassembled and back in the box. And regardless.. You've got to put a new one together again.

Simpler to replace the failed part.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Your letter is good but I fixed it a little for you - I would focus on the fact that it doesn't turn on at all and the pixel is but one of several things wrong with it.

I purchased a Mortal Kombat cabinet from Walmart on May 1, 2019. From assembly, the unit would freeze every few minutes and have to be reset. I have contacted support regarding this (Ticket #44043) and the experience was good, they have ordered a replacement part to be sent to me which I am currently awaiting. However, the entire unit has failed and I am requesting a full replacement.

Since contacting support, the unit has completely failed and will no longer turn on. I have verified that the power supply is functioning and outputting 12vDC, so I suspect that the replacement main board will solve this problem.

An issue I originally contacted you about is that the screen has a single stuck pixel. I did mention this and was informed that a single stuck pixel is not considered a problem. It is a problem because it interferes with the screen but that is not the primary problem.

While I do understand this is your policy, this is not the major reason I am asking for the replacement - the entire unit doesn't turn on. I am writing to ask for consideration of an exception to your policy on this as the pixel is the least of the issues.

Due to the fact that I have purchased what amounts to a $300 brick for 4-6 weeks until the replacement part arrives, and the fact that I will have a non-working unit for half of the warranty period, I do not feel that I am asking for anything excessive, just to have a fully properly working console, which is the expectation that anyone would have when purchasing a unit.

Again, I do understand what your policy is, but would appreciate consideration of this matter due to the issues I have experienced. I await your response.

May 20, 2019
The fact that it doesn't turn on at all now is beside the point. They are fixing that by sending a replacement main board. In fact, I got a tracking number on that just about an hour ago, so apparently the 4-6 weeks may be far shorter.

The issue for me is that they do NOT consider the screen having a stuck pixel to be an issue. The intent of the letter is to ask them to reconsider, or make an exception to their policy of not replacing a screen for a single stuck pixel. I am not requesting a full replacement at all. I am requesting that they replace the screen due to the fact that it has a stuck pixel, regardless of the fact that their policy is that less than 5 stuck pixels is not considered a problem.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Why wouldn’t you want a full replacement? If you bought a brand new item and already have two things wrong with it, you are getting ripped off. You should have had a unit that works right out of the box.

That’s why I would have returned it, regardless of the size and if I had to take it apart. But that’s just me.

If that’s not what you want, then use your letter.

May 20, 2019
Why wouldn’t you want a full replacement? If you bought a brand new item and already have two things wrong with it, you are getting ripped off. You should have had a unit that works right out of the box.

That’s why I would have returned it, regardless of the size and if I had to take it apart. But that’s just me.

If that’s not what you want, then use your letter.
Because there are only 5 total components to the unit. The case, which is fine, the power supply, which is fine(and even if it weren't, it's something that can be sourced cheaply), the input panel, which I haven't had a problem with.. Plus the screen and main board.

Requesting a new unit would require me disassembling the unit I have, reboxing it and sending it back to them, while they send a new unit that perhaps could have damage in shipping. Plus, I would find that request to be asking for too much. Me shipping back 50 lbs of wood to get replacement of the 1 pound of electronics.. I'd say that has little chance of success. Just asking for too much from them.

The question here was whether or not the letter was succinct and to the point.. Which.. Since I've had to explain multiple times here what I'm looking for.. Tends to indicate to me that it certainly was not.

So.. then the question becomes, where is the letter confusing? What do I need to clean up on it?

Perhaps I should just leave out the second paragraph explaining that the unit has now failed completely, as that is.. Somewhat irrelevant to the situation at hand. They have sent the replacement part that will (In theory, at least) return the unit to at least working condition. As I mentioned in the first paragraph, I have no issues with how their support handled that part of it, it's actually gotten worse, but, that part of the issue should be resolved once the part is received and that I am happy with how that part of the issue has been handled.

I then go on to mention the issue that I am concerned about, and make the request of what I would like to resolve the issue, which is an exception to their policy that considers a display with a single stuck pixel to NOT be a failure.

I think what I am asking for there is certainly fair. I'm not asking for anything outrageous. I would find that acceptable.. I'm hoping that the request is simple enough that THEY would also find it acceptable and be willing to make an exception to their policy, even if it were considered a 'goodwill gesture'.