JR on passport but not on ticket

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 26, 2018
So, I made a colossal mistake and used Justfly.com to book tickets to Rome. (I know it was a mistake. Lesson already learned.) After I booked the tickets, I received my son's passport and realized that he has a JR after his last name, as he is a junior, but his ticket had been issued in his full name without the suffix. I called up JustFly.com and asked if they would add the JR to his last name. I mentioned to them that there had been no place on their website to put his suffix when ordering the tickets, to which they said, "too bad, your fault." Justfly.com came back and said that they could not make any corrections to the ticket per United's policy. They said the only thing they could do was: 1. Cancel my son's ticket. 2. Have me pay full price for a new ticket. 3. Ask United for a full refund and "hope" they give me my money back. This seemed crazy to me so I declined. I got off the phone with them and called United. United said they couldn't correct the ticket but they would be able to note the name concern in their database. When I look at my United flight, I can see after my son's name that there is now a little message that says his full name might not be on his boarding pass. So my question is, do I leave this alone now? Or am I going to show up at the airport in July and have a major issue because the JR is not on his ticket?

The only thing you may have to watch for is that the airline could cancel the father's ticket or the son's ticket if they're both flying and both names are identical. The airline might think it's a double booking unless they look at the age info, passport info, etc. entered in their system.

Jan 26, 2018
I am happy to report that we went on our trip and had absolutely no problems whatsoever. This issue has been a small worry in the back of my mind since January when I talked to JustFly.com. But my son went through several airports, customs, and immigration in multiple countries and no one even batted an eye. So relieved!! Thank you all for your advice!

Feb 21, 2018
My husband is a 3rd, and his driver's license has '3rd' while his passport has III. We've had bookings that sometimes have his suffix, and sometimes don't - and it's never been an issue.

What is incredibly common is when we book airfare and if I include the suffix as 'III' to match his passport, his ticket is almost always issued with three lower-case i's running right after the last letter of his last name, so it looks like his full name is Xxxxxiii. It's never been questioned by the TSA.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have to tell you that as a travel agent we have been seeing more and more airlines telling us not to worry about middle names on tickets and little things like this. And it’s not just me- many of our Agent friends are getting the same message from the airlines.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am happy to report that we went on our trip and had absolutely no problems whatsoever. This issue has been a small worry in the back of my mind since January when I talked to JustFly.com. But my son went through several airports, customs, and immigration in multiple countries and no one even batted an eye. So relieved!! Thank you all for your advice!
Very happy to read your news, mamabear. These are just the stickiest problems ... nobody in their right mind is going to toss out a tix for such a little detail and pay 5 times more for a new one. But still, you worry! It's always hard to advise our OPs, we can relate our own experiences but surely don't want to be responsible for someone's denied boarding. Thanks so much for letting us know.