JetBlue Lost Luggage Reimbursement

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 18, 2019
I am writing to express frustration with the JetBlue Airlines lost bag claim process. On August 10, 2019 my husband and I received a notice of a compensation of $810 for a golf travel bag, a golf bag with a full set of Callaway golf clubs, and related golf items. We only had receipts for the most recent purchases of irons, a golf shirt and shorts. We gave a list of items at replacement costs that reflected what was actually lost. The content is valued over $4000.00. It was not disputed that a golf travel bag with a golf bag in it was lost/stolen between Sacramento, CA and Long Beach, CA. airports on June 28, 2019, a non-stop approximately 1 hour flight. We met all requirements for check-in times. The bag was tagged and reported immediately upon arrival at Long Beach, once the bag did not show up. We were told by a baggage claim attendant the bag would be on the next day morning flight. That never happened. In our calculated compensation we were not even given credit for the actual travel bag, or golf bag as we were told there were no receipts of purchase. $810 in no way will cover the cost to replace a Callaway 14 club set, let alone the travel bag with a golf bag in it. The golf bag was lost or stolen in JetBlue’s care, yet the proof of burden is on us to have a receipt for every item. There must be some common sense applied to their compensation process. We were offered a travel voucher of $400 as our only other compensation, which should have already been given to us according to their written brochure, for the inconvenience my husband experienced on our trip. I am appalled at being treated as if we are trying to cheat the system, when we only want a fair compensation for what Jet Blue lost. According to the JetBlue limit of liability on domestic flights, that amount would be $3,500. We were also told to take it up with our home owners insurance. Well, we have a $1000 deductible, and our rate would go up $250 a year for five years. Does that seem right to anyone?
We sent a certified letter to the President/CEO of JetBlue Airlines requesting a review of their process. Also attached to the letter was a picture of my golf bag, to pose the question, would my husband carry in his golf bag any items less in value? I also sent an email to the Jet Blue's corporate communication email. Insisting reimbursement only be based on receipts is inappropriate and should be based on actual fair replacement costs. It has been 51 days since the bag was found to be missing. I am hoping for a timely positive response.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Mar 17, 2015
Also, you are not entitled to replacement value. You are entitled to depreciated value. I am not saying you should not get more, but leave the words replacement value out of the complaint. Unless you have receipts for everything and it was all brand new. Otherwise, some of the items were used and therefore not worth 100% of what was paid for them. Good luck with your writing campaign.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is really aggravating. Little question the bag was stolen at some point. I don't understand why you don't have receipts for the equipment ... Jet Blue can't possibly pay you for items that you can't substantiate. This is a real shame, and I'm very sorry to read that you've already contacted the CEO. I would make an all-out effort to find or obtain dupes of the receipts and start over. This is a great deal of money and worth some more effort to prove to JB the true value. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

Aug 18, 2019
Without receipts or pictures of what was in the bag they have no proof of what was actually there. You can say they were Callaways but really had a set from Walmart in the bag.

We have a process for how to write to a company :

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

And we have company contacts on top of our page. Writing to the CEO first is not what we recommend. The thread tells you why.
Thank you for your information. I will read the thread on the paper trail, and have printed out the Jet Blue contact information. What I did not indicate in my initial posting is why I do not have receipts dated before November 8, 2018. Our home is located in the Camp Fire area of northern California, and although our home survived, our out building structures did not, which included files stored on home and recreational purchases.

Aug 18, 2019
Also, you are not entitled to replacement value. You are entitled to depreciated value. I am not saying you should not get more, but leave the words replacement value out of the complaint. Unless you have receipts for everything and it was all brand new. Otherwise, some of the items were used and therefore not worth 100% of what was paid for them. Good luck with your writing campaign.
Thank you, will not use replacement value as I do understand depreciation is involved. However, I was trying to demonstrate the value of the content.

Aug 18, 2019
This is really aggravating. Little question the bag was stolen at some point. I don't understand why you don't have receipts for the equipment ... Jet Blue can't possibly pay you for items that you can't substantiate. This is a real shame, and I'm very sorry to read that you've already contacted the CEO. I would make an all-out effort to find or obtain dupes of the receipts and start over. This is a great deal of money and worth some more effort to prove to JB the true value. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.
I appreciate your input. Responded earlier to why we do not have past receipts before November 8, 2018. However, we will work on the most valuable items my husband has knowledge of where they were purchased.