JetBlue Airways

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 19, 2015
He says: "As a last attempt, I sent a summary to the CEO (of Jet Blue) Robin Hayes". That's the end of negotiating . . .
He wrote that the CEO did not respond -- but no idea when the email was written. However if I was the CEO I would not be fond of the beginning of the email:

It has been my understanding that JetBlue’s customer service reputation trends toward the really good, and more often than not, JetBlue does right. As you can see, I have tried to resolve my dilemma via your website, phone calls and contact information. If not for the snow storm of March 3-4 and my attempt to re book a flight in the event of my flight cancellation, I would not be requesting a refund. Yes, I have become painfully aware of the 24 hour/7 day policy (albeit very confusing when terms like “cancel within 24 hours for full refund”).

Doing right via customer service usually means correcting the problems on behalf of the company when the company makes a mistake. It does not mean taking ownership and correcting the mistake of the customer. The beginning of the email sounds as if JetBlue is to blame, when the customer did not understand the rules of weather waiver and the rules of the 24 hour free cancellation. At no point does it sound as if the OP contacted JetBlue or Travelocity about how to deal with the threatened snow storm. I always think it is better to admit fault and beg for an exception. And as JetBlue does fly from JFK to Charlotte the CEO may not find the argument that the credits will never to used to not be persuasive.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is a real shame. Part of today's difficulties between travellers and airlines comes from tavellers making several bookings to hedge their bets and then cancelling. That's why we have these awful cancel/change penalties. Airplanes flew with empty seats because people cancelled at the last minute. A flight with empty seats means that revenue is lost forever. It's just not a good idea because all you need is to get caught once, and your money is gone.

And I agree with Christina, the opening paragraph of your letter is guaranteed to annoy whoever is reading it at JetBlue. I wish we could be more help.

Apr 4, 2019
First, I would like to say thank you all for your swift responses. Some of you raised questions or were seeking clarification with regards to my posting. I will attempt to address them here:

I believe EWR (Newark airport) was listed as an impact city on the JetBlue winter storm advisory list.
The statement “listened to the news on the 3rd and instead of changing his flight on the 4th he actually purchased two new tickets — one for later on the 4th and one for the 5th which were not needed” is correct and was the driver for the flurry of bookings as it was critical that I arrive in FLL no later than Tuesday morning Mar 5.
I did end up taking my original flight 11:40 am, flight 305, Mar 4. The earlier flight JetBlue Airways 205, 9:58 am was canceled.
I did use your contact list at JetBlue and followed your suggestions of not going directly to the CEO, but try to resolve the issue by “going up the ladder” approach.
Sent 1st email on Tue 3/12/2019 11:00 PM to DearJetBlue@jetblue.com and customerrecovery@jetblue.com.
Sent 2nd email on Fri 3/15/2019 1:11 AM to Liliana.Petrova@jetblue.com
Sent 3rd email on Fri 3/15/2019 1:12 AM to timothy.pearlman@jetblue.com
Sent 4th email on Tuesday, March 19, 2019 12:07 AM to mst.george@jetblue.com
Last email on Sun 3/24/2019 6:26 PM to CEO Robin Hayes
JetBlue does fly to Charlotte from JFK, however this airport is not convenient as it is 55 miles away from my location.
Please don’t confuse “being upset” with “blaming my wife”. I find that statement rude and disrespectful.
My statement “that JetBlue’s customer service reputation trends toward the really good, and more often than not, JetBlue does right” was based on articles on websites like Bestcompany.com and Sharpencx.com and consumer feedback on Trip Advisor. All positive, no blame here.
Yes, I have become painfully aware of the 24 hour/7 day policy (albeit very confusing when terms like “cancel within 24 hours for full refund”). But then how do you explain these two additional bookings and cancellations with full refunds to my credit card?

Travelocity travel confirmation email date/time of Sun 3/3/2019 5:11 PM
Departure Mar 4
JetBlue Airways 905
Newark (EWR) 9:47pm
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 12:45am +1 day
Arrives on Mar 5, 2019
Itinerary # 7416588976690

Travelocity email date/time of Sun 3/3/2019 5:26 PM
Your booking has been cancelled.
Cancelled itinerary: Newark to Fort Lauderdale
Itinerary # 7416588976690

You will receive a refund of: $244.30
Airline confirmation XJCYUG (JetBlue Airways)
JetBlue Airways 905 operated by JetBlue Airways

Newark (EWR) 2:47AM
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 5:45AM
Traveler(s) MICHAEL TRAMA
Price summary
Traveler 1: Adult -$244.30
Flight -$213.95
Taxes & Fees -$30.35
Refund to original form of payment: -$244.30
$244.30 will be refunded by JetBlue Airways to the original form of payment within 7-10 business days.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Travelocity travel confirmation email date/time of Sun 3/3/2019 5:13 PM
Departure Mon, Mar 4
JetBlue Airways 205

Newark (EWR) 9:58am
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 1:12pm
Itinerary # 7416589512589

Travelocity email date/time of Mon 3/4/2019 12:57 AM
Your booking has been cancelled.
Cancelled itinerary: Newark to Fort Lauderdale

Itinerary # 7416589512589
You will receive a refund of: $244.30
Airline confirmation LOHALG (JetBlue Airways)
Departure Mon, Mar 4
JetBlue Airways 205 operated by JetBlue Airways
Newark (EWR) 2:58PM
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 6:12PM
Traveler(s) MICHAEL TRAMA

Price summary
Traveler 1: Adult -$244.30

Flight -$213.95
Taxes & Fees -$30.35

Refund to original form of payment: -$244.30
$244.30 will be refunded by JetBlue Airways
to the original form of payment within 7-10 business days.

Apr 4, 2019
Yes, I went to them first and explained to them the situation. They said we should have gone to their site first and canceled through their system. Since we went to JetBlue directly said it was out of their control..

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, since you have already used the recommendations we made about writing to each executive one at a time, leaving a week in between letters, we really can't do anything else. If you have all the correspondence you sent and have written as we tell you to, your only option is to complete another help request stating you followed our process for writing and you been denied by JetBlue. If the moderators think that they can do anything else, they will look into it.

I'm glad you didn't lose the entire amount and that you do have a credit to use within one year from the date originally booked as they could have charged you a cancellation fee and it appears they did not. This may be the best anyone can do.

To anyone reading this - we have seen countless issues exactly as this, where a consumer booked using an OTA and did not go back to the OTA when there was an issue. If you book through an OTA, you must go back to them if you are making any changes or cancellations.

Apr 4, 2019
So are you saying, based on my last line in my main post, "But then how do you explain these two additional bookings and cancellations with full refunds to my credit card?" that if I contacting Travelocity first this should have been an non issue? I got the gist what OTC means, but what does the acronym OTC stand for?

Sep 19, 2015
I am sorry if I may post sounded harsh I know you

It is interesting that Travelocity used the terms refund to credit card and — but I have a question — you state the amount spend was $853 and that is the amount of the credit

The emails from Travelocity list a refund of $244.30 each for the 2 tickets.

Did Travelocity say why they used the term refund? Was that their error?

What was the fare code and terms for the tickets?

Jan 6, 2015
OTC or OTA means "Online Travel Company" or "Online Travel Agency" (Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc.)

Apr 4, 2019
I am sorry if I may post sounded harsh I know you

It is interesting that Travelocity used the terms refund to credit card and — but I have a question — you state the amount spend was $853 and that is the amount of the credit

The emails from Travelocity list a refund of $244.30 each for the 2 tickets.

Did Travelocity say why they used the term refund? Was that their error?

What was the fare code and terms for the tickets?
I printed out exactly what was on Travelocity's email confirming the cancellations, word for word (Refund to original form of payment: -$244.30 . $244.30 will be refunded by JetBlue Airways to the original form of payment within 7-10 business days. )
These two additional bookings and cancellations with full refunds to my credit card were the same fare type as the two in question. They were all basic non-refundable tickets. The outlier within the $853 was the 2:14 flight which was $609. ($244 +609 = $853).

Sep 19, 2015
I printed out exactly what was on Travelocity's email confirming the cancellations, word for word (Refund to original form of payment: -$244.30 . $244.30 will be refunded by JetBlue Airways to the original form of payment within 7-10 business days. )
These two additional bookings and cancellations with full refunds to my credit card were the same fare type as the two in question. They were all basic non-refundable tickets. The outlier within the $853 was the 2:14 flight which was $609. ($244 +609 = $853).
The two refund mentioned itinerary ending in 2589 has a refund of $244.30 and ending 6690 has a refund of $244.30.

I am really confused as to what Travelocity is doing with these emails.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes - you MUST make all changes and cancellations through the company you booked with. You needed to have canceled through Travelocity since that is who you booked through. When you canceled with JetBlue directly it over rode what Travelocity can do.

Have you written to Travelocity and explained that you canceled it through JetBlue and they will not offer the cedit back to your credit card that Travelocity said you would receive? That JetBlue would only issue a future air credit?

Apr 4, 2017
If I am reading this correctly did you have a total of 4 tickets issued, 2 of which were cancelled through Travelocity and the 2 that were cancelled directly with JetBlue?
For any tickets issued by a travel agency they can be voided by the agency (Travelocity in this case) within 1 business day of being issued as long as it is before the travel. A voided ticket will either not post to your credit card or appear as a charge followed by a refund, thus Travelocity would say refund to avoid confusion. This means had those 2 tickets been cancelled through Travelocity this thread wouldn't have been necessary.

Since JetBlue did the cancellation they followed the DOT guidelines that allow it not to refund due to being within 7 days of travel, and thus took control away from Travelocity.

The one thing I would question is why JetBlue didn't advise your wife to call Travelocity.

Apr 4, 2019
Neil - your statement "When you canceled with JetBlue directly it over rode what Travelocity can do", is exactly what happened. It was an honest mistake.
I did contact Travelocity and Expedia and explained the situation... that they were canceled through JetBlue and they will not offer the credit back to my credit card. Travelocity never said I would receive credit to my CC. They said it was out of their hands. You are correct, JetBlue would only issue a future air credit.

The reason I posted the two Itineraries/cancellations/refund confirmations from Travelocity (74xxxxxxxxxxx & 7416xxxxxxxxx) was to demonstrate the dichotomy between the Travelocity and JetBlue on the 24 hour rule.

Edited by a moderator to remove confirmation numbers

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 4, 2019
If I am reading this correctly did you have a total of 4 tickets issued, 2 of which were cancelled through Travelocity and the 2 that were cancelled directly with JetBlue?
For any tickets issued by a travel agency they can be voided by the agency (Travelocity in this case) within 1 business day of being issued as long as it is before the travel. A voided ticket will either not post to your credit card or appear as a charge followed by a refund, thus Travelocity would say refund to avoid confusion. This means had those 2 tickets been cancelled through Travelocity this thread wouldn't have been necessary.

Since JetBlue did the cancellation they followed the DOT guidelines that allow it not to refund due to being within 7 days of travel, and thus took control away from Travelocity.

The one thing I would question is why JetBlue didn't advise your wife to call Travelocity.
Yes, had a total of 4 tickets issued, 2 of which were cancelled through Travelocity and the 2 that were cancelled directly with JetBlue.

I agree had those 2 tickets been cancelled through Travelocity this thread wouldn't have been necessary.

Great point... on why JetBlue didn't advise your wife to call Travelocity. Common sense would say you need to go back to the originator of the purchase to deal with a refund

Jan 6, 2015
In monitoring this thread, I have tried to understand all the moving parts and came up with the following. If any of this is wrong, please correct:

Original flight: March 4 @ 11:40 am (you took this one)
You booked a one-way: March 4th @ 2:14 pm, and March 5th @ 9:58 AM
The earlier flight JetBlue Airways 205, 9:58 am was canceled (you don't say by whom)

Travelocity has refunded you for:
  • Newark (EWR) 2:47AM
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 5:45AM
  • Refund to original form of payment: -$244.30
and . . .
  • Newark (EWR) 2:58PM
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 6:12PM
  • Refund to original form of payment: -$244.30
  • the total refund is thus $488.60
Jetblue then provided airline credits for $853?

Here are the relevant policies from Jetblue:

Cancellations within 24 Hours
Customers will have 24 hours from the time of their original booking to cancel their reservation without being charged a cancellation fee, regardless of fare selected, if travel was booked seven (7) days or more prior to the departure date and the entire booking must be cancelled.

Nonrefundable Fares
For JetBlue nonrefundable fares, changes or cancellations may be made prior to scheduled departure for a per-person change/cancel fee plus any applicable difference in airfare. Any remaining balance will be placed in a JetBlue air-only credit and may be applied toward future travel for one year from date of issuance.

If I understand that correctly, Jetblue won't, per policy, refund you. However, per policy, they can and have issued "JetBlue air-only credit".

Jan 11, 2017
VoR61, here is my version, based on the e-mails and OP-s explanation in post #32:
OP bought 5 (!!!) tickets:
#1 : on February 2 - for the March 4 11:40 flight $244
#2: on March 3 (@5:11 PM) - for the March 4 9:47 PM flight $244
he canceled it 15 min later, at 5:25PM - got refund $244
#3 : on March 4 - (@5:13PM) - for the March 4 9:58 AM flight $244
he canceled it March 3d 10:47 AM - got refund @244

THEN he bought
#4: on March 4 - for the March 4 2:14 PM flight $609
#5: on March 4 - for the March 5 9:58 AM flight $244

His wife canceled #4 an #5 on March 4th, when he was on the plane already. He want refund for ticket #4 and #5.
Considering, that ailrines really do not like specualtive bookings, he was very lucky, that Jet Blue did not cancel his original flight. (As other airlines might have done.) To give full refund would encourage similar 'overbookings'.