• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Aug 18, 2017
Our Jet Blue flight from Quito (UIO) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) on 2 August. Hours before the flight, we received an email that the flight was cancelled. I immediately called Jet Blue and found out that they would not be able to rebook us for another FIVE days. My three daughters and I would be stranded in a foreign country, missing important work and school events. I had to find another flight, in hopes of getting us home as soon as possible. I eventually found a flight on United, which at least only got us home three days later. Jet Blue only offered us a refund on the unused portion of the ticket. This still left us out of pocket more than $5,000. They would not offer us any lodging or food reimbursement and would not offer us seats on any other airline. This same flight was cancelled three times during the month. Jet Blue claimed our flight was cancelled due to weather, although another American Airlines flight left the night we were supposed to have left without problem flying to Miami. Apparently their ONE airplane was not able to leave FLL and therefore never was able to complete the roundtrip back to FLL from UIO. It seems as if Jet Blue needs a larger fleet if it is going to strand families for so long in foreign countries.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, DOT rules only require that if a flight is canceled, the airline is required to do one of two things:

-rebook you on the next available flight Or

-give you a full refunded the unused part of your trip.

They did what is required by the DOT - unfortunately for you the next available flight wasn't for 5 days. Perhaps there was a problem wth weather in FLL that might have caused the cancellation.

Here are you rights according to the DOT

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

When you fly an airline wth only one flight out each day this is a terrible example of what can happen with a cancellation.

You might want to file a DOT complaint if you believe that the outgoing flight cancellation was within control of Jet Blue.

https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escomplaint/ConsumerForm.cfm

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I love them too but I would choose a different airline to some countries that have more then one flight a day. Delta or AA or an airline specializing in that area of the world.

I've flown there on the airlines that specialize in that area of the world and no problems because they aren't depend at on an incoming flight

Jul 27, 2016
One thing to note, for reference. Quito is at very high altitude (nearly 10k feet). That means planes need more runway to take off (lower air pressure means less lift at a given speed) at a given weight, which means lower maximum takeoff weight. If the weather is unusually warm, then that means the maximum takeoff weight is further reduced. Lower max weight equals less fuel capacity, means shorter range.

UIO-FLL is a 1,900 mile flight which B6 flies with an Airbus 320, which has a range of around 2,700 miles assuming a full fuel load. If they're significantly weight-restricted due to altitude and temperature, they may not be able to carry enough fuel to make that trip and have sufficient reserves.

I remember when they announced LIM and UIO as destinations, there was a lot of speculation that they'd be significantly weight-restricted due to the altitudes.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Awful experience, I agree with you. It seems that today a traveller needs to do some in-depth research or rely on a good travel agent. Who would think that you have to worry about how many flights per day an airline has? Or the on-time records of different flights? Or the incidence of mishandled baggage?

But this kind of thing comes up all the time with low-cost airlines and full flights. In the good ol' days, you'd be reaccommodated on another airline without much fuss, but most of those interline agreements are long gone, except on the legacy carriers ... and I'm not sure about them today either.