Jet Blue refuses to compensate for their mistake in notifying us of schedule change

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 25, 2021
The reason I've resorted to this is because I am feeling extremely frustrated and I don't feel Jet Blue has taken the time to listen to my complaint and issue. I feel like I have been dismissed.

In addition, I have been a loyal Jet Blue customer for as long as I can remember. I have the Jet Blue credit card, and have not flown another airline in years. I have never had an issue like this with Jet Blue and am so disappointed in how this has been handled.

I would like to explain the series of events that recently happened to myself and my family. I am asking to be compensated, or to receive travel vouchers to cover at minimum the additional expenses we incurred because of what I believe is an error on Jet Blue's end. At this point, not one person I have spoken to, or emailed can explain, or is willing to explain how this could have happened.

In December 2020, I booked flights for myself and my family departing from Hartford arriving in Las Vegas on April 9, 2021. I was thrilled to have found direct flights from Hartford on the exact dates we needed.

On March 1, I received an email that our flights had been cancelled. The next day, on March 2, I received an email with our NEW flight information, and the flights listed were exactly as I booked. You will see from the email on March 2, it states our flight was scheduled for April 9, NOT April 8. I accepted this, because I was happy with the flights as listed in the email. I thought maybe it was a flight number change, or gate change, but because the dates and times were the same I thought we were all set.

On April 8, I went to check us in for our flights and found that our flight on April 9 had been moved to April 8 at approximately 6:30 pm. This was the first time I heard about this change. Luckily, we live near the airport, so we were able to rush there and made our flight. As a consequence, I had to now pay for an extra night hotel in Las Vegas, transfers to and from the airport to the hotel and an extra night parking at Park N Fly.

While on the plane, we were speaking to a couple who said they had the same issue we did but in addition, our return flight home to Hartford on April 17 had been cancelled. They were scheduled to be on the same return flight we were on, so I now realized we no longer had return flights home. Again, as you can see from the March 2 email, our flights were listed as April 17, NOT cancelled.

When I got off the plane, I spent an hour and a half working with an agent to find a flight home. The agent indicated to me that Jet Blue had upgraded their system and that they had several issues similar to mine where people were not notified of flight changes. The agent in Las Vegas was extremely nice and understanding. She tried to get a manager to help us and said we would be entitled to vouchers due to this. Unfortunately, the manager got tied up and we were never able to connect. In hindsight, I wish we had waited for him, but at 11:30 pm, it was time for us to leave for the hotel.

The only return flight we could get was into Boston. Thus I had to rent a car to drive home from Boston to Hartford.

When I returned home, I spent an hour on hold trying to speak to someone in customer service at Jet Blue. That representative could not help me. She tried to transfer me to a supervisor and were were disconnected. I called back and spent another hour on hold, only to be told by a manager that we were notified in February of the cancellation. I told her we were not, that we only received the two emails on March 1 and 2. She informed me that emails were sent to everyone in our family. I told her only one family member received the email. She then told me that she could see the emails on March 1 and 2, but could not see what they said, which I find hard to believe. So as it turns out, Customer service really can't help you at all which makes no sense to me.

Finally, the supervisor informed me my ONLY recourse was to email. I found the email responses from Jet Blue to be dismissive and short. They did not even take the time to review the emails I had that showed I was not at fault for this. I replied twice after the last response from Jet Blue and have not heard back since.

I am attaching the emails I received from Jet Blue as well as the emails from customer service.

I am begging you to please review this. We incurred $577 of additional expenses we do not have money to pay for because of your error. I am a seasoned traveler and have dealt with flight changes before. I assure you if I had been notified that our flights had been changed or cancelled, I would have made proper arrangements.

I am appalled at how dismissive your customer service team has been. I was told they don't have access to information they need, and that they are severely behind and that they really can't offer any help to customers in my position. As you can see from the emails, customer service basically stopped responding to me.

I also don't understand why the customer service agent would tell me that all family members flying received emails when that wasn't true according to my email correspondence with Jet Blue. I think this is something you should consider changing. The tickets were booked in my daughters name because we had travel bank credits from last year. However, we are all True Blue members and have email and phone numbers on file. Why wouldn't you notify everyone on the flight that there had been changes? It seems to me you would want everyone as informed as possible of changes?

This has been so frustrating. As a loyal customer to Jet Blue I feel extremely undervalued. I realize you are a large corporation, but don't you want to take care of your customers?

I am asking for an explanation and acknowledgement that this was an error on your end and to make it right. I would still like to fly Jet Blue, but this has been a terrible experience.

Thank you for taking the time to read my email and review my complaint.

Below are the responses I received from Jet Blue EXECUTIVES. Very very disappointing. They offered to compensate us $150 out of $600.
I have had issues with Jet Blue in the past and they have always been generous with travel vouchers to make up for a bad experience. I don't know why they are fighting me so much on this? IT is clearly an issue with their system? The gate attendant told me they had many issues with their notifications? Why not acknowledge, that, apologize, make it right and move on? I am attaching the emails I received proving that this was their mistake.

What is our recourse with these large corporations? They can just take advantage of their customers and we have no recourse?

The response is below:

Thank you for the quick response Debbie.
I am working remotely and therefore missed your call. So out of the $577 worth of expenses, you will only reimburse one night hotel stay?
I'm sure why you can see why that would be unacceptable to us.
In addition, I would really like an acknowledgement that there was a gross error on the part of your company.
I can accept you only email the first person on the reservation, but can you acknowledge that the email itself was wrong and that we suffered these expenses due to your error?
I am attaching the receipts for everything we had to pay out of pocket.
If you are willing to discuss further, my cell phone number is xxx-xxx-xxxx. It sounds to me like you are saying I am just out of luck?
Amy

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 11:53 AM JetBlue <[email protected]> wrote:
Dear Amy,

On behalf of Jesse Horsley we are responding to your recent email. We will ensure that our communication is shared with him.

I have called you today and left a voicemail and regret that I was unable to speak with your directly.

We sincerely apologize for the frustration you and your family experienced with the schedule changes in reference to Confirmation RWGSGR. We understand how frustrating this can be and we regret that you were affected by several changes.

As clarification, generally an email is sent to the first email listed on a reservation when the reservation was booked. We also apologize for the difficulties experienced when calling and communicating by email.

Generally reimbursement for expenses isn't offered; although, under the circumstances of your experience, we can reimburse up to $150 a day for your hotel expense as an expression apology. You are welcome to reply to this email with the receipt attached and we will be happy to review it for reimbursement.
if you purchased or have travel insurance, you can submit your other expenses to your travel insurance company for consideration.

We value you and your family as loyal JetBlue customers and we look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Debbie Castleton
JetBlue | Customer Support
Executive Offices

Edited by moderator to remove attachments with personal emails shown and removed personal phone number.

Last edited by a moderator:

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Before I offer my thoughts, I would like to present what I believe to be the highlights of your experience:
• In December 2020, I booked flights for myself and my family departing from Hartford arriving in Las Vegas on April 9, 2021
• On April 2nd, I received an email that our flights had been rescheduled for April 9th (vs April 8th, which I accepted
• On April 8, I went to check us in for our flights and found that our flight on April 9 had been moved to April 8 at approximately 6:30 pm
• This was the first time I had heard about this change, but luckily, we were able to arrive in time for our flight
• As a consequence, I had to now pay for an extra night hotel in Las Vegas, transfers to and from the airport and an extra night parking at Park N Fly
• In addition, we learned that our return flight home to Hartford on April 17th had been cancelled
• The only return flight we could get was into Boston, which required us to rent a car to drive home from Boston to Hartford
• We incurred $577 of additional expenses, for which we wish to be reimbursed but have only been offered $150 (Debbie Castleton for Jesse Horsley)
In addition, you have informed them that " found the email responses from Jet Blue to be dismissive and short", "I am appalled at how dismissive your customer service team has been", and "don't you want to take care of your customers?"".

When you're seeking a favorable response, it's important to avoid the use of inflammatory words. The facts should be presented in a concise manner that can be easily read in under 5 minutes, followed by a polite, reasonable request. Even if your perceptions are correct, they hinder your chances for a goodwill response

Your next step should be to escalate this VIA EMAIL using the contacts in the following link:
JetBlue
do not include attachments - - offer instead to send them upon request (the might be "undeliverable" otherwise)
begin with the Secondary Contact and give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

Share only the highlights and remain polite always . . .

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Curious to what you would have done differently if you were informed prior to the start of your trip regarding the cancelled flight home? Flight cancellations can happen and are more frequent nowadays due to the pandemic. Once you arrived in Las Vegas the flight could have been cancelled and you would have been faced with the same dilemma....accept the new flight or receive a refund for that portion of your ticket. The airlines have been very clear on this for years now.

Also, did all passengers check their junk folder to see if the emails from Jet Blue were there prior to your departure? Just yesterday, I sent myself an email with a link in it and my email program tossed it into my junk folder!

kenish

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
I'm sorry about your frustrating experience. It sounds like JetBlue did email you about the cancellation but the info was wrong. They admitted it was their error, but when I receive any email about my upcoming travel I go online and double-check my reservation and itinerary.

Unfortunately when you purchase an airline ticket, you agree to their "Contract of Carriage". JetBlue, like all airlines, states they are not responsible for incidental damages:

25. Failure to Operate as Scheduled

a. Whenever Carrier cancels or otherwise fails to operate any scheduled flight, Carrier will, at the request of the Passenger, either (i) transport the Passenger on another of Carrier’s flights on which space is available in the same class of service at no additional charge, or (ii) provide Passenger with a full refund in accordance with Section 26. Except as may be provided in Section 37, Carrier shall have no other liability or responsibility to any Passenger as a result of a failure to operate any flight. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL CARRIER BE LIABLE TO ANY PASSENGER FOR ANY TYPE OF SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES.

b. Carrier will endeavor to carry Passengers and their baggage with reasonable dispatch, but times shown in schedules or elsewhere are not guaranteed and form no part of this Contract of Carriage. Carrier may, without notice, substitute alternate carriers or aircraft and, if necessary, may alter or omit intermediate stops shown on the reservation. All schedules are subject to change without notice. Carrier is not responsible and assumes no liability for failure to make connections on its own flights or the flights of any other airline. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL CARRIER BE LIABLE TO ANY PASSENGER FOR ANY TYPE OF SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES.

Section b is standard for all airlines...their published schedules are more or less "suggestions" and the airline only needs to get you from A to B eventually!

Thought exercise- if you had been notified a week in advance with the correct schedule change information, your options would have been to cancel and book with another airline, change your JetBlue flights, cancel your entire trip, or leave a day earlier as you did. All of these except completely calling off your trip would unfortunately cause added expenses. Would you have chosen a different option? Returning home, there was the option of taking the next available JetBlue flight to BDL but you chose to fly to BOS instead. At that point, JetBlue's responsibility ended upon arrival at BOS.

I don't want to "blame the victim", but your remedies are pretty limited by the CoC and the voluntary choices you made. JetBlue's $150 compensation is a surprising goodwill gesture. Definitely pursue further compensation but the tone should be "artful polite begging" as post #2 advises. Please keep us updated.

PS- JetBlue Contract of Carriage (section 25 is the core of your situation). https://www.jetblue.com/magnoliapublic/dam/ui-assets/p/contract_of_carriage.pdf

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I empathize with your situation, Amy, but airlines are under such pressure, and have been for more than a year, that these things do happen, and quite often. They were scrambling in the beginning of the virus disaster just to stay barely on top of operations ... and doing so with a greatly reduced and displaced work force. Anyone travelling during this pandemic needs to be super careful about each and every detail. Flights are rescheduled and cancelled much too often these days. The airline's first priority is to stay solvent and try to regain the status quo to restart a revenue stream. Reservations need to be checked regularly. When you receive a communication, even if looks benign, you have to follow up on it. People place far too much trust in electronic communications these days. The system is a wonderful time and energy saver, but it has to be monitored by the traveller. All aspects of a trip need to be reviewed on a regular basis. Airlines make lots of mistakes in normal times, and I'm frankly impressed that JetBlue, or any airline, has been able to hold things together during this awful time. Increased mistakes and glitches have been a large factor in the ability to obtain help from their service centers ... not to mention the horrendous hold times just to speak to an agent. My colleagues have given you all the ammunition you need to receive some compensation for your very unpleasant experience. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.

Apr 25, 2021
First of all, I am a seasoned traveler and know better than anyone that changes happen. I have never had this problem with Jet Blue. In the past, if there has been a change we received sufficient notification and were able to react appropriately. My issue here is that I was told by the gate agent that Jet Blue had several issues related to a technology upgrade they just did, and others had this same issue. If that is the case, they should just acknowledge there was an error on their end, the email was sent to us in error and they will make sure to make things right.
To respond to your questions, those are the ONLY two emails we received from Jet Blue. I did not receive a reminder to check in, or that our flights had changed after the March 2 email. Interestingly, when I was flying home, I started received email updates that our flight was departing, landing, etc. Somehow, their technology started working.
To answer the question about what I would have done if I had known earlier, 1) I could have researched hotels more thoroughly to try to get a better rate, 2) I could have found a ride to Boston from Hartford instead of paying the rental car fee. With it being so last minute, I didn't have any other options.
$150 does not make up for the $600 out of pocket we had to spend.

I'm sorry about your frustrating experience. It sounds like JetBlue did email you about the cancellation but the info was wrong. They admitted it was their error, but when I receive any email about my upcoming travel I go online and double-check my reservation and itinerary.

Unfortunately when you purchase an airline ticket, you agree to their "Contract of Carriage". JetBlue, like all airlines, states they are not responsible for incidental damages:

a. Whenever Carrier cancels or otherwise fails to operate any scheduled flight, Carrier will, at the request of the Passenger, either (i) transport the Passenger on another of Carrier’s flights on which space is available in the same class of service at no additional charge, or (ii) provide Passenger with a full refund in accordance with Section 26. Except as may be provided in Section 37, Carrier shall have no other liability or responsibility to any Passenger as a result of a failure to operate any flight. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL CARRIER BE LIABLE TO ANY PASSENGER FOR ANY TYPE OF SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES.

b. Carrier will endeavor to carry Passengers and their baggage with reasonable dispatch, but times shown in schedules or elsewhere are not guaranteed and form no part of this Contract of Carriage. Carrier may, without notice, substitute alternate carriers or aircraft and, if necessary, may alter or omit intermediate stops shown on the reservation. All schedules are subject to change without notice. Carrier is not responsible and assumes no liability for failure to make connections on its own flights or the flights of any other airline. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL CARRIER BE LIABLE TO ANY PASSENGER FOR ANY TYPE OF SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES.

Section b is standard for all airlines...their published schedules are more or less "suggestions" and the airline only needs to get you from A to B eventually!

Thought exercise- if you had been notified a week in advance with the correct schedule change information, your options would have been to cancel and book with another airline, change your JetBlue flights, cancel your entire trip, or leave a day earlier as you did. All of these except completely calling off your trip would unfortunately cause added expenses. Would you have chosen a different option? Returning home, there was the option of taking the next available JetBlue flight to BDL but you chose to fly to BOS instead. At that point, JetBlue's responsibility ended upon arrival at BOS.

I don't want to "blame the victim", but your remedies are pretty limited by the CoC and the voluntary choices you made. JetBlue's $150 compensation is a surprising goodwill gesture. Definitely pursue further compensation but the tone should be "artful polite begging" as post #2 advises. Please keep us updated.

PS- JetBlue Contract of Carriage (section 25 is the core of your situation). https://www.jetblue.com/magnoliapublic/dam/ui-assets/p/contract_of_carriage.pdf

In response to this, they did offer us a flight to Hartford, but not until the following Tuesday. So we would have had to stay an additional 3 nights, my husband and I would have missed work and the kids school. This was not an acceptable option for us. Our only option to get home was to fly into Boston.

If we had been notified earlier, I would have been able to get a ride from Boston to Hartford, instead of rent a car. It was last minute and no one was available to give us a ride.

In addition, they did not put us on a new return flight. They simply cancelled it, and by the way, did not refund our money. We were just left without money and without a flight.

Reactions: FrankL183
Apr 25, 2021
JetBlue emails you as soon as you can do online check in- 24 hours before the flight. Did they email you for the outgoing flight? And if you use Gmail, these sometimes go into the promotions folder.
The March 1 and March 2 emails are the ONLY emails I received from Jet Blue. Typically I get reminders to check in etc. I was busy at work trying to get ready to leave for vacation and totally forgot to check in for our flights, which is the reason I didn't get to it until about 2 that day. If I had done it any later I would have missed my flight.

Clearly Jet Blue had a technology issue. I would hope they would acknowledge that.

Apr 25, 2021
Curious to what you would have done differently if you were informed prior to the start of your trip regarding the cancelled flight home? Flight cancellations can happen and are more frequent nowadays due to the pandemic. Once you arrived in Las Vegas the flight could have been cancelled and you would have been faced with the same dilemma....accept the new flight or receive a refund for that portion of your ticket. The airlines have been very clear on this for years now.

Also, did all passengers check their junk folder to see if the emails from Jet Blue were there prior to your departure? Just yesterday, I sent myself an email with a link in it and my email program tossed it into my junk folder!
I would have had time to book a more reasonable hotel, and to try to arrange a ride from Boston instead of having to rent a car.

Apr 25, 2021
I empathize with your situation, Amy, but airlines are under such pressure, and have been for more than a year, that these things do happen, and quite often. They were scrambling in the beginning of the virus disaster just to stay barely on top of operations ... and doing so with a greatly reduced and displaced work force. Anyone travelling during this pandemic needs to be super careful about each and every detail. Flights are rescheduled and cancelled much too often these days. The airline's first priority is to stay solvent and try to regain the status quo to restart a revenue stream. Reservations need to be checked regularly. When you receive a communication, even if looks benign, you have to follow up on it. People place far too much trust in electronic communications these days. The system is a wonderful time and energy saver, but it has to be monitored by the traveller. All aspects of a trip need to be reviewed on a regular basis. Airlines make lots of mistakes in normal times, and I'm frankly impressed that JetBlue, or any airline, has been able to hold things together during this awful time. Increased mistakes and glitches have been a large factor in the ability to obtain help from their service centers ... not to mention the horrendous hold times just to speak to an agent. My colleagues have given you all the ammunition you need to receive some compensation for your very unpleasant experience. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.
So the last communication I received from Jet Blue showed my flights as I booked them. I had no reason to think they would be different.
In addition, if they had cancelled my flight, why wasn't I given any information about a refund? They simply cancelled the flight without even refunding us? That would have been a good clue I needed to do something, right?

Apr 25, 2021
First of all, I am a seasoned traveler and know better than anyone that changes happen. I have never had this problem with Jet Blue. In the past, if there has been a change we received sufficient notification and were able to react appropriately. My issue here is that I was told by the gate agent that Jet Blue had several issues related to a technology upgrade they just did, and others had this same issue. If that is the case, they should just acknowledge there was an error on their end, the email was sent to us in error and they will make sure to make things right.
To respond to your questions, those are the ONLY two emails we received from Jet Blue. I did not receive a reminder to check in, or that our flights had changed after the March 2 email. Interestingly, when I was flying home, I started received email updates that our flight was departing, landing, etc. Somehow, their technology started working.
To answer the question about what I would have done if I had known earlier, 1) I could have researched hotels more thoroughly to try to get a better rate, 2) I could have found a ride to Boston from Hartford instead of paying the rental car fee. With it being so last minute, I didn't have any other options.
$150 does not make up for the $600 out of pocket we had to spend.

In response to this, they did offer us a flight to Hartford, but not until the following Tuesday. So we would have had to stay an additional 3 nights, my husband and I would have missed work and the kids school. This was not an acceptable option for us. Our only option to get home was to fly into Boston.

If we had been notified earlier, I would have been able to get a ride from Boston to Hartford, instead of rent a car. It was last minute and no one was available to give us a ride.

In addition, they did not put us on a new return flight. They simply cancelled it, and by the way, did not refund our money. We were just left without money and without a flight.
Also, when we tried to reschedule, they told us we would have to pay the "up charge" because it was within 7 days of travelling.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have you followed our process of writing?

Reactions: Patina
Apr 25, 2021
Yes. I received an email this morning, still offering only the $150 reimbursement. The conversation has been civil thus far.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
if you’ve followed our process- writing to each executive, leaving a week in between each email, file another help request and state that you have followed our writing procedure and haven’t received a satisfying response. The advocates will ask for all your correspondence and let you know if they think they can do anything else.

Sep 27, 2018

My Yahoo email seems to be very random in what gets put in spam, my wife might send me 5 emails, 4 arrive and 1 goes to spam. Going in and and fixing the settings seems to be only a temporary solution.

Reactions: Comicman and Patina