Jet Airways uncertain future – holding tickets for summer travel.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 19, 2015
Yes, I've been tracking the developments regularly. As bad as things look right now there's the possibility of a turn around since Etihad has formally expressed interest in taking over the airline. Still remains to be seen how this will unfold.
At this point I am not sure I would wait for Etihad.

Most of the leased planes have been seized by the leasing company. Staff has still not been paid since December. Debts are staggeringly high.

Some have expressed interest but they have not seen the financials and there may be a reduction of services — for instance Etihad may want to control Jet as a more domestic airline and route passengers onto their transatlantic flights and not on KLM or Delta.

Etihad is embroiled in the bankruptcy case of Air Berlin— so there may be incentive to be financially conservative.

I am skeptical that anything will happen quickly.

I would consider Neil’s advice and look into contacting credit card and rebooking.

Mar 14, 2018
I wouldn't be waiting - the longer you wait for something to happen the higher the cost of new tickets will be. I would call your credit card company NOW and tell them they stopped flying and you want to do a dispute.

I think there's a lot of risk to this approach. While Jet is very weak financially, they haven't gone out of business and haven't cancelled the OP's flight in July. You can't dispute a charge because the vendor is shaky--only because they don't deliver what you purchased.

Here's the risk: The OP disputes the charge, gets a provisional credit and uses that to purchase new tickets. In the meantime, Jet gets bailed out by Etihad/another airline/the Indian government and continues to fly to Amsterdam. The OP will lose the dispute and have two sets of tickets to India.

If the OP does decide to go this route, it would be worth paying a bit more to ensure the new tickets can be cancelled for a reasonable fee and that he can make use of the resulting credit.

Sep 19, 2015
I think there's a lot of risk to this approach. While Jet is very weak financially, they haven't gone out of business and haven't cancelled the OP's flight in July. You can't dispute a charge because the vendor is shaky--only because they don't deliver what you purchased.

Here's the risk: The OP disputes the charge, gets a provisional credit and uses that to purchase new tickets. In the meantime, Jet gets bailed out by Etihad/another airline/the Indian government and continues to fly to Amsterdam. The OP will lose the dispute and have two sets of tickets to India.

If the OP does decide to go this route, it would be worth paying a bit more to ensure the new tickets can be cancelled for a reasonable fee and that he can make use of the resulting credit.
SMD I believe Jet has cancelled all international flights and the OP is on a Jet operated flight from Amsterdam to India.

From the Economic Times of India

“Jet Airways announced on Thursday evening that it was cancelling its remaining overseas flights to Amsterdam, Paris and London. ET had reported that over the past few months, Jet had suspended operations in more than 15 short haul destinations, including the Gulf, South East Asia and SAARC countries.”

One plane was seized by a creditor right before it was to fly to Mumbai.

People are stranded in London, Amsterdam, Mumbai etc.

Mar 14, 2018
SMD I believe Jet has cancelled all international flights and the OP is on a Jet operated flight from Amsterdam to India.
They cancelled all international flights from 4/12-4/15. Other international flights have been cancelled through early May. They haven't yet announced any July cancellations. They have a list on their web site: https://www.jetairways.com/documents/Cancellation_13Apr.pdf

Of course, they may cancel more on Monday. At this point, though, the OPs flight has not been cancelled.

Mar 14, 2018
I wouldn’t wait but that’s me. The prices of another flight are just going to go up. If worst comes to worst,
buy a refundable ticket and cancel it later if you need to.

That’s just what I would do.
I agree. As I said, I would make sure the backup tickets I bought could be cancelled for a reasonable fee and that they were on an airline where I could use the resulting credit.

Apr 3, 2019
Thank you all for your continued and helpful input. While it's still not clear how this will end, for now the airline has not officially declared bankruptcy and there's not yet any indication that flights on my dates have been cancelled, so I'll give this time to unfold more definitively. Fares on our travel dates have already doubled since we purchased in January so we're reconciled with not traveling at all if the airline officially goes bust and we are unable to use the existing tickets.

Sep 19, 2015
Thank you all for your continued and helpful input. While it's still not clear how this will end, for now the airline has not officially declared bankruptcy and there's not yet any indication that flights on my dates have been cancelled, so I'll give this time to unfold more definitively. Fares on our travel dates have already doubled since we purchased in January so we're reconciled with not traveling at all if the airline officially goes bust and we are unable to use the existing tickets.
I tried to make a test booking and there are no flights offered from Amsterdam to Mumbai in July. Perhaps there will be more information this week,

Apr 3, 2019
I tried to make a test booking and there are no flights offered from Amsterdam to Mumbai in July. Perhaps there will be more information this week,
It looks like they have ceased bookings while the banks try to resolve this situation. Yesterday I tried a test booking on KLM which normally offered a Jet Airways connection from Amsterdam into India, but that option no longer shows up and the only options currently showing up are in conjunction with Air France and Delta. A very difficult situation for passengers stranded due to current cancellations.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is just flat-out horrible. If you had thousands of dollars laying around you could do all kinds of stuff, book refundable tix, rebook on another airline ... to name a couple. Thank goodness your trip isn't until July ... there's always hope that something positive will happen for the tix-holders.

These are long shots, , very long shots ... but I would call KLM and discuss any possible resolutions with them. Would they consider issuing you tix from the US to Amsterdam at no additional cost? If all else fails, you could at least have some time in Holland, a fascinating country ... and close by train to all the other western European countries. The perks with your Visa card are bank-driven ... if your Visa is one of the top tier cards (such as Chase Sapphire Reserve) there might be some help there. It's worth a call ... after you read your Benefits Guide carefully.

I REALLY admire your attitude while you watch this fiasco develop. It's really the only way to get through it without losing your mind. Your pragmatism is very healthy for your mental state! And you're on top of the news and developments, that's so important. I can't help thinking that there are thousands of people in your situation, and that someone will step up with SOMETHING ... if you're staying attuned to the news, you will be in a terrific position to act immediately. Please keep us posted on how things are developing. And GOOD LUCK!

Apr 3, 2019
This is just flat-out horrible. If you had thousands of dollars laying around you could do all kinds of stuff, book refundable tix, rebook on another airline ... to name a couple. Thank goodness your trip isn't until July ... there's always hope that something positive will happen for the tix-holders.

These are long shots, , very long shots ... but I would call KLM and discuss any possible resolutions with them. Would they consider issuing you tix from the US to Amsterdam at no additional cost? If all else fails, you could at least have some time in Holland, a fascinating country ... and close by train to all the other western European countries. The perks with your Visa card are bank-driven ... if your Visa is one of the top tier cards (such as Chase Sapphire Reserve) there might be some help there. It's worth a call ... after you read your Benefits Guide carefully.

I REALLY admire your attitude while you watch this fiasco develop. It's really the only way to get through it without losing your mind. Your pragmatism is very healthy for your mental state! And you're on top of the news and developments, that's so important. I can't help thinking that there are thousands of people in your situation, and that someone will step up with SOMETHING ... if you're staying attuned to the news, you will be in a terrific position to act immediately. Please keep us posted on how things are developing. And GOOD LUCK!
Truly appreciate your suggestions, support and kind words. Thank you!! I'll be looking into all options as some clarity emerges.

Apr 3, 2019
JET airways has ceased operations today as banks refused to lend more money.
Thanks very much Christina H. Been keeping on top of the developments and did read about this as well as the ongoing attempts to find a resolution. Things are really, really bad but I'm still not sure the current end to operations is final. I could be totally wrong but I'm willing to let this play out a little further.

Sep 19, 2015
ShivB it is a terrible situation. They have so few planes now as all others have been seized by finance companies.

I realize you may need to wait for a formal declaration of bankruptcy for the credit card. But at this point from a purely financial standpoint I do not see anyone stepping in— it is more likely that the company will be put into receivership and either restructured or liquidated and assets cherry picked.

Jet abandoned landing slot at Heathrow but I do not know if they formally did the same for Amsterdam.

What I do think is that no company wants to assume the 1 billion of debt that Jet has. The Bank of India chose not to loan the $58 million requested — which would not have lasted long considering the debt —

There is so much uncertainty as to whether anyone is interested in investing — even the founder who first said he would decided not to —

Yes the airline is trying to find investors by May 10 — but who knows if there will be anything to invest in except debt.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Thanks very much Christina H. Been keeping on top of the developments and did read about this as well as the ongoing attempts to find a resolution. Things are really, really bad but I'm still not sure the current end to operations is final. I could be totally wrong but I'm willing to let this play out a little further.
You can absolutely be "sure the current end to operations is final." No lender is going to flush their investments down the drain and bailout JetAirways.
If you wish to travel you need to make alternate arrangements ASAP. If you delay in working on a refund you will be left without tickets and without a refund.

Apr 3, 2019
Latest update making it official - just received an email from Jet Airways informing us that our flight is cancelled and advising us " Your Jet Airways flight mentioned below has been cancelled. We regret the inconvenience caused and apologise for the same. You are eligible for applicable partial refund for the unutilised part of your itinerary. To apply, please click the link" . The wording used is very ambiguous and appears to suggest only a partial refund will be available. But judging from the total lack of any funds including unpaid salaries for many months, one wonders how this will actually unfold.