Hi everyone, some concerns in advance of our summer travel dates on Jet Airways:
- In January we purchased two roundtrip tickets USA to India via Amsterdam on Jet Airways and ticketed directly on jetairways.com for travel during July 2019.
- KLM codeshares and operates the US-Amsterdam and Amsterdam-US sectors and Jet Airways operates the Amsterdam-India and India-Amsterdam sectors.
- In early March it was reported that Jet Airways was in a huge financial crisis. We contacted the airline and were assured some financial resolutions were in the pipeline and the airline would be completely back on track by end March. However daily news reports contradict these assurances with massive grounding of airplanes and only a fraction of the fleet currently operational. Reports indicate lenders are attempting a bailout, but it is unclear whether the airline will survive this crisis or not.
- Since purchasing our tickets in January, fares to India during our travel dates have almost doubled, so canceling our tickets and re-purchasing on another airline is not a viable option. Even if we do cancel, there’s no guarantee a refund will be forthcoming under the airline's current financial constraints. We are now forced to hold onto our tickets and hope the situation will be resolved.
- Having used a Visa credit card for purchase we sent out a general enquiry to Visa via our issuing bank. Their response: they “do not see any travel protection that might cover this scenario” of supplier bankruptcy. Also since the tickets were booked almost four months ago and already well outside the 60 day period to submit a chargeback claim, Visa responded it is “unclear on how timeframe would impact eligibility for chargeback. It would be best to submit the dispute and let our team of experts review it to determine whether it was eligible to be charged back.”
- If the airline does go under before or during our travel what would be the status of the codeshare sectors flown on KLM? Is there any chance these sectors could be used?
- If we do decide to cancel our tickets while the airline is still functional, will Visa honor a chargeback claim if the airline doesn’t pay – also noting that we are outside the 60 day dispute period?