Jet airways(India) stranded my family and me at Paris without providing an alternate flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 17, 2019
I booked a flight from Chennai to Raleigh Durham traveling on March 1 to travel with my family. The route was from Chennai to Charles De Gaulle airport , Paris and from Paris to Raleigh Durham with a layover of 3.5 hours in Paris. Jet airways delayed the flight at Chennai by 4 hours. Since I wouldn’t be able to catch the connecting flight, I was re-routed through Atlanta from Paris and thereon to Raleigh by Jet airways.

I was not given the itinerary of the trip at Chennai. All I was given, was the boarding pass for the Chennai to Paris leg. Was told a representative will take care of the boarding passes in the further legs at Paris. Traveled to Paris and found no representative of Jet, anywhere.

After asking around for 1 hour, realized that the flight to Atlanta was leaving at 2.55 pm , 15 mins from the time I got the information, but still did not have the boarding passes. Went to the gate of the Atlanta after clearing security again in 25 mins, but the flight had already left. (In CDG you will have to clear security to go through terminals). I was left high and dry with no Jet airways official in the airport. Had to contact airport staff to learn that Jet airways representatives will come to the airport only at 8 am the next day. Was given a local number to contact Jet airways, but by the time I contacted them I got an automated message that they were closed for the day.

Contacted Jet airways customer care in India using my roaming US mobile and incurred a huge bill for that. I was told that since I failed to show up on time(due to no fault of mine), I will have to pay no show charges and re-book ticket at a unbelievably high price of around $4,000 a seat. Argued with the representative, he refused to budge. Since I had incurred a huge roaming bill already on the call, cut the call, booked an alternative flight myself(cost one fifth of the enormous quote Jet airways gave me). Spent the night sleeping with my family in the Paris airport terminal(hotel in terminal was full) and took the self-booked flight on Mar 2 and came to Raleigh.

Since my luggage was still with Jet airways, contacted them as soon as I arrived Raleigh. After giving a lot of contact numbers, some of which were not in service, managed to contact the baggage department of Jet airways via email. After getting stonewalled from Jet airways for around 72 hours, based on my wife’s suggestion contacted Air France for the baggage. Got the baggage delivered at the Raliegh Durham airport on Mar 7 without any help from Jet airways.
On Mar 8 , 5 days after my first mail for baggage to jet airways and 24 hours after I got the baggage, I get a reply from Jet airways that as per IATA rules, I should contact the carrier in the last leg of the flight which in this case was Delta(stale news which was of no use).

As soon as I arrived in Raleigh on Mar 2, sent an email to Jet airways on the humiliation I suffered along with my family for no fault of mine. On Mar 14, I get a reply saying that since I failed to contact the transfer desk of Jet airways at Paris(there was no one at the desk), so they cannot reimburse me for the expense I incurred in booking my own flight for me and my family from Paris. I have sent an email to the Appellate authority for grievances at Jet airways on Mar 14, but 4 days after I have sent the email, I have got no reply.

I have started contacting the email ids of Jet airways officials given in the Jet airways page of Elliot.org, however would appreciate if there can be anything else done to ensure that I get the required compensation for the suffering me and my family underwent at Paris due to the negligence of Jet airways.

Thanks

Venkat

Sep 19, 2015
What a mess and how unpleasant.

CDG is a pain to transfer terminals.

But CDG has free wifi — good for calling and for looking up info.

Where there no ground personnel anywhere in the terminal to ask instead of roaming for 60 minutes?

Did they not tell you what airline you were booked on?

How long was it between flights?

How was the ticket booked?

Jan 6, 2015
Timeline I get from your post . . .
  • Chennai-Paris-Raleigh Durham with 3.5 hour layover on March 1
  • Delay of 4 hours a Chennai so . . .
  • Chennai-Paris-Atlanta-Raleigh Durham
  • Given only Chennai-Paris ticket
  • Informed Jet Airways rep would provide ticket at Paris
  • 1.25 hour (?) layover, no rep in Paris, missed booked flight to USA
  • Local number for Jet Airways indicated closed for the day
  • Called customer care in India using my roaming US mobile and incurred a large bill
  • Told I had to pay no show charges and re-book ticket at around $4,000 per seat
  • Booked an alternative flight myself @ approx $800 (Air France and Delta)
  • Slept with family in the airport terminal (hotel in terminal was full)
  • At Raleigh, contacted Jet Airways for luggage - no success for 3 days
  • Also emailed Jet Airways about my experience thus far
  • Contacted Air France about luggage - delivered 2 days later
  • Next day, reply from Jet airways that I should contact the carrier for the last leg (Delta)
  • March 14: email from Jet saying since I failed to contact the transfer desk of Jet airways at Paris they cannot reimburse me for the alternate flight
Items in color represent "points of failure" by Jet Airways

If you would post your email here we could review and comment . . .

Mar 17, 2019
How and where did you book this trip? Did you book directly with the airline or through an online travel agency?

Did you have separate tickets or were these all on one PNR?
Hi Neil,

I had booked the tickets via the Citibank cards travel portal. The entire trip from Chennai(India) to Raleigh Durham was in one PNR.

Thanks

Venkat

Mar 17, 2019
What a mess and how unpleasant.

CDG is a pain to transfer terminals.

But CDG has free wifi — good for calling and for looking up info.

Where there no ground personnel anywhere in the terminal to ask instead of roaming for 60 minutes?

Did they not tell you what airline you were booked on?

How long was it between flights?

How was the ticket booked?
Hi Christina,

I had tried to contact the help desk personnel at terminal 2C, however was told that boarding passes could be issued only by Jet airways personnel, who were not to be found at the desk at Terminal 2C. I found this to be logical. Also one of the representative from another airline ,who was sitting beside the Jet airways desk told me that the boarding passes would be issued at the gate. I had to believe her and went terminal 2E (K series) gates based on what I could see on the flight schedules displayed at terminal 2C for the next flight to Atlanta and what was confirmed by her. There after talking to the representative at terminal 2E came to know that the flight I was booked on was not taking off from terminal 2E (K series gates), but terminal 2E(L series) gates. I tried making a dash to the gate , but could not catch the flight.

Thanks

Venkat

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
If you are still in the US you should check your return flight status ASAP as they may have canceled your return flights since you were marked as a "no show" on the original itinerary. I would worry about this eventuality before you spend time on the other issues. Since you flew to the US on another airline, Jet Airways has no knowledge of this and will assume you will not be on the return flights and will cancel them.

For future travel, you also need to set up better international roaming (like the Day Pass on ATT for $10/day, unlimited use). Otherwise, you are stuck with the $2-3/min charges.

Sep 18, 2018
Note that Citi's travel rewards program is run by Connexions Loyalty, Inc. and has separate customer service. If you contact Citi's general customer service, you might get bounced around a bit. To contact the travel desk directly, call 1-800-842-6596 (1-800-THANKYOU), or use the live chat tab on the right side of the screen at ThankYou.com. Both are available 8 a.m.-midnight Eastern (1 a.m. for calls) Monday-Friday and 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. There are contact options through the Citi app, as well.

Your best bet would be to use the chat feature so you can get a screen capture or transcript to prove what you are told.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
venka, I am so sorry to read your awful story. My colleagues have given you much information and advice. I would like to ask that you make a "bullet list" as VoR's example to state your story, adding the relevant details such as dates, flight numbers, etc. All travel problems are solved by an understanding of the details. No understanding equals no solution. The fact that you were flying on award tix is a very important detail, for example. You should be working with them to straighten this out.

Your story is just too complicated for a narrative ... by the time I get done with a paragraph, I can't remember exactly what the previous paragraph said. And I'm INTERESTED ... an airline complaint department reads stories like yours all day long. It's vital that you explain your problem as concisely as possible. Your job is to get the person reading your letter to want to help you. I too am concerned about your return flight to India. I hope you have confirmed it.

Mar 17, 2019
venka, I am so sorry to read your awful story. My colleagues have given you much information and advice. I would like to ask that you make a "bullet list" as VoR's example to state your story, adding the relevant details such as dates, flight numbers, etc. All travel problems are solved by an understanding of the details. No understanding equals no solution. The fact that you were flying on award tix is a very important detail, for example. You should be working with them to straighten this out.

Your story is just too complicated for a narrative ... by the time I get done with a paragraph, I can't remember exactly what the previous paragraph said. And I'm INTERESTED ... an airline complaint department reads stories like yours all day long. It's vital that you explain your problem as concisely as possible. Your job is to get the person reading your letter to want to help you. I too am concerned about your return flight to India. I hope you have confirmed it.
Hi jsn55,

I am here on a long term work visa. So I booked a one way ticket to the US. So no return ticket as part of this PNR.

Thanks

Venkat

Mar 17, 2019
If you are still in the US you should check your return flight status ASAP as they may have canceled your return flights since you were marked as a "no show" on the original itinerary. I would worry about this eventuality before you spend time on the other issues. Since you flew to the US on another airline, Jet Airways has no knowledge of this and will assume you will not be on the return flights and will cancel them.

For future travel, you also need to set up better international roaming (like the Day Pass on ATT for $10/day, unlimited use). Otherwise, you are stuck with the $2-3/min charges.
Hi weihlac,

Thankfully I booked a one way ticket, so don't have a return leg in this PNR. Understand about roaming, makes sense to be prepared for the worst. Will make sure to put in the AT&T Day pass in future for international travel.

Thanks

Venkat

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hi weihlac,

Thankfully I booked a one way ticket, so don't have a return leg in this PNR. Understand about roaming, makes sense to be prepared for the worst. Will make sure to put in the AT&T Day pass in future for international travel.

Thanks

Venkat
The ATT Day Pass can be added online to all of your lines and it is active only when you use it. Very useful for emergency access while traveling.

Mar 17, 2019
As Requested by Vor and JSN, I am copy pasting the email Id sent to nodalofficer@jetairways.com

Dear Madam,

Please find below my story with Jetairways on Mar 1.

I booked a flight from Chennai to Raleigh Durham traveling on March 1 to travel with my family. The route was from Chennai to Charles De Gaulle airport , Paris and from Paris to Raleigh Durham with a layover of 3.5 hours in Paris. Jet airways delayed the flight at Chennai by 4 hours. Since I could not catch the connecting flight, I was re-routed through Atlanta from Paris and thereon to Raleigh.

I was not given the itinerary of the trip at Chennai. All I was given was the boarding pass for the Chennai to Paris leg. Was told a representative will take care of the boarding passes in the further legs. Traveled to Paris and found no representative of Jet anywhere at CDG. I was running from pillar to post at terminal 2C to get the boarding passes. After some running around I was directed to terminal 2E by a representative of Air France. At 2E, I approached the Atlanta flight of Air France(code share of jet airways) at gate K51 scheduled to leave at 15:40. At the gate there was no one. I went to the enquiry desk at gate 39A to ask for boarding passess. I was then told that the flight I was supposed to be on which AF 688 had already left from Gate L at terminal 2E. The enquiry team contacted jet airways immediately to let them know about the stranded passengers. Unfortunately there was no reply from Jetairways team even though they said they will book an alternate flight. Waited for around 1.5 hours at Terminal 2E Gate 39A. After that the enquiry team at gate 39A tried contacting Jet airways again, but the call was not taken by Jetairways. The enquiry team at Gate 39A asked me to get back to terminal 2C to see if there were any of the jetairways team around. After clearing security again for the second time at CDG, I went to terminal 2C only to be told that the Jet airways team would be reporting at the desk at 8 am the next day. I was provided email ids of a Jet airways representative at India and a customer care number of Jet airways at France which had closed for the day then. I mailed the representative at India from my mobile in fervent hope that I will get some support. However I have not received a reply from your representative till this day.

Contacted Jet airways customer care in India using my roaming US mobile and incurred a huge bill for that. I was told that since I failed to show up on time(due to no fault of mine), I will have to pay no show charges and re-book ticket at a horribly high price of around $4,000 a seat. Argued with the representative, he refused to budge. Since I had incurred a huge roaming bill already on the call, cut the call, booked an alternative flight myself(cost one fifth of the enormous quote Jet airways gave me).

Spent the night sleeping with my family on the Paris terminal and took the self-booked flight on Mar 2 and came to Raleigh.

Since my luggage is still with Jet airways, contacted them at Raleigh. After contacting them multiple times and getting a lot of contact numbers, some of which were not in service, managed to contact the baggage department of Jet airways by email. 12 hours after contacting Jet airways, still no reply.

I hope you take attention to the facts above and compensate my family adequately for the costs incurred and the mental hassles underwent due to the negligence of Jet airways in putting me in another flight on Mar 1.

Thanks

Venkat

Mar 17, 2019

Hi JSN,

Please find below the set of points with some modifications done on VOR's set of points.

• Chennai-Paris-Raleigh Durham with 3.5 hour layover on March 1.
  • Supposed to start by 1.45 at Chennai, India, but flight started at 5.30 am. So rerouted as follows
  • Informed Jet Airways rep would provide boarding pass at Paris
  • 1.25 hour layover, no rep in Paris, missed booked flight to Atlanta.
  • Misdirected by local airport representative to a different flight to Atlanta, since no Jet airways rep was present.
  • Contacted airport representative. They contacted Jet airways. No response after 1.5 hours
  • Called customer care in India using roaming US mobile and incurred a large bill
  • Told to pay no show charges and re-book ticket at around $4,000 per seat
  • Booked an alternative flight myself @ approx $800 (Flybee and Thomas Cook airlines)
  • Next day, reply from Jet airways that I should contact the carrier for the last leg (Delta)
  • March 14: email from Jet saying since failed to contact the transfer desk of Jet airways at Paris cannot be reimbursed for the alternate flight
Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks

Venkat

Mar 17, 2019
Have you contacted Citibank cards portal travel desk?
I contacted Citi Thank you team last evening. I was told the below

• Citi does not have insurance for missed flights.
  • The closest this situation could come to is Trip Interruption
  • Even for trip interruption, the situation I described does not come under the covered circumstances
  • So I am not eligible any compensation from Citi
Thanks

Venkat

Jan 6, 2015
Hi JSN,

Please find below the set of points with some modifications done on VOR's set of points.

• Chennai-Paris-Raleigh Durham with 3.5 hour layover on March 1.
  • Supposed to start by 1.45 at Chennai, India, but flight started at 5.30 am. So rerouted as follows
  • 1.25 hour layover, no rep in Paris, missed booked flight to Atlanta.
  • Misdirected by local airport representative to a different flight to Atlanta, since no Jet airways rep was present.
  • Contacted airport representative. They contacted Jet airways. No response after 1.5 hours
  • Called customer care in India using roaming US mobile and incurred a large bill
  • Told to pay no show charges and re-book ticket at around $4,000 per seat
  • Booked an alternative flight myself @ approx $800 (Flybee and Thomas Cook airlines)
  • March 14: email from Jet saying since failed to contact the transfer desk of Jet airways at Paris cannot be reimbursed for the alternate flight
Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks

Venkat
This is preferable to your proposed email above. It is more straightforward and easier to read. I suggest you send this . . .

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
  • Venka, I used to make loans to businesses and was taught how to explain a situation to an underwriter who never saw the client or knew very much about the situation. The underwriter knew only what I was able to describe to him. He relied only on my written description to decide whether to turn the loan down flat or get on a plane and come up to audit the client.

• My boss taught me "See the rat, see the cat" which means boil it all down to the very basic information. Never forget that the reader has no idea what happened except what you tell him. I have indicated my words in all capital letters, not because I'm yelling at you, but so you can see a sample of what I'm talking about.

• Chennai-Paris-Raleigh Durham with 3.5 hour layover on March 1. NUMBER OF TIX, RECORD LOCATOR NUMBERS, PASSENGER NAMES BOOKED ON AIRLINE FLIGHT NUMBER 1MARCH CHANNAI-PARIS-RALEIGH DURHAM.
  • Supposed to start by 1.45 at Chennai, India, but flight started at 5.30 am. So rerouted as follows FLIGHT # DELAYED 4.5 HOURS AT CHENNAI. RE-ROUTED CHANNAI-PARIS-ATLANTA-RALEIGH DURAM, AIRLINE, FLIGHT NUMBERS.
  • Given only Chennai-Paris ticket BOARDING PASSES ISSUED ONLY FOR CHANNAI-PARIS, FLIGHT # . INSTRUCTED TO PICK UP CONTINUING BOARDING PASSES FROM JET AIRWAYS IN PARIS.

AND SO ON ... PAINT A PICTURE OF YOUR SITUATION WITH WORDS. The easier it is for someone to understand exactly what happened, the faster you'll get a resolution. Solving travel issues is an incredibly complex puzzle, with a million details. Nobody will help with the puzzle until they understand it. Your job is to present all the details and make it as easy as possible for them to understand.

Mar 17, 2019
  • Venka, I used to make loans to businesses and was taught how to explain a situation to an underwriter who never saw the client or knew very much about the situation. The underwriter knew only what I was able to describe to him. He relied only on my written description to decide whether to turn the loan down flat or get on a plane and come up to audit the client.

• My boss taught me "See the rat, see the cat" which means boil it all down to the very basic information. Never forget that the reader has no idea what happened except what you tell him. I have indicated my words in all capital letters, not because I'm yelling at you, but so you can see a sample of what I'm talking about.

• Chennai-Paris-Raleigh Durham with 3.5 hour layover on March 1. NUMBER OF TIX, RECORD LOCATOR NUMBERS, PASSENGER NAMES BOOKED ON AIRLINE FLIGHT NUMBER 1MARCH CHANNAI-PARIS-RALEIGH DURHAM.
  • Supposed to start by 1.45 at Chennai, India, but flight started at 5.30 am. So rerouted as follows FLIGHT # DELAYED 4.5 HOURS AT CHENNAI. RE-ROUTED CHANNAI-PARIS-ATLANTA-RALEIGH DURAM, AIRLINE, FLIGHT NUMBERS.
  • Given only Chennai-Paris ticket BOARDING PASSES ISSUED ONLY FOR CHANNAI-PARIS, FLIGHT # . INSTRUCTED TO PICK UP CONTINUING BOARDING PASSES FROM JET AIRWAYS IN PARIS.

AND SO ON ... PAINT A PICTURE OF YOUR SITUATION WITH WORDS. The easier it is for someone to understand exactly what happened, the faster you'll get a resolution. Solving travel issues is an incredibly complex puzzle, with a million details. Nobody will help with the puzzle until they understand it. Your job is to present all the details and make it as easy as possible for them to understand.
Thanks for all your replies. I have already contacted Jet Airways, but don't see the required action in the replies coming back from them. Was wondering if there are any other options possible other than sending an email to the team and waiting for 3-4 days for the reply.