JCPenney denies me access to their website because I am in Israel

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 18, 2017
I have been a JCP customer for many years, my last order being in July. Two weeks ago, I began another order, but when I returned to my "cart," I got a message: ACCESS DENIED. I called the regular customer service number, but got no satisfaction. I asked to speak to someone in the Executive Offices, and was told, "Someone will get back to you." What I did find out was that because my laptop is in Israel, I cannot access the website. This seems to me to be discrimination. I have their credit card, a US bank account, am a US citizen with a US mailing address-all to no avail. Ironically, I get a new email almost every day inviting me to shop. When I try to shop: ACCESS DENIED. What's going on JCP?

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
You're barking up the wrong tree. It isn't JCP denying you access, its Israel. I couldn't see the Target website when I was stationed in South Korea. It's frustrating but there is nothing you can do about it. One way around it is to use a VPN and select a server in the USA.

R

Realitoes

It can be Israel blocking the website, or it can be JCP blocking Israeli IPs, either because they do not have a business relationship in that country or they have had high number of malicious incidents coming from there.

In either case, if JCP doesn't do business in Israel, you have no expectation to be able to access their website from there.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
There may be something you could do by and by ... but I'd just find someone in the states to place your orders. Since everything else is in the US, that would be the simplest solution. And remember, JCP is in deep financial trouble, so I wouldn't expect much from them. It's a shame, I love their stores.

Feb 18, 2017
Still in contact with corporate offices. They ship to Israel, but representative still cannot tell me why I'm denied access. I'm working on it because their white shirts are wash and wear and the men love them.

Feb 18, 2017
People, you're missing the point. I've been their customer for many years and even placed an order a few weeks ago - all this via NY. They need to explain why my computer in Israel is being denied access.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Rozanne Polansky ... The issue is that they don't want to sell to people in Israel. They don't have to explain it. It could be an Israeli law they can't or won't comply with. It could be a political decision. Ultimately, it really doesn't matter.

I'd look for another online store to shop in

Jul 27, 2016
People, you're missing the point. I've been their customer for many years and even placed an order a few weeks ago - all this via NY. They need to explain why my computer in Israel is being denied access.
JC Penney does ship internationally, but it appears that they use a third party to handle it. The issue might be that you're trying to use a US JC Penney account, rather than going through that third party (Borderfree) to get products priced in shekels and then shipped to Israel.

http://www.jcpenney.com/jsp/customerservice/serviceContent.jsp?pageId=pg4006000010&lang=en

If you were in the US, you could have items shipped to a third party in Israel by using the US site. My guess is that, since their site sees that your computer is in Israel, you need to use the Borderfree third party.

Or use a VPN, as I suggested, so that your computer appears to be in the US.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Having been in the military stationed at various places overseas, I had the same issue. Some companies are not legally allowed to conduct business in some countries.

I had an APO box, so I could order, but the natives could not, therefore, the company would geographically blog those countries. I had to use a proxy or VPN to get to those sites.

Feb 18, 2017
At this point, I am enjoying sending the executives updates on all their "wonderful" customer service reps and even the Corporate Relations reps who promise to get back to me and don't. Irony is, I get emails from them every day to shop and......can't. Their substantial loss

Jul 27, 2016
At this point, I am enjoying sending the executives updates on all their "wonderful" customer service reps and even the Corporate Relations reps who promise to get back to me and don't. Irony is, I get emails from them every day to shop and......can't. Their substantial loss
Have you tried using a VPN? Takes five minutes to set up, and would solve your problem.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
It's not that they won't help you, but rather that they can't. If Isreal blocks the site, Isreal blocks the site.

As both Just a Guy and I have noted, use a VPN. A VPN isn't a bad idea for someone in Isreal, or the USA, for that matter.

Feb 18, 2017
The point is: Two weeks after I placed a large order and paid for it, I was blocked. Israel doesn't deny access or I wouldn't be able to buy from Rockport or Kohl's or, until a few weeks ago, JCP. I am waiting for an explanation.

Nov 14, 2016
The point is: Two weeks after I placed a large order and paid for it, I was blocked. Israel doesn't deny access or I wouldn't be able to buy from Rockport or Kohl's or, until a few weeks ago, JCP. I am waiting for an explanation.
The issue could have been with JC Penny attempting to reduce fraudulent purchases from certain countries. It could have been with the service provider restricting outbound traffic. It could be with a faulty HOSTS file or that the DNS needs to be flushed. It could be a browser problem. It could be 50 other problems.

Even if it were the first reason - an intentional decision not to business in a particular country - that's entirely their prerogative. JC Penny doesn't have to sell in Israel, Oman or the Moon if they choose not to do so. It's not discrimination. It's a legal business decision and they don't owe anyone an explanation for their actions.

Feb 18, 2017
All I am asking is for someone to offer an explanation - None has been forthcoming. Again, I am paying with their credit card and merchandise is being shipped to NY, not Israel.