I've dived into the abyss that is Spirit's $9 fare club. How do I get out?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 18, 2018
Last year when taking a trip with the whole family, I signed up for Spirit's $9 fare club for $59.95, since we would be spending that much on bags anyway. Fast forward to now when I see my credit card has been charged, not $59.95, but $69.95 on Jan. 5!! I see now that their modus operandi is auto renewal. I would not have signed up at all, had I known this. After googling this situation, I find that they are extremely reluctant to offer refunds. What are the best steps to take at this point?

Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
For future reference for EVERYONE else who reads this - all of these clubs and plans and special discount programs and special one of kind deals - are ALWAYS renewable clubs designed to generate pure profit revenue through mindless renewals.

Like gym memberships - some of which have a ten day window within which you must send a written cancellation that must be postmarked and received during the 10 day window.

Heck - my wife actually set up auto renew on her Sirius XM and in 3 years they managed to decide she needed the $279 a year plan. Up from $75 the first year. I called them - and cancelled. They ultimately offered me the exact same plan [$279] for $99 for a year. Just by me telling them - cancel my service - the only words I used after hte initial identification process.

Finally I was forced to say - you have 15 seconds to tell me you have canceled my auto renew, canceled the service, prorated the refund or I will hang up and simply dispute the charge. If you fail to do so - I will charge your company $500 for my time wasted past the 15 seconds. By refusing to simply cooperate you will agree to this charge.

I needed to get them to repeat the words - on the recording - using words of one syllable - otherwise given how they operate they'd find some loophole. Sirius is notorious for trying to delay people until they finally just give up

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
For future reference for EVERYONE else who reads this - all of these clubs and plans and special discount programs and special one of kind deals - are ALWAYS renewable clubs designed to generate pure profit revenue through mindless renewals.

Like gym memberships - some of which have a ten day window within which you must send a written cancellation that must be postmarked and received during the 10 day window.

Heck - my wife actually set up auto renew on her Sirius XM and in 3 years they managed to decide she needed the $279 a year plan. Up from $75 the first year. I called them - and cancelled. They ultimately offered me the exact same plan [$279] for $99 for a year. Just by me telling them - cancel my service - the only words I used after hte initial identification process.

Finally I was forced to say - you have 15 seconds to tell me you have canceled my auto renew, canceled the service, prorated the refund or I will hang up and simply dispute the charge. If you fail to do so - I will charge your company $500 for my time wasted past the 15 seconds. By refusing to simply cooperate you will agree to this charge.

I needed to get them to repeat the words - on the recording - using words of one syllable - otherwise given how they operate they'd find some loophole. Sirius is notorious for trying to delay people until they finally just give up
GREAT example of this wonderful 'auto renew' scheme and what to do about it.

I remember telling someone once (rental car I think) that they had a choice ... they could either adjust my bill to reflect reality, or I'd just dispute the entire charge and let 'em duke it out with American Express. It was an easy decision for them.

Jan 18, 2018
If I even knew it was an auto-renewal deal, it would've already been canceled. Silly me.
Anyway, so far I've just received an automated response. If they refuse to refund the amount, I will dispute it. Discover card has been pretty good with their customer service in the many years I've had them.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I used to 'get caught' on those auto renewal plans, but I've learned to read all the fine print thoroughly before using a CC for the annual payment. I recall several entities lately who ask if you want to put your order on auto-renew. The practice of hiding the auto-renew approval is a great example of the sleaziness of American business today.

Jan 18, 2018
Wow, I am shocked! I have already received a response, and the Spirit rep agreed to refund my credit card for the $69.95! After all the bad info I read on the internet, I was prepared for a fight, or at least to dispute it with my credit card. Not sure if it's because I worded it in super friendly terms about how great our vacation was, or if I just got lucky and got a good customer service rep.
Anyway, thanks for everyone's help!! This is a great forum.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
I love my Sirius so much that I would actually pay their high "renewal" rate, but since I don't have to, I don't. I just call and say, Oh, I'm so sorry, I really can't afford that increase. They immediately transfer me to a supervisor who miraculously finds me a "special promotion" that keeps my rate the paltry $80 or whatever it is. I think their business plan is, A Cheap Customer is Better than No Customer.