Issue with Target Mastercard. Do I write Target or TD Bank?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 13, 2018
I know the Target card is issued by TD Bank. I had changed the bank that I wanted payments to come out of. I must have made a mistake on the new account because the payment was rejected and I was charged a fee. I asked Customer Service for the card to waive the fee and the request was denied. I am not sure who to escalate this to.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
How do you pay it? Online? You should be able to access the card online and make the change that way.

Did you ask Customer Service how to change it? You should be able to set up an online account for the card and put in the information for your new bank there.

Feb 21, 2018
Target (the store) does not have the ability to waive the fee.

I worked retail for many years and the store I worked for issued credit cards, but the issuing bank was Capital One. The store doesn't manage anything at all about the account - only the opening. We couldn't even access customer account information at the store, for their protection.

Only Target's name goes on the card - the accounts are managed by the bank (in this case, TD Bank) Target only earns the swipe fees every time the card is used while TD Bank gets to keep the interest on open balances.

You need to call the Customer Service number on your statement, which will connect you with the agents at Capital One who are servicing the Target account. They are the ones who have the ability to review and made adjustments to the fees.

Jun 13, 2018
How do you pay it? Online? You should be able to access the card online and make the change that way.

Did you ask Customer Service how to change it? You should be able to set up an online account for the card and put in the information for your new bank there.
I paid it online then two weeks later I received an email that the payment was rejected. I then went to my bank's website and sent a payment through them to the card. At that point I already was charged the fee for the returned payment. I reached out via the web form asking them to refund the fee and they declined my request which is why I want to escalate this.

Jun 13, 2018
Were you charged a fee for a returned payment or a late fee for payment not received on time? The bank is the one to assess fees and be able to waive them.
I was charged a fee for the returned payment. I was not charged a late fee because I re-did the payment before the due date.

Jun 13, 2018
Target (the store) does not have the ability to waive the fee.

I worked retail for many years and the store I worked for issued credit cards, but the issuing bank was Capital One. The store doesn't manage anything at all about the account - only the opening. We couldn't even access customer account information at the store, for their protection.

Only Target's name goes on the card - the accounts are managed by the bank (in this case, TD Bank) Target only earns the swipe fees every time the card is used while TD Bank gets to keep the interest on open balances.

You need to call the Customer Service number on your statement, which will connect you with the agents at Capital One who are servicing the Target account. They are the ones who have the ability to review and made adjustments to the fees.
The phone agent would not reverse it because the online customer service already said no. So I need to contact higher ups at TD Bank then.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If this is the first time this has ever happened call back and ask for a supervisor. Explain this is the first time it’s ever happened, explain you changed banks and mistakenly sent the payment from the wrong account and corrected it right away and ask if they could make a one time exception and waive the fee.

We don’t have company contacts for TD Bank I could find so also complete this form - if the call to a supervisor doesn’t work we may have executive contacts quickly you can use:

https://www.elliott.org/research/

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Neil is right on, Manny. I've never had a problem when I've made an error like this with a bank ... the first time. If you do it again, too bad! Just tell them what happened, admit it's your mistake (everyone else blames the bank, so you'll stand out) and ask them to reverse it all. I deal mostly with Chase, but I'm sure all CC-issuing banks want to please their customers. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.

Jun 13, 2018
I spoke to two people at Target Card Services. They both said because I made the error with the account number they will not refund the fee. I did ask for a courtesy adjustment and it was declined. I am not willing to accept no at this time.