Is this tour legitimate?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
I browsed National Geographic's tour website. India tours price out at around $1000 per day (give or take)...several of their 13-day tours are in the $12000 range, which is what I'd expect for the higher-end tours NG provides.

Even if the tour you saw is an affiliate or advertiser, the price is too good to be true...and you know the saying about that! Please provide a link or more detail on what you're looking at.

$1799....did you slip a decimal?? :D

B

bodega3

There are many companies that offer tours of India, but she asked about one found in the National Geographic magazine. We can't second guess and need to see what she saw.

R

Realitoes

There are many companies that offer tours of India, but she asked about one found in the National Geographic magazine. We can't second guess and need to see what she saw.
True, but unfortunately I don't have a subscription to that magazine. ;)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
She will have to post a link to it. We can't second guess where she is seeing it. If it is an ad in the magazine it could be one of 100 different companies.
Is it a Gate 1 trip? Their trips are very inexpensive because they use lower quality hotels that are in out of the way places.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
@Suzanne O'Connor - I looked at worldspree.com and did not see any India tours. There are 12 day (10 night) Vietnam tours that start at $1799/person/double occupancy, including transPacific air from San Francisco. Additional charges (Vietnam Visa, some meals, airfare to San Francisco in this case, travel insurance) are not included. This $1799 price was for certain departure dates only. There is a $1000 non-refundable deposit required.

I then checked National Geographic Expeditions and found a 12-night India tour ... for ~$12,000 per person.

Please provide the url mentioned in the ad you saw. Without it, we're comparing apples to oranges.

I would advise, though, that you read every word of the fine print to see what's included and what's not. That extremely low price would make me very cautious.

Aug 28, 2015
Suzanne: I am personally not familiar with this tour company so please take what I say carefully. I am neither telling you to stay away, nor endorsing the company. A tour company, when legitimate, still needs to be a match to the needs of the traveler. I suggest that you google everything you can find about this company.....I did.....and do your research. You may want to ask them for references from past travelers. It does appear as though this is a real and legit company who does not work with Travel Agents - but I am not willing to endorse any company publicly on this consumer site. Also, if you pass that hurdle, make sure that what they offer is what you are seeking. I am a luxury individualized traveler, for example, so their offering would not make me happy; but it might make you happy. Have fun researching. I also would suggest that you contact one reputable Travel Agent who specializes in India, and discuss your wants, and see what they offer as an alternative so you have a comparison. I also suspect that an Agent who specializes in India will be more familiar with this company and can give you information about them. Enjoy your travels!

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
Suzanne: I am personally not familiar with this tour company so please take what I say carefully. I am neither telling you to stay away, nor endorsing the company. A tour company, when legitimate, still needs to be a match to the needs of the traveler. I suggest that you google everything you can find about this company.....I did.....and do your research. You may want to ask them for references from past travelers. It does appear as though this is a real and legit company who does not work with Travel Agents - but I am not willing to endorse any company publicly on this consumer site. Also, if you pass that hurdle, make sure that what they offer is what you are seeking. I am a luxury individualized traveler, for example, so their offering would not make me happy; but it might make you happy. Have fun researching. I also would suggest that you contact one reputable Travel Agent who specializes in India, and discuss your wants, and see what they offer as an alternative so you have a comparison. I also suspect that an Agent who specializes in India will be more familiar with this company and can give you information about them. Enjoy your travels!
Very nicely said, Laurie. Thanks.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I've checked out some of their reviews and they seem ok. Just realize what to expect traveling to India- it's not a place for everyone. We had a client who recently returned from a trip to India that he went because his girlfriend wanted to go. She enjoyed, he hated it. (And they broke up right after they returned). So make sure you understand what any trip entails.

Check the companies ratings online, go to TripAdvisor and do a search to make sure they are legit and ALWAYS use a credit card (NOT a debit card) to pay for your trip and but travel insurance. Then you have covered all your bases.

Oct 27, 2015
The site is worldspree.com 866.652.5656 (tel.no.?) Trip Advisor didn't seem to have anything on them. I'll keep trying to research them because the trip sounds fantastic to me.

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
@Suzanne O'Connor ....Google is your friend :) I found all sorts of reviews on Worldspree and it sounds like @LaurieB did too. Individual reviews run the range of excellent to terrible, and there are the usual reviews that are obviously fake. As the price suggests, they do seem to use 2nd-tier airlines, hotels, etc. and only you can decide the "value".

Oct 27, 2015
Sorry everyone, I went to their physical requirements section and ,sadly, figured I wouldn't be able to do everything, and so I'm giving up this idea. Thanks for all the input.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sorry everyone, I went to their physical requirements section and ,sadly, figured I wouldn't be able to do everything, and so I'm giving up this idea. Thanks for all the input.
Don't be sorry, you did the right thing! Better to look at all of that now before buying the tour and then getting there and finding you can't physically do it. And then contacting us for a refund.

When you see lower prices for tours, often the tour operators use no better than 3 star hotels that are out of town and away from many tourist areas so there is nothing close by for guests to go our and sightsee. You pretty much get what you pay for. Always try to find the hotels any suppliers is using so you know what to expect.

And use a credit card, not debit cards or checks. And google the company name to see complaints.