Is this just business as usual?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
NCL has always had this with The Haven. And for what passengers pay for booking in the Haven they should get these amenities.

This is their way of getting big spenders on NCL, a mid priced mainstream cruise line. They want to attract elite cruisers who would prefer to pay their prices vs. going on Oceania or Regent.

If people are willing to pay for the privilige why shouldn't they get the service? If I could afford The Haven I'd buy it too.

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
I've stayed in a Garden Villa (3 bedroom suite in the Haven) twice - the Star and the Pearl. Phenomenal. My parents paid for both trips and they're not overly wealthy but definitely upper middle class. Both the Star and the Pearl are Jewel class ships which are smaller than the Away class ships but regardless, the Haven experience is wonderful. It allows you to get away from the masses. And on one of the away class ships holding over 4000 pax, if you can spend the money, spend the money.

I wouldn't say the Haven is necessarily for people who would sail on Oceania or Regent though. Those are higher end lines and the demographics on those lines are distinctly different and not always and kid friendly.

There are other ways to get away from some of the people on NCL - spa pas, Vibe/Posh pass, Spice H20. It all depends on what's important to you. I just sailed on the Escape in a studio and got a Vibe pass and really appreciated being able to go find a lounger when I wanted to and have someone coming around bringing fresh drinks, etc.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I don't get what the fuss is about......if someone wants to a pay for a certain type of experience, they have that option. If they don't or can't there is still an option to take a cruise, flight, etc. How is one adversely impacting the other?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is the same "we're all equal" vs "I'm different" debate that's been going on in this country for years. If you've been in an airport, on a plane or on a cruise with people who don't know how to behave, you're very happy to pay a little more to avoid them. You begin to see why the tight 'class' system (think European royalty) has been around for so long. You may not like it, but in America it's your perogative to ignore it. Personally, I don't want to hang out with entitled phonies or trashy neanderthals, both groups are annoying.

I've learned to pick and chose when planning travel. On a big cruise ship, for instance, we order room service breakfast as we lollygag around getting ready for the day. Evenings, we generally dine at the buffet, quickly scoping out when's the best time and where's the best place to sit for the best service. We book balcony cabins, so we can enjoy the weather, the scenery, and the privacy. We don't stand in line for anything; there's always a good book to read with an espresso. We book a combination of normal shore excursions and private tours.

If my trip costs $350 more than yours and offers me the independence and privacy I want, I'm very happy to pay it. Doesn't mean I don't like you, just means that I don't want to have dinner with you every night! I've always been a big fan of being able to pay for what I want when travelling.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It just isn't really an issue.
Oh, I think it is an issue with many people. There are lots of people who think airplane seats and service should all be the same, that all guests should have the same perks as top-status hotel loyalty guests. They don't think I should drive an SUV - remember people keying them a few years ago? And they definitely think that all passengers on a cruise ship should have exactly the same cabins, food and service. The idea of a "ship within a ship" drives them bananas.

Most of us on this forum are sophisticated, bright, savvy and understand how life is. There are tons of folks who think they should have everything without the understanding or willingness to do what it takes to have it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Trust me, I see them every day. The ones that ask me to price match and then demand room perks and free upgrades, as if the hotel or resort is going to bow down to them and not the folks that paid full price for their room.

Reactions: jsn55