is there a way to get a refund??

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 5, 2016
I am a Canadian that purchased 3 airline tickets on Allegiant Air in September 2015 for travel on January 29, 2016. Since I purchased the tickets I have been made aware that Allegiant is currently under FAA investigation for failure to report safety issues. I have also been made aware of frequent engine fires, including 5 known emergency landings in December 2015 alone.
To say the least, despite being an avid traveller for over 30 years, for the first time I am absolutely terrified to fly.
Of course, Allegiant only sells non-refundable tickets. I have travel insurance, including cancellation insurance, but the insurance coverage does not apply to this type of situation. I know that because I am more than 7 days from the flight time that I could cancel the reservation and keep a "credit" that would be good for 1 year. However, my "too late" investigation of this airline is such that I am not confident about their safety practices. Their own pilots have posted an article online regarding their concern with the airline's safety practices:
https://www.apa1224.org/AllegiantAirPilotLetter.asp
The other two articles discuss the high profit but minimal safety approach the company has taken.
https://www.apa1224.org/public_newsresults.aspx?NewsID=6058
https://www.apa1224.org/public_newsresults.aspx?NewsID=5777
I do not consider myself to be a reactionary. However, I can't help but wonder when will it be that the next plane doesn't make an emergency landing and instead ends up fatally? I am fully aware that there are risks when flying but this company's approach to safety is rather terrifying. I also understand that the current CEO was also involved with Valujet that had a similar infrastructure until it's demise after a catastrophic incident.
http://www.skywriteraviation.aero/2...r-several-regulatory-investigations-says-faa/
In any event, if you have any suggestions at all of who I might be able to contact or what I might be able to do to get an actual refund? I would certainly appreciate any help/advice you might have.

Jan 6, 2015
Thank you for reaching out to us @Lzu

You seem to have a good grasp on the uphill climb you are facing and an understanding of the rules. But you can certainly ask for an exception with an explanation of what you have said here.

You can appeal to ·Allegiant· using our Company Contacts (in the order shown below).

Primary . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 week later
Secondary . . . . . . . . . . 2 weeks later
CEO . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 weeks later

Attach any documentation you have, and be sure to save all your correspondence

Limiting your content to the relevant highlights will make your appeal more easily understood. Emotional statements or threats of any kind may actually hurt your cause.

Please update us as you proceed with your appeal or if you have further questions

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2016
Please be aware that the answer is likely to be no. The time to do this research was before you booked your flight and travel insurance doesn't cover fear.

Use V's contacts and ask for an exception but don't be surprised if the answer is no.
Thanks for the response. I do understand that the time to research is prior to -- however, the 5 incidents in December happened long after I booked. The FAA's investigation also started after I booked.

@Lzu the letter from the APA states that the airline is 'just barely meeting acceptable safety standards.' Ok - so they are meeting safety standards. What is acceptable to you? Exceeding standards by 10% 50%? What is your experience with aircraft maintenance standards? Would it ease your mind to know that the union was negotiating with the company when it issued that statement?

I would say that Allegiant is satisfying safety standards. Are the standards too low? Is that your concern? I do believe from everything I have read and heard through the grapevine that Allegiant is cutting corners. Everyone is today.

Allegiant flies a lot of MD-80 aircraft. These airplanes - and their engines - are older. They will be subject to more maintenance issues. Just like an old car requires more and more maintenance and repair as it ages.

Moreover, Allegiant does not operate with spare aircraft - or on a hub and spoke system - so when an aircraft breaks down, it strands passengers until it is fixed. There are few if any available 'spare' air frames to pick up the slack. So - the impact is much greater to the afflicted passengers group.

You might like to know that no pilot can accept an aircraft they do not consider airworthy. Thus, since none of the pilots have refused to accept an airplane because of condition or maintenance, then they have all been airworthy. When the pilots start refusing trips because of aircraft condition and losing their jobs - then I'll start worrying. Until then, I guess I have to assume if they are right - and maintenance is an issue for Allegiant - their jobs are important than safety. . . . .

Consider that when you try to get a refund.

No one appears to have mentioned that Allegiant pilots and management have been in a three-year battle over a contract. It's therefore not at all surprising that the posts from APA1224.org cast only a negative light on Allegiant operations. APA1224 is the local branch of the union that represents these very pilots. One would expect the union's "news" to be construed in the best way for their members (the pilots) and in the worst way for management, as a bargaining chip. These articles should be taken cum grano salis.