Is photocopying a driver's license a new trend?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2018
Dear Forum:

I never encountered this practice before, and I was wondering if it is a new trend. I'm used (albeit reluctantly) to showing my ID when checking into a hotel (I usually show my work ID card). But this time, the motel scanned the barcode-like sticker on the back of my driver's license plus photocopied the front (all with an iPad). When questioned, the manager said it was the city's fire marshal's rules(!?). If I wasn't so tired and hadn't prepaid for the room, I would have left. I asked at another hotel in the same city, and they said they don't photocopy driver's license, so the reason isn't a city mandate. My question is whether photocopying a driver's license a new trend as I cannot think of any legal reason why a hotel/motel need a photocopy.

Thank you.

Larrylindamore

Mar 13, 2018
Dear Forum:

I never encountered this practice before, and I was wondering if it is a new trend. I'm used (albeit reluctantly) to showing my ID when checking into a hotel (I usually show my work ID card). But this time, the motel scanned the barcode-like sticker on the back of my driver's license plus photocopied the front (all with an iPad). When questioned, the manager said it was the city's fire marshal's rules(!?). If I wasn't so tired and hadn't prepaid for the room, I would have left. I asked at another hotel in the same city, and they said they don't photocopy driver's license, so the reason isn't a city mandate. My question is whether photocopying a driver's license a new trend as I cannot think of any legal reason why a hotel/motel need a photocopy.

Thank you.

Larrylindamore
P.S. I should note that the motel would not accept my work ID; it had to be a government-issued ID card.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Government ID and credit card is pretty standard when checking into a hotel or renting a car. With these two items they know they can find you in the event of Vandalism, Theft, or a police report if needed. It’s like a Mini Credit Check prior to agreeing to rent to you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I’m not sure why they would need to photocopy it unless they have come across fake licenses. Seeing it and scanning the bar code should be enough. In fact in some states it’s illegal. They should have given you to copy when you left or destroyed it in front of you in my opinion.

I have always had to show a drivers license or passport to check in. My work I.D. is not enough.

Is this a major hotel chain? If so, we have company contacts on top of our pages. I would write to the Corporate offices and ask why they had to photocopy it.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This should absolutely not be happening ... assuming everything was done properly and they weren't worried about fraud. Please do follow up and scream about this, it's a scary scenario. Look at my ID by all means, but copy it? I don't think so. Please keep us updated.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I don't see an issue. If someone has stolen your id and presents it, you would thank the hotel for the fact they now have proof that your id was stolen.

Jul 27, 2016
I've encountered this with some frequency in Europe (where hotels Xerox the passport), but never that I can recall in the US. Which hotel was this?

Mar 13, 2018
I’m not sure why they would need to photocopy it unless they have come across fake licenses. Seeing it and scanning the bar code should be enough. In fact in some states it’s illegal. They should have given you to copy when you left or destroyed it in front of you in my opinion.

I have always had to show a drivers license or passport to check in. My work I.D. is not enough.

Is this a major hotel chain? If so, we have company contacts on top of our pages. I would write to the Corporate offices and ask why they had to photocopy it.

Hi Neil:

It was a major hotel chain (Motel 6), and the fact that the manager wasn't consistent with his answers as to why they needed a photocopy (or a scanned copy to be more precise) made me even more uneasy. The fact that no one else reported encountering this makes me wonder if this is a practice only at this particular property. I will contact the company to see what they say. If, it turns out, it is a Motel 6 policy to scan a driver's license, well then, no more Motel 6 for me.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Larrylindamore

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thats my take too. Larry, we have company contacts on top of our page. I think you should go to the Corporate offices, not the local office and report this. If they are doing something the company isn't aware of, then contacting corporate should stop it.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/motel-6/

I am used to this outside the U.S. but not in the U.S. and they should have either destroyed the copy in front of you when you left or given it to you.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Thats my take too. Larry, we have company contacts on top of our page. I think you should go to the Corporate offices, not the local office and report this. If they are doing something the company isn't aware of, then contacting corporate should stop it.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/motel-6/

I am used to this outside the U.S. but not in the U.S. and they should have either destroyed the copy in front of you when you left or given it to you.
They scanned it into an iPad , he says. They can delete the scan, to his satisfaction, but it could also have been already copied somewhere else, either in backup data or a cloud, or even in the same iPad.

Mar 13, 2018
Dear posters:

I received a response from Motel 6's Guest Relations department. Yes, it is a Motel 6 policy to scan the driver's license. When I asked why, Guest Relations responded that it was in conjunction with local law enforcement (whom I'll contact next). Scanned images are held for seven years. And if I want the image removed, I will have to contact the local Motel 6 (not holding any hope that I will be successful).

I did some Google reading and apparently some hotels do photocopy the driver's license. Moreover, there were some states that were trying to enact legislation making the practice mandatory.

No more Motel 6 for me.

Larrylindamore

Status
Not open for further replies.