Is faredepot.com stealing my money?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 25, 2016
Hi I brought a ticket from faredepot.com for the price of $614 which was nonrefundable. A few days pass and I see there was a refund on my card for the price of the ticket which was $614 I called and was told that the ticket was voided and that it was refunded. So I purchased another ticket from somewhere else. When I check my credit card statement I see there is a charge on my card for the price of 566 from faredepot.com so I called them and was told that they tried to purchase the ticket again and that the second time it was successful. I was never told that they would try to purchase the ticket again or that it would be a different price this is really confusing to me, are they even allowed to do that?the thing is that the date of the trip has already passed it was Jun 20-23. Is there any way I can fight this charge and is there any advice someone could give me that can help in my situation. Thanks for your help

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Hi I brought a ticket from faredepot.com for the price of $614 which was nonrefundable. A few days pass and I see there was a refund on my card for the price of the ticket which was $614 I called and was told that the ticket was voided and that it was refunded. So I purchased another ticket from somewhere else. When I check my credit card statement I see there is a charge on my card for the price of 566 from faredepot.com so I called them and was told that they tried to purchase the ticket again and that the second time it was successful. I was never told that they would try to purchase the ticket again or that it would be a different price this is really confusing to me, are they even allowed to do that?the thing is that the date of the trip has already passed it was Jun 20-23. Is there any way I can fight this charge and is there any advice someone could give me that can help in my situation. Thanks for your help

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you receive an email from them confirming the $566 flight?

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
We always recommend avoiding online travel agencies and buying direct since the saving typically isn't that much and the service when there is a problem is so much better.

Id recommend contacting their customer service in writing - there is an email on their website - and explaining the situation and ask for a refund.

If they were going to try and repurchase the ticket, they should've told you that.

Hello Maria,

I am sorry to have read this experience with Fare Depot. Would it be possible to list your facts such as did you call the airline to see if you have a reservation with a Ticket#? Please know that a ticket number is very important as it enacts the contract between the vendor and you. Without a Ticket# you would not have a reservation but merely just a held ticket that was not paid for by Fare Depot.

I would ask Fare Depot if they have wired the funds to the airline. Travel Agencies normally have a date called TAW Travel Agent Will Ticket and your reservation goes into a queue The Travel Agency will do a "test charge" to see if you have an active credit card to see that you have funds available. The agency has a time limit to ticket the reservation and if it has passed your reservation is automatically purged.

To me it seems like the fault lies with the Travel Agent you saw that the ticket was voided but did they send you a new itinerary with a new ticket# and PNR(Passenger Number Record)? If not then you do have a case that I am sure Mr Elliott and his team can help you to resolve.

Best of luck to you, and please let us know if we can be of more help.

Daniel(travelplus)
Elliott.Org Staff Advocate

We always recommend avoiding online travel agencies and buying direct since the saving typically isn't that much and the service when there is a problem is so much better.

Id recommend contacting their customer service in writing - there is an email on their website - and explaining the situation and ask for a refund.

If they were going to try and repurchase the ticket, they should've told you that.
I agree with you that its best to deal directly with an airline unless its a Consolidator but even then it must be IATA approved and have other designations and protections. I never send a check to pay for an airline ticket and always do so by a major Credit Card. Debit Cards offer little to no protection should the agency go bankrupt and the vendors have not been paid.

Often times as is the case you will find a fare with a little fare difference of $3-$4 dollars and please note that you are not necessarily purchasing the same ticket from Expedia as you would from Delta. Its best to read the terms and conditions. What happens if the airline goes under? What happens if you miss your flight? If you can't answer questions such as these then its best to avoid using that vendor.