International "Daily Pass" - Incorrectly billed

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 22, 2017
During a recent international trip, Verizon billed me for multiple days when I did not use the "daily pass" feature (i.e., I had my data turned off, and didn't make any calls or send any texts). My account details on the Verizon website - which includes specifics of data usage and phone calls/texts - confirms that I didn't use the feature on some of the days for which I was billed. When I called customer service, I was told that the foreign carriers had indicated usage on those days, but they would not provide me any specifics or show me any evidence. They offered me $20 to consider the case closed - which I have refused to accept. Customer service has also told me on two separate occasions that they will have a manager call me back - and neither time has that occurred. Anyone have something similar happen - or have any advice about how to resolve this issue in my favor?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Use our company contacts on top of our page and start writing to the executIves at Verizon. Start with the first executive shown and move on up one at a time weekly.

I have AT&T and their international plan I have to pay for for a whole month, I can't pick and choose the dates. If Verizon is differently look at switching to Verizon

T-Mobile has a free international add-on to a couple of their plans that allows unlimited free data and texts, together with calls at 20 cents per minute in over 100 countries. You just have to call up and ask for it to be activated.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Apparently AT&T now also has an International Day Pass option for $10 per day.
https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/day-pass.html

It's available only for customers who have a Mobile Share plan or an AT&T Unlimited plan. They also warn that "If you have apps running in the background that use data, you’ll be charged the daily fee."
I wonder if that might be what happened with our letter writer even though he's on
Verizon.

kenish

Verified Member
Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
I use Verizon, but haven't used the international data roaming packages. How did you turn your data off? (There's off and there's OFF, at least on Android phones). As mentioned in Post #3, apps send and receive data in the background transparent to you. Even one single solitary byte of data counts as "use" for that day.

Is it possible the start and end time for a day is based on a US time zone? Maybe the usage was on a single day at your travel location but bled across midnight in the US. (Just a thought)

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2017
Is it possible the start and end time for a day is based on a US time zone? Maybe the usage was on a single day at your travel location but bled across midnight in the US. (Just a thought)
That's a good thought, that actually happened to me once. In that case customer service took care of it very quickly.

Apr 10, 2017
T-Mobile has a free international add-on to a couple of their plans that allows unlimited free data and texts, together with calls at 20 cents per minute in over 100 countries. You just have to call up and ask for it to be activated.
It's the T-Mobile One plan and that's what I have. It's legit too. My husband and I switched this past December after nearly 16 years with AT&T for this reason plus we saved a lot of money. I was leery there would be a catch but we have been to Cayman Brac and Grenada since then with no additional charges showing up on the bill.

It's the T-Mobile One plan and that's what I have. It's legit too. My husband and I switched this past December after nearly 16 years with AT&T for this reason plus we saved a lot of money. I was leery there would be a catch but we have been to Cayman Brac and Grenada since then with no additional charges showing up on the bill.
I've used this service in the UK, Greece, Italy, Spain, Germany, Austria, Netherlands, Czech Republic, France, Costa Rica, and several airport stops in between. The data may not be lightning fast, but it works. T-Mobile's local service may not quite rival the big guys but I've been a loyal customer for years.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
My wife has been wanting to move her service from AT &T since we went to Europe with our friends and they had better international coverage with their phone than she had with her A T & T.

However, T Mobile doesn't work in the rural location in Virginia where her daughter lives, so she can't switch to it. It is beyond me how it works fine in Europe but right here in the good old U.S. she can't get a signal at her daughters.

My wife has been wanting to move her service from AT &T since we went to Europe with our friends and they had better international coverage with their phone than she had with her A T & T.

However, T Mobile doesn't work in the rural location in Virginia where her daughter lives, so she can't switch to it. It is beyond me how it works fine in Europe but right here in the good old U.S. she can't get a signal at her daughters.
It works in Europe through piggyback agreements with other providers, which can change from place to place. T-Mobile was originally started by Deutsche Telekom, hence its international presence. I think they're still the majority shareholder. I've found myself connected to Orange, Vodafone and several others while abroad, but never received a data charge and calls were 20 cents / minute.

I agree that their service in some rural areas doesn't match Verizon's but if you have a phone that can access VOIP with your home internet wireless, then you may be able to live without a strong over-the-air signal.

Believe me, I have no connection with T-Mobile. I'm just happy to pass on info about something that works as advertised and saves me a few dollars when I travel.

Apr 10, 2017
It works in Europe through piggyback agreements with other providers, which can change from place to place. T-Mobile was originally started by Deutsche Telekom, hence its international presence. I think they're still the majority shareholder. I've found myself connected to Orange, Vodafone and several others while abroad, but never received a data charge and calls were 20 cents / minute.

I agree that their service in some rural areas doesn't match Verizon's but if you have a phone that can access VOIP with your home internet wireless, then you may be able to live without a strong over-the-air signal.

Believe me, I have no connection with T-Mobile. I'm just happy to pass on info about something that works as advertised and saves me a few dollars when I travel.
I feel the same way. I definitely have no connection to the company but I feel I'm getting more value for my money. But it works very well where I live and I understand that's not the case for many people. The data speeds and coverage are excellent at home and at work for me.

Feb 9, 2016
Just used the $10 daily international pass thru ATT. The CS rep made it clear that the moment it starts pinging the international tower the charges start. The moment it starts pinging American towers the charges stop.

We departed the US at 6:30, arrived in Italy at 7:30 am. The cell phone was turned on at 8:00 am, this began the first 24 hour period that we were charged for. The final morning we were in time, we made sure to turn the phone off before 8 am and the phone did not get turned on until we landed in America. If the phone was left powered on in Italy past 8 am it would have pinged international towers, and we would have gotten charged.

There is a 'data transfer' that occurs in order for the phone to find a tower, and a phone that is powered on is always looking for a tower to use. Even if you turn "roaming" off, the phone looks for a local tower to use.

Last edited: