Interjet Canceled My Flight - Refund Nightmare

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 16, 2019
3 of us booked a direct flight from New York to Cancun on Interjet for late June. On April 30 we were notified that our flights were canceled. Interjet discontinued their direct flights from NY to Cancun. They suggested we move to another flight that leaves 6 hours earlier and has a 3 hour layover in Mexico City. None of us can take the recommended flight.

Based on Interjet's Contract of Carriage: https://www.interjet.com/en-us/legal-information/regulations-and-policies/contract-of-carriage , we are entitled to refunds. However obtaining the refund has been a nightmare. Interjet has put us all on hold for hours and finally when we get through to them they tell us we need to provide bank account information (i.e. routing #, etc.) to get a refund. We all paid with credit cards (on Expedia, Chase Rewards, Vayama), so none of us understand why we need to provide our bank info. Additionally, it does not seem safe to give out that information.

Expedia in particular has not been helpful in obtaining a refund for the canceled flight and none of us have received refunds. We are concerned that we will not get our money back since Interjet does not seem to follow standard practices and their customer service is impossible to reach (75% of the agents are Spanish speaking only or tell you that they are not authorized to refund you).

What is the best way to go about getting a refund so we can rebook our flights with another airline?

May 16, 2019
Did you contact your credit card company and file a dispute?

When you rebook, book directly with an airline and don’t use an OTA. This would have been very simple if you booked directly.
Yes now learned about booking directly, but I still don't think Interjet is good about giving refunds when they are do. A quick internet search (which I wish I had done before booking), shows many many complaints of people waiting over a year and still not receiving their refund (due to Interjet canceling their flight) and multiple people stating that Interjet is asking for bank info for a refund.

May 16, 2019
I would pursue this with Expedia. They are your "travel agent." They booked the flight, they need to advocate on your behalf.
Yeah so Expedia keeps deferring back to Interjet, which is why it's a nightmare! 2 weeks of the same process over and over where Expedia calls Interjet and Interjet asks for bank account info... does that sound bizarre to you? Why would we provide bank info when we charged on credit cards?

Dec 19, 2014
Yeah so Expedia keeps deferring back to Interjet, which is why it's a nightmare! 2 weeks of the same process over and over where Expedia calls Interjet and Interjet asks for bank account info... does that sound bizarre to you? Why would we provide bank info when we charged on credit cards?
I'm genuinely curious as to the rationale as to why Expedia defers to Interjet.

As Neil says, dispute this on your credit card, if you are within the allowed time frame.

I would start with a written communication to Expedia and escalate as needed.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I'm genuinely curious as to the rationale as to why Expedia defers to Interjet.

As Neil says, dispute this on your credit card, if you are within the allowed time frame.

I would start with a written communication to Expedia and escalate as needed.
Because Interjet has to refund the money and Expedia can't get them to do it either.

Marshmallow should escalate this within Expedia but waiting to do that is wasting precious time in filing a cc a dispute. So the cc dispute should be done and at this point I might leave Expedia alone or there might be a double investigation going on and it could be a mess.

The OP has tried to work with Interjet and is getting nowhere.

This is a great example of why people need to be careful of using these small airlines. This happens with Interjet all the time with discontinuing routes. My wife had a client who was going to the DR and wanted us to book Interjet because of the price vs. Jet Blue and my wife refused because of their reputation. She told the client if they wanted Interjet they needed to do it themselves. Two weeks before leaving, Interjet canceled the route and the clients called my wife in a panic for new flights. The new flights on Jet Blue ended up costing the family $1800 more than if they had booked JetBlue in the beginning at the prices my wife gave them.

This is why travel advisors are still around.