INSURANCE to get or pass

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 25, 2018
I have no auto insurance .I rent a car for 10 days and put 3200 miles on it ( Alamo unlimited mileage )
My question is I have done this 2 times a year for the past 3 years with no problems but Im worried im pushing my luck as last month I had a false damage claim but was dropped today thanks to this website. I am leaving again in November and was wondering about getting the cdw @26.00 a day for protection of theft and any damage to the car? or is insuremyrentalcar.com all that good as the reviews claim what should I do?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You can use either but you certainly should not be driving a rental car without any insurance. You must carefully check what is and isn't covered if you use either. Make sure the CDW coverage also give you personal liability coverage- many don't have personal liability and you still need to purchase it.

You should also check with your credit card company to see if they offer rental insurance and find out exactly what it covers because you still might need additional coverage if something happens. The issue with relying on your credit card is that if the coverage is secondary and you have no car and no primary car insurance - the credit card insurance might be worthless.

This is an interesting story you might want to read:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/george-hobica/everything-you-need-to-kn_b_3577103.html

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I have no auto insurance .I rent a car for 10 days and put 3200 miles on it ( Alamo unlimited mileage )
My question is I have done this 2 times a year for the past 3 years with no problems but Im worried im pushing my luck as last month I had a false damage claim but was dropped today thanks to this website. I am leaving again in November and was wondering about getting the cdw @26.00 a day for protection of theft and any damage to the car? or is insuremyrentalcar.com all that good as the reviews claim what should I do?
Get a credit card that provides PRIMARY insurance. You can find one with a google search or go to the major credit card issuers, or get one from the airline you regularly use. But make sure the insurance is primary.

Sep 19, 2015
If you do go the credit card insurance route, verify that the benefits have not changed. If you are renting abroad, bring a copy of any and all policies.

Travelers have to be proactive now. These claims coming to people after the car has been checked in and reviewed by car rental employees are ridiculous.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you do go the credit card insurance route, verify that the benefits have not changed. If you are renting abroad, bring a copy of any and all policies.

Travelers have to be proactive now. These claims coming to people after the car has been checked in and reviewed by car rental employees are ridiculous.
And some countries, like Ireland, have specific insurance that has to be purchased to drive in that country.

Jul 27, 2016
A credit card will provide insurance if you damage the rental car, and, if you have no auto insurance, all card insurance is primary (since there's nothing to be secondary to).

This still leaves you without insurance if you damage someone else's car or injure them. For that, you'll either need to buy liability insurance from the car rental company or get a non-owners liability policy. They're cheap, mine is around $200/year for $500k in coverage.

Jul 27, 2016
The issue with relying on your credit card is that if the coverage is secondary and you have no car and no primary car insurance - the credit card insurance might be worthless.
Quite the opposite: if you don't have any other insurance, then your credit card is primary by default.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
So to be blunt, you've been very lucky. You cause an accident, wreck the rental car, injure 3 people in the other vehicle and .... who will pay for all this? You can quickly ruin your life by going uninsured. When I was in my twenties, I didn't have health insurance half the time, I never was sick, so why should I worry? Just blind ignorance and good luck kept me out of trouble.

Jul 27, 2016
I said MIGHT be useless, not it is useless. It depends on the card. It still doesn't leave you with liability insurance.
How might it be useless? How would that depend on the card? Point is, there's no scenario where card insurance is LESS useful if you don't have your own insurance.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2016
Get a credit card that provides PRIMARY insurance. You can find one with a google search or go to the major credit card issuers, or get one from the airline you regularly use. But make sure the insurance is primary.
If you don't have your own auto insurance, then any card's insurance is primary.