Insurance for US expats visiting the US

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 18, 2018
Like many expats I have "worldwide" medical insurance, but coverage is severely restricted when I travel to the US. In my particular case, emergency medical treatment is not covered if I stay longer than 7 weeks. So, the only option is to buy travel insurance. Many of the reputable companies do not insure Americans returning to American. Many companies that do offer such coverage get horrendous reviews. The options seem to be self-insure, or go for less than 7 weeks. Any help out there?

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Like many expats I have "worldwide" medical insurance, but coverage is severely restricted when I travel to the US. In my particular case, emergency medical treatment is not covered if I stay longer than 7 weeks. So, the only option is to buy travel insurance. Many of the reputable companies do not insure Americans returning to American. Many companies that do offer such coverage get horrendous reviews. The options seem to be self-insure, or go for less than 7 weeks. Any help out there?
You can't afford to self-insure for US healthcare costs. A "simple" illness, surgery, or injury can cost $50-100,000 or more. Maybe Neil can suggest some resources. Have you called some of the major travel insurance providers directly?

You may be forced to limit your stays to less than 7 weeks, as many Canadian do now when visiting the US. You could inquire what would happen if you went to Canada for a day or two and then entered the US again.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
If you are 65 you might simply get Medicare and use it only while in the US (it would generally provide coverage abroad). The cost is quite low--you may well be eligible for part A based on your tax returns, and part B is not very expensive per month.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If you are 65 you might simply get Medicare and use it only while in the US (it would generally provide coverage abroad). The cost is quite low--you may well be eligible for part A based on your tax returns, and part B is not very expensive per month.
I don't think Medicare provides coverage outside the US at all, but it's worth investigating. Even if it did, the cost is probably far too high for "occasional need" and I'm sure you have to reside in the USA. For travel insurance, I use Travel Insurance Center in Omaha, you can speak with a real agent and hopefully get answers and guidance. Ask for Dan Drennan.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I don't think Medicare provides coverage outside the US at all, but it's worth investigating. Even if it did, the cost is probably far too high for "occasional need" and I'm sure you have to reside in the USA. For travel insurance, I use Travel Insurance Center in Omaha, you can speak with a real agent and hopefully get answers and guidance. Ask for Dan Drennan.
Medicare supplements provide insurance
You are correct about regular Medicare-my post did not get the "would generally NOT provide coverage abroad". Sorry, my error.
Medicare supplements do provide coverage abroad.

Jan 30, 2018
SOME - not all - Medicare supplements provide coverage abroad. My plan F policy provides only $50,000 lifetime coverage abroad.

Sep 19, 2015
The OP has not said if they are Medicare eligible.
I would suspect too young for Medicare which is why insurance question.

The OP may have to leave the US before the end or look for a custom policy from an insurance company.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Obtaining insurance from a US company probably won't be easy as you normally have to be residing in the States to purchase it. Have you looked at policies sold in the country you are residing in? I did find this one policy that appears to provide long-term medical coverage to US Citizens residing abroad when traveling include to the US. Google PATRIOT TRAVEL MEDICAL INSURANCE

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
SOME - not all - Medicare supplements provide coverage abroad. My plan F policy provides only $50,000 lifetime coverage abroad.
Right you are, LDV. We'd never want to make a blanket statement about health insurance coverage overseas. All travellers need to carefully check their coverage before they depart the good ol' USofA. It's good to verify it before every international trip; easy to do now on the website.