Insurance for a One-way Ticket to Paradise

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 7, 2019
My daughter has booked a one-way ticket to Hawaii (for Sept. 2019) and plans to stay for some indefinite period of time. Is there any insurance co that writes policies on one-way tickets; the usual sites I use all required a round trip flight. I suspect she's passed the CFAR deadline but something for missed connections, cancellation in the case of covered illness, etc would be great/

thanks

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I simulated a purchase on insuremytrip.com and had no problem. I was asked only about the trip cost . . .
I tried it and couldn’t get past one screen by not putting a return date in. The screen stated the trip begins and ends from your front door.

To our OP- give it a try.

Attachments

Apr 23, 2018
I'm probably missing something, but why wouldn't an insurance company insure a one-way trip? They'd be assuming only half the risk of a return trip, and they could probably charge the same premium because in most cases they (premiums) are relatively small. Maybe there is some sort of problem insuring one-way international flights (like arrival country not admitting passengers who don't have return tickets) but the OP is not travelling internationally.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I'm probably missing something, but why wouldn't an insurance company insure a one-way trip? They'd be assuming only half the risk of a return trip, and they could probably charge the same premium because in most cases they (premiums) are relatively small. Maybe there is some sort of problem insuring one-way international flights (like arrival country not admitting passengers who don't have return tickets) but the OP is not travelling internationally.
Because it is an opened ended policy - there is no end date for the policy so there is additional risk for the insurance company something could happen.

Jan 6, 2015
From Squaremouth:

Most single trip travel insurance policies cover travelers from door to door, starting when they leave home and ending when they return home. This is because single trip policies take into account the length of the trip when calculating a policy’s premium, so defined departure and return dates are required.

Some providers may offer coverage for one-way trips, however coverage ends when the traveler reaches their destination. Their coverage will not extend beyond their arrival.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have never seen a policy that offers one way coverage. I tried several companies and none of them offer the ability. If you put the return date of the policy as the day the passenger arrives at their destination, the policy could be voided if you put in a claim because you put false information when you purchased the policy. The insurance companies look for any excuse not to pay on a claim.

Jan 6, 2015
Neil and Pegx: as a cross-check I contacted InsureMyTrip and was told:
  • They do sell them
  • There are no State-by-State prohibitions
  • Time-sensitive benefits are EXCLUDED (no CFAR or Pre-existing conditions waiver)
  • The insured cannot purchase a return flight prior to the departure date
So yes, best to call whichever insurer you choose . . .

Feb 3, 2017
If the traveler wants coverage for medical/emergency care situations while there or if they have to interrupt their stay there because they need to return home - not sure how such things would be covered with an open ended trip.

If it is just for pre-departure and actual flight time where the insurance coverage ends when they reach their destination and nothing more, maybe something somewhere does exist; I've also tested a few just to see and none moved forward without a return date.

Calling is best to be certain of any potential possibilities.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Neil and Pegx: as a cross-check I contacted InsureMyTrip and was told:
  • They do sell them
  • There are no State-by-State prohibitions
  • Time-sensitive benefits are EXCLUDED (no CFAR or Pre-existing conditions waiver)
  • The insured cannot purchase a return flight prior to the departure date
So yes, best to call whichever insurer you choose . . .
The best option would be for them to call Insuremytrip and find out which company offers this and book through them.