Injury at the Hampton Inn

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes, Algebralovr, what you say is correct. The original injury appeared to be just a little gash that some antibiotic ointment and a bandaid would take care of. I had no idea that it was a puncture wound. It didn't appear to be something that needed to be seen by a doctor. If it had appeared to be serious, I would have gone to an urgent care center. The only way I knew that it was a more serious injury was as it healed the skin around the wound kept getting redder and the area spreading. Luckily I took a photo of my injury shortly after it happened that day with my phone and of the piece on the bed that cut me. I also took photos as the seriousness of the injury became evident.
When I contacted Hilton they said the Hampton is a franchise and that I would have to deal with them. When the hotel finally emailed me an incident report to fill out and I printed it, it was evident that it was a used form that they had whited out! You could still see the pen strokes from another incident! Very unprofessional. However, I made it out and returned it, but I still haven't heard anything from them. I asked them where I should send the doctor's bills and my photos. That was on the 5th of this month (Feb.).
BTW, after six weeks the cellulitis that developed from the wound has healed except for some residual discoloration and a small scar. I am finally able to use the pool and hot tub, but half of our Florida stay is now over.
You may have to turn to an attorney to take this over. You might want to talk to one.

Jan 24, 2016
I really don't want to get an attorney involved, if I don't have to. All I want from the Hilton/Hampton are reimbursement for my medical bills and some compensation for the limitations that I've had since we arrived in Florida.
I'm very disappointed with Hilton. Since they are the parent company, I expected to deal with them, not the manager of a small Hampton in Alabama.
I am very tenacious when I know I am right. I won't give up easily. They were in the wrong. I have dated photos to prove what happened.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I really don't want to get an attorney involved, if I don't have to. All I want from the Hilton/Hampton are reimbursement for my medical bills and some compensation for the limitations that I've had since we arrived in Florida.
I'm very disappointed with Hilton. Since they are the parent company, I expected to deal with them, not the manager of a small Hampton in Alabama.
I am very tenacious when I know I am right. I won't give up easily. They were in the wrong. I have dated photos to prove what happened.
I am very glad to hear that the physical trauma is about over, a puncture wound is nothing to take lightly. I understand your feelings about Hilton, it does seem like they're not stepping up here. But perhaps their policy is to allow the property itself to deal with a situation, since they have the firsthand knowledge. But a "second hand" incident report??? Come on, that's insulting.

There are so many posts on this thread that it would be helpful if you would make up a little list of events with dates, we can advise on your next steps. You definitely want to deal with this in writing, and I think Hilton needs to help here. While it's important to give the other side time to respond, there's no point in letting too much time go by.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have you written your way through all the executives on our list? When you write to each of them and don't get anywhere, it's time for us to turn you over to Chris. But he won't look at the case unless you have written to all the executives and don't get a satisfactory response. Write once a week to the each executive. When you've gotten through the entire list, let us know and we'll put you in touch with Chris, who will want to see every piece of email from both sides and then may take the case.

Nov 20, 2015
As a business owner and healthcare provider, I have been involved in a number of cases similar to yours. That is, when a business is responsible for a patient's injury or illness(eg. “food poisoning” at a restaurant or, as in your case, another type of infection). Usually, patients are successful in obtaining reimbursement for most of their medical expenses, provided the case is clearly documented. Often, this can be done without hiring legal help. I'm not an attorney and I'm not telling you shouldn't hire one—I'm just relating my experiences.(Many of these were in Alabama.)

For now my advice is to wait before talking to the Hilton corporate people. From what you've said, the owner of this hotel was first made aware of your infection a little more than a week ago. Once he received the incident report (on Feb 5), he likely turned your case over to his business liability insurer. The insurer will likely take a statement from you, ask you to submit records of all your expenses, and get you to sign a release to obtain all of your medical records directly from the doctors/clinics who treated you. Then it may take a while for the records to be sent to them. Once they receive them from the doctor, they'll take some time to review the records and get back to you. I think it's likely that you will be reimbursed, but it may take more time than you would like.

When I say expenses, I mean out-of-pocket expenses. If Medicare or health care insurance has paid any of the expenses, there is generally an obligation to repay to them any money the patient receives in excess of what he paid out of pocket.

As far as compensation beyond your medical bills, it's unlikely they'll give you something unless you ask for it. Come up with a number that you believe you deserve and ask for it. I think it's a long shot that you'll get much of anything, but you should try. Be tenacious and patient.

Aug 10, 2013
Atlanta
As a business owner and healthcare provider, I have been involved in a number of cases similar to yours. That is, when a business is responsible for a patient's injury or illness(eg. “food poisoning” at a restaurant or, as in your case, another type of infection). Usually, patients are successful in obtaining reimbursement for most of their medical expenses, provided the case is clearly documented. Often, this can be done without hiring legal help. I'm not an attorney and I'm not telling you shouldn't hire one—I'm just relating my experiences.(Many of these were in Alabama.)

For now my advice is to wait before talking to the Hilton corporate people. From what you've said, the owner of this hotel was first made aware of your infection a little more than a week ago. Once he received the incident report (on Feb 5), he likely turned your case over to his business liability insurer. The insurer will likely take a statement from you, ask you to submit records of all your expenses, and get you to sign a release to obtain all of your medical records directly from the doctors/clinics who treated you. Then it may take a while for the records to be sent to them. Once they receive them from the doctor, they'll take some time to review the records and get back to you. I think it's likely that you will be reimbursed, but it may take more time than you would like.

When I say expenses, I mean out-of-pocket expenses. If Medicare or health care insurance has paid any of the expenses, there is generally an obligation to repay to them any money the patient receives in excess of what he paid out of pocket.

As far as compensation beyond your medical bills, it's unlikely they'll give you something unless you ask for it. Come up with a number that you believe you deserve and ask for it. I think it's a long shot that you'll get much of anything, but you should try. Be tenacious and patient.
You can always ask the insurance company for an amount beyond any medical bills. After my husband was in a bad car accident, he really wanted to be compensated for his 2 days off of work on top of the medical bills he had. But didn't want to hire an ambulance chaser. It wasn't enough to merit hiring an attorney, but it feels morally wrong to hire an attorney on contingency and get money you're not entitled to. He simply asked the insurer for this amount, which they readily agreed to send him so long as he signed a release. Many times, insurance companies will negotiate a small, reasonable sum. Because they know you could hire an attorney and probably receive significantly more. Its cheaper for everyone.

Jan 24, 2016
Update: After sending in all the required bills, photos and forms over the past four months and getting the runaround -- call this person, this person will call you, send it this and that, Hilton saying it is not their problem but that of their franchise, the insurance company will call (never did) and so on -- I finally got a call last week from Hilton offering me a small amount of money. My husband who has been a Hilton Honors member since the program's inception then sent an email to them, and as a result I received another call offering more compensation. I wasn't asking for a windfall, just my doctor's bills and prescriptions and a small amount to compensate for the pain and restrictions on our Florida vacation. I think his Hilton Honors number and the large number of points he has got their attention. Being a member of a company's loyalty program is a good idea. I should have had him handle this all along.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
Update: After sending in all the required bills, photos and forms over the past four months and getting the runaround -- call this person, this person will call you, send it this and that, Hilton saying it is not their problem but that of their franchise, the insurance company will call (never did) and so on -- I finally got a call last week from Hilton offering me a small amount of money. My husband who has been a Hilton Honors member since the program's inception then sent an email to them, and as a result I received another call offering more compensation. I wasn't asking for a windfall, just my doctor's bills and prescriptions and a small amount to compensate for the pain and restrictions on our Florida vacation. I think his Hilton Honors number and the large number of points he has got their attention. Being a member of a company's loyalty program is a good idea. I should have had him handle this all along.
@nanafish - I'm happy you got resolution, but sorry it took so long to happen. Sounds, frankly, like Hilton was doing anything possible to avoid settling up with you. I'm glad they finally did, and hope you are back to feeling 100%.

Thank you for coming back to let us know what transpired.