Injury at the Hampton Inn

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 24, 2016
A month ago we spent the night at the Hampton Inn in Enterprise, Alabama on our way to Florida. I cut my leg on a sharp piece of plastic sticking out from the bed. It was a corner piece meant to hold the mattress in place that evidently someone had hit, maybe with a wheelchair, since our room was an accessible room. The manager refunded the points we spent for the room, but since that time I have developed cellulitis around the wound. As we are now in Florida, I have been unable to use the pool or the hot tub since we arrived. Unless this gets worse, I don't want to contact an attorney. However, I certainly think the company should pay my doctor's bills and offer me something for my pain and inconvenience. I sent Hilton an email a few weeks ago, but I never heard back. What, short of legal action, should be my next step?
BTW, I took photos that day of the sharp piece that cut me and photos of the injury.

Jan 6, 2015
Thank you for reaching out to us. In order to assist you we need additional information:

▪ Who you contacted at Hilton
▪ When and where you were treated

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2016
I sent the original to HILTONNET@HILTONRES.COM. I got a reply from Guest.Correspondence@hrcc-hilton.com on January 9 saying "Please allow us up to three (3) business days to review and resolve this matter with the hotel directly." Since then, absolutely nothing.
In rereading the email that I received two weeks ago, I now see something I didn't see before. It gives a number to call and a file number. Would my best next step be to call the number? The situation has worsened since I sent the original email.
When I didn't hear from them in the three days, I figured they were ignoring me.

Jan 6, 2015
Yes, I would call them using the file number if you can record the call. To the extent you can, politely "insist" upon email confirmation of anything they promise. Companies will rely on documentation. Verbal statements or offers made by a representative are essentially unprovable and will likely be discarded in favor of your proof vs their policies.

Also a caution that once you involve an attorney your alternatives for resolution shrink to almost zero. You have multiple options to pursue before that point is reached.

Finally, be sure you have documentation of your diagnosis and treatment. We strongly recommend that you use email for communications and attach your documentation.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2016
First of all, if I can record the telephone call, would I tell the person at the other end that I am doing so?
Also, I am undergoing treatment at the present time because the situation has worsened since I sent the first email (with photos), but I thought I should follow up and let them know this rather than wait until I'm back to normal (hopefully). The doctor I saw on Friday said it could take months and referred me to another doctor. The reason I am wanting to get this on the record now is mainly because the man at the front desk of the hotel said he was documenting my injury, but I saw nothing. All he said was, "I'm sorry this happened. Do you want the manger to call you?" He didn't even have a first aid kit with antibiotic and large bandaids. Luckily the breakfast server was there and got some out of the kitchen!
Unless this gets a lot worse, I have no intention of consulting an attorney.
Thank you for your advice.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
@nanafish -

I'm so sorry this happened to you. You're wise to be seeing a doctor and taking the injury seriously.

Adding to @VoR61 's excellent advice above, I would suggest that you keep a detailed log of what has transpired .... WHO you spoke with (name, employee ID#, something to define which person it was and where they were located), WHEN you spoke with them, WHAT was said and/or promised, and all followup information including dates of dr visits.

A log like this will simplify issues and serve as a sort of paper trail.

My colleague is correct that written correspondence trumps phone calls. BUT if they have given you a phone # and file #, I agree that you should call them, taking copious notes as you do so. If they say the conversation will be recorded, request a copy of the recording.

Please keep us advised as to what transpires ...

Jan 6, 2015
Recording a call can run afoul of 2 party consent laws. However, with businesses they usually say that the call may be recorded so I do the same.

Nov 20, 2015
I admire you for not running to an attorney immediately. Based on what you've told us, I believe the owner of the Hampton should be on the hook for this. You've already had a month of treatment for cellulitis, and your physician has told you may have months of treatment remaining. Usually this means the bacteria are highly resistant to antibiotics, or underlying medical conditions make the condition difficult to treat. This is not a typical case of cellulitis--a week or two of an antibiotic usually takes care of it.
Do you know if this is franchise, or is it owned by Hilton corporate? I would be inclined to get back in touch with the manager or owner of the location and tell them your story again. Given another chance, he might be able/willing to help you resolve this more quickly. Also, I am glad you're getting a second opinion on your medical treatment --as I said, this is not run-of-the-mill cellulitis.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
A couple of things. I wouldn't expect a hotel to provide "antibiotics and large bandaids" at the front desk. Toothbrush, maybe; medical supplies, no. Why didn't you go to an urgent care clinic immediately after your injury if it was that severe? You say "since that time" you developed cellulitis. How many days after the injury was it? If it was several days after you arrived home and hadn't gone to your doctor right away, I think the hotel will claim that you developed cellulitis because you didn't seek immediate medical attention. I'm not making light of your problem, but the hotel isn't going to pay for your medical bills. That would be admitting liability, and they're not going to do that unless you sue them. Refunding your points for the stay is a goodwill gesture. Paying for your medical bills admits that they were negligent.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
You mentioned not enjoying the facilities bc of the injury. The hotel reimbursed you for the trip so that is not a fair complaint.

1. Did you sign any waivers upon accepting the hotel's compensation?

2. Also, did you visit the emergency room immediately, that night or the following day? It is your responsibility to properly care for your injury.

I am so sorry this happened to you. You probably should have taken antibiotics immediately to prevent infection. Florida has millions of doctors and hospitals.

Aug 28, 2015
A couple of things. I wouldn't expect a hotel to provide "antibiotics and large bandaids" at the front desk. Toothbrush, maybe; medical supplies, no. Why didn't you go to an urgent care clinic immediately after your injury if it was that severe? You say "since that time" you developed cellulitis. How many days after the injury was it? If it was several days after you arrived home and hadn't gone to your doctor right away, I think the hotel will claim that you developed cellulitis because you didn't seek immediate medical attention. I'm not making light of your problem, but the hotel isn't going to pay for your medical bills. That would be admitting liability, and they're not going to do that unless you sue them. Refunding your points for the stay is a goodwill gesture. Paying for your medical bills admits that they were negligent.
I think every hotel and Vacation Rental should have a basic first aid kit for guests. Cellutlitis can be serious as it can turn into Sepsis. First and foremost LW should see doctor again and resolve infection. Secondly, deal with reimbursement.
Nanafish, I assume you are wintering in Florida? Do you have medical insurance? Go back to a doctor again and have it checked again. You may have health factors that make this more serious.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I think you are highlighting the crux here, AMA. What kind of treatment was used for the original injury, and when was it administered? How was the hotel advised of the seriousness of the injury and when? Is Nana covered by health insurance and if so, what is the deductible amount?

On the first aid supplies, I have to disagree with you ... the front desk should definitely have a first aid kit instantly available.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
I think you are highlighting the crux here, AMA. What kind of treatment was used for the original injury, and when was it administered? How was the hotel advised of the seriousness of the injury and when? Is Nana covered by health insurance and if so, what is the deductible amount?

On the first aid supplies, I have to disagree with you ... the front desk should definitely have a first aid kit instantly available.
I agree totally about the stocked first aid kit. I would think that would be a REQUIREMENT for a hotel front desk ...

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Ok, maybe a hotel should/might have a first aid kit. But are their staff expected to be trained as nurses or paramedics? It's not like a cruise ship where they HAVE to have a doctor because they're hundreds of miles from land. A Hampton Inn is probably no more than 15/20 minutes from a hospital, doctor's office, or walk-in clinic, and there's always 911. Even if the front desk had bandaids, why would anyone with a significant injury not seek more professional attention?

Aug 29, 2015
My guess is that the original injury simply looked like a basic gash, the kind that moms wash, add ointment and a bandage, and say will heal shortly.

Unfortunately, it did not heal as expected.

@nanafish Since you state the front desk clerk said he was documenting the incident, I would ask for a copy of the report.

I would recommend that you keep all receipts and statements regarding your medical care in one place, and perhaps scan them into the cloud. My guess is that the specific Hampton and Hilton Hotels will work with you, but not until your treatment is completed.

Jan 24, 2016
My guess is that the original injury simply looked like a basic gash, the kind that moms wash, add ointment and a bandage, and say will heal shortly.

Unfortunately, it did not heal as expected.

@nanafish Since you state the front desk clerk said he was documenting the incident, I would ask for a copy of the report.

I would recommend that you keep all receipts and statements regarding your medical care in one place, and perhaps scan them into the cloud. My guess is that the specific Hampton and Hilton Hotels will work with you, but not until your treatment is completed.

Jan 24, 2016
Yes, Algebralovr, what you say is correct. The original injury appeared to be just a little gash that some antibiotic ointment and a bandaid would take care of. I had no idea that it was a puncture wound. It didn't appear to be something that needed to be seen by a doctor. If it had appeared to be serious, I would have gone to an urgent care center. The only way I knew that it was a more serious injury was as it healed the skin around the wound kept getting redder and the area spreading. Luckily I took a photo of my injury shortly after it happened that day with my phone and of the piece on the bed that cut me. I also took photos as the seriousness of the injury became evident.
When I contacted Hilton they said the Hampton is a franchise and that I would have to deal with them. When the hotel finally emailed me an incident report to fill out and I printed it, it was evident that it was a used form that they had whited out! You could still see the pen strokes from another incident! Very unprofessional. However, I made it out and returned it, but I still haven't heard anything from them. I asked them where I should send the doctor's bills and my photos. That was on the 5th of this month (Feb.).
BTW, after six weeks the cellulitis that developed from the wound has healed except for some residual discoloration and a small scar. I am finally able to use the pool and hot tub, but half of our Florida stay is now over.