Incorrect dates booked on Glitchy App

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 3, 2017
I am on vacation in London and living through a booking nightmare similar to a story published by the Chicago Tribune on Aug 17th about an individual that booked 10 nights instead of 1.

Except in this instance Expedia and the hotel is refusing to refund me. I have no where else to turn and hope this is something you can help me with.

I booked on the Expedia Android App.

I had meant to book for Monday Oct 1st to Thursday Oct 5th but with the slip of a finger picked the next week on the App Oct 8th - Oct 12th. I then didn't realize this on the final confirmation page I believe in part due to the apps user experience and technical glitches. It came to my attention the second it was booked and I contacted Expedia immidiately via phone where they communicated they would contact the hotel and I should expect confirmation of refund the next day. I instead received a decline and this was the start of several follow ups and an extended nightmare distracting from enjoyment of my London vacation.

Import to note is I had to restart the app while booking and had found it somewhat glitchy and confusing with information not clearly highlighted. When I tried to recreate what I had done I got the error which I have screen shots of. The 3 mains issues in the screen shots are

1) dates communicated in white test on grey/which image while everything else communicated in black text with white background
2) Did not say non refundable and no link to further details
3) it actually was not showing the final cost summary amount but still gives option to swipe to confirm

I have had to spend hours on the phone with Expedia and have gone to the hotel and received emails from Park Plaza where they basically say they have no control and are hiding behind the 3rd party.

Expedia has responded refusing my refund on grounds of user error but has not actually replied or acknowledged my email highlighting the technical issues with the app.

When I first called in I explained I had an error with the app. Expedia was optimistic they could refund, since then I did not push further on the app issues as things looked optimistic but now as I have brought it back to the forefront I am being ignored.

I have several email communications from both Expedia and Park Plaza I can send you to expand upon what has happened and show the corporate curtain the two companies are hiding behind saying it is the others decision to refund but first wanted to give an overview and seek your advise.

I am currently on the hook for just under $1000 have already spent hours on phone with Expedia and in person at hotel in London and could really use some help. Really appreciate your time.

Also please note I always book with cancelations however because this was a same day booking I choose not to as I was going to head straight to the hotel and didn't see the need. I realized that error imidiately..not upon arriving at hotel.
-

Oct 3, 2017
Yes

I usually book with cancelations but was intending to make a same day booking so did not see the need.

I will try to use the contacts and update if successful.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We never get complaints about things like this when users choose refundable options. We never recommend the non refundable price - and this is why. A simple error like this costs.

I truly hope that you might find a sympathetic ear- but we rarely have a good outcome with the non refundable rates. Let us know.

Michelle Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
Our company contacts section is still not directly available (IT is working on it). But here is a link to our Expedia contacts.

When a customer complains about a computer glitch in a company's website, it will then go back to that day's computer records and see if other complaints of a similar nature were reported that day from other customers. If there aren't any, that is how user error is determined.

Oct 3, 2017
This was on the App not the website.

Which I am assuming has a much smaller user base.

I would think that screen shots of an error happening on the same phone making a booking for the same dates for the same hotel submitted to expedia would be more relevent data.

Oct 3, 2017
I showed up to the hotel in person spoke with Manager and we called there reservation line.

They were not accommodating and told me I should be dealing with Expedia.

Oct 3, 2017
With respect to Prof I have images of the app malfunctioning when I went in to book the same hotel for the same dates on the same phone.

So proof it malfuntions. I can't go back in time for the exact occurencr of the error I had at the time booking but it is clear proof the app has issues on my device.

Feb 9, 2016
With respect to Prof I have images of the app malfunctioning when I went in to book the same hotel for the same dates on the same phone.

So proof it malfuntions. I can't go back in time for the exact occurencr of the error I had at the time booking but it is clear proof the app has issues on my device.
First thing you do is call your credit card company and ask what the window is to file a dispute. You want to make sure you understand deadlines and the drop dead date.

If you have proof the app is glitchy, you should write Expedia customer service, detailing your experiences - your booking experience, whom you spoke with and where, the conversations, etc, attaching the proof - and ask for a refund/the outcome you desire. If denied, start working your way up the expedia executive ladder, sending the same email and asking for the same outcome (a refund? a credit?)

If you exhaust the executive ladder and are denied, I would get a chargeback going.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/expedia/

Oct 3, 2017
I have already opened a dispute through American Express.

I was able to get as far as corporate care with Expedia however they focused on this being the hotel decision not to refund and when I sent a detailed issue with the app they did not engage or respond to the email.

I have forwarded this same email to the expedia executive emails listed on this site.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You sent it to all of them at once? You should start at the bottom and work your way up one at a time. If you have the screen prints showing the error- that's even better and will help you in your claim with Amex. Glad you were able to re-create it.

Feb 9, 2016
I have already opened a dispute through American Express.

I was able to get as far as corporate care with Expedia however they focused on this being the hotel decision not to refund and when I sent a detailed issue with the app they did not engage or respond to the email.

I have forwarded this same email to the expedia executive emails listed on this site.
If you've opened a dispute via Amex then there's nothing left for us to advise you on.

I encourage you to save all documentation you have and forward that to Amex to support your claim. it's especially important to let Amex know, by forwarding the correspondence, that you attempted to engage Expedia regarding their glitch website, and they would not respond. Dredge up your phone records that show exactly when you called Expedia to discuss the error. The date/timestamp on your phone records, coupled with the date timestamp of your reservation, will bolster your claim that you immediately saw the issue and attempted to resolve it. Shoot, even most airlines have a 24 hour cancellation policy!

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Oct 3, 2017
I have spent enough time on this that I did not want to delay any further I sent to all 3 of the Expedia corporate contact listed on the site with the original ignored emails and screen shot of app malfunctioning and sent the same documents to American Express where they have opened a dispute.

I will let you know if any updates.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Oct 1 intended for same day 1st to 5th but instead booked for 8th-12th
Ah, yes, you did mention that in your original post. There is another person who just posted a similar scenario to yours....let's see what date they made the booking (waiting for their reply). It could help in your quest for a refund with Expedia.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
According to the OP she stated, "with the slip of a finger....". It is irrelevant that the website is glitchy if the glitch did not cause this particular error.
You also mention that you received a slide to confirm message. That is a security step that proves you took an additional action to confirm the booking with the dates selected.
Also, it is not uncommon for a same day booking to default to a different day. I recently faced this issue but it was my own fault.
The hotel probably should have just refunded if you called immediately, bc you were en route and I doubt it lost business in the interim. Poor customer service but I would move past this glitch thing and just say yoibtold them right away and ask them to cut you a break.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have spent enough time on this that I did not want to delay any further I sent to all 3 of the Expedia corporate contact listed on the site with the original ignored emails and screen shot of app malfunctioning and sent the same documents to American Express where they have opened a dispute.

I will let you know if any updates.
Unfortunately this is not what we recommend. If the highest executive comes back with a no - you have no one else to appeal to. When you work your way up one by one as we recommend, you have a better chance of having it looked at and resolved.

Let us know what happens.