improper booking by SNAP TRAVEL

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 28, 2020
back in Nov i was planing a trip and my travel agent got me a good deal from Cape Town to Boston.

couple weeks later at a normal physical my dr. was concerned about very low heart rate, well to make long story short i was admitted for emergency pacemaker surgery and advised not to travel.

most airlines and site were accomodating but SNAP Travel.

while getting ready to request a refund my agent was a bit confused as my flight was on BA but ticket number was AA. well we got a few surprises. first off it was not Cape Town to Boston via Heathrow but after Boston continued to Chicago...hidden city. then on same ticket a return to Cape town was included. open jaw and throwaway ticket.

My Travel agent said this violates every rule in the book and i could be denied boarding or if i kept my mouth closed it is possible my luggage could end up in Chicago or cause problems with airline as i would not be on flight and they may not like my luggage going on a plane and me disappearing.

we contacted SNAP they said a lawsuit 5 years ago said this was legal and no refund. tried to cancel ticket and take penalty but again they said against airline policy as flight was still scheduled abd ticket not refundable.

i have cancel for any reason trip ibs but still this is not right.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Why did your travel agent book through this site and how did they not see the connections on a trip they booked for you? Didn’t they look at the itinerary before booking? This company has over 500 complaints with the BBB.

I hate to say it but your travel agent is the problem - they never should have booked that ticket if their were illegal connections. Didn't they look at the connections before they booked? That’s your agents fault for booking the flights without looking at them.

If the flights are still flying and you bought nonrefundable tickets, you aren’t due a refund because you are ill and can’t travel. That’s what your travel insurance is for.

File a claim with the travel insurance. That’s is what you bought it for. I also suggest finding another travel agent. A legitimate travel agent books travel using a GDS, not a discount supplier.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Whenever a travel agency or individual traveler uses the term "legal" when referring to hidden city or throwaway tickets they are technically correct, at least in the United States. No law prohibits such behavior by either person/entity.

However, the effect of these is as your agent has indicated. Assuming you check your luggage, it will be sent to Chicago (unless you are required to take it through customs), which is only the beginning of your problems. When the airline sees that you have NOT boarded in Chicago they will label you a no-show and cancel your return flight, if you have one reservation (PNR) for both flights.

The way that travelers circumvent this is to book two (2) separate tickets and use only carry on luggage so they can abandon a leg without the airline canceling the return flight and not have luggage problems. If the airline discovers this they can and will cancel the return flight anyway and might ban you from the airline.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020
Why did your travel agent book through this site and how did they not see the connections on a trip they booked for you? Didn’t they look at the itinerary before booking? This company has over 500 complaints with the BBB.

I hate to say it but your travel agent is the problem - they never should have booked that ticket if their were illegal connections. Didn't they look at the connections before they booked? That’s your agents fault for booking the flights without looking at them.

If the flights are still flying and you bought nonrefundable tickets, you aren’t due a refund because you are ill and can’t travel. That’s what your travel insurance is for.

File a claim with the travel insurance. That’s is what you bought it for. I also suggest finding another travel agent. A legitimate travel agent books travel using a GDS, not a discount supplier.
we booked a trip to Boston on BA. the itin from snap show trip to Boston on BA.. was not utntil he saw actual ticket number and realized it was not BA number but AA number that it came to light.

i do have ins but fact remains this ticket goes against all airline rules and even if i was traveling, which by the time this return flight takes place i can travel i can be denied boarding.

my agent has been nothing short of fantastic. my trips are complex and i fly to remote destinations around the world. i tried other agents but all they say is "my wholesaler can't "

even now we compare different sites and his wholesalers. so far Kayak has beat the wholesalers.
this ticket came from a listing on kayak.

since kayak is extremely reputable and we have booked dozens of flights through them i have faith in them.
sadly you cannot spend your life checking every broker so sometimes you get burned.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020
Whenever a travel agency or individual traveler uses the term "legal" when referring to hidden city or throwaway tickets they are technically correct, at least in the United States. No law prohibits such behavior by either person/entity.

However, the effect of these is as your agent has indicated. Assuming you check your luggage, it will be sent to Chicago (unless you are required to take it through customs), which is only the beginning of your problems. When the airline sees that you have NOT boarded in Chicago they will label you a no-show and cancel your return flight, if you have one reservation (PNR) for both flights.

The way that travelers circumvent this is to book two (2) separate tickets and use only carry on luggage so they can abandon a leg without the airline canceling the return flight and not have luggage problems. If the airline discovers this they can and will cancel the return flight anyway and might ban you from the airline.
exactly the issue we were concerned about. i travel extensively ever year and have flown a plethora of airlines. following the rules may cost a little more but avoids problems. i do not want to get banned by the airlines.

not worth the few $ i might save plus the inconvenience of having bags possibly end up half a continent away.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
we booked a trip to Boston on BA. the itin from snap show trip to Boston on BA.. was not utntil he saw actual ticket number and realized it was not BA number but AA number that it came to light.

i do have ins but fact remains this ticket goes against all airline rules and even if i was traveling, which by the time this return flight takes place i can travel i can be denied boarding.

my agent has been nothing short of fantastic. my trips are complex and i fly to remote destinations around the world. i tried other agents but all they say is "my wholesaler can't "

even now we compare different sites and his wholesalers. so far Kayak has beat the wholesalers.

since kayak is extremely reputable and we have booked dozens of flights through them i have faith in them.
sadly you cannot spend your life checking every broker so sometimes you get burned.
As a travel agent- a reputable agent does not book through these website AND always checks the itinerary before booking it.

If your agent is using these type of websites, they are responsible for checking what they are booking. It is your agents responsibility to know what they are booking if they are booking for you.

You can sue the agent for booking an illegal ticket or you can use your insurance to file a claim for a refund.

Dec 28, 2020
apparently you need to be a mind reader to figure out reviews.

on BBB site they have 535 complaints in last 3 years. yet have B+ rating. gurss they pay a lot of $$ to BBB AS THE MORE YOU PAY BBB THE HIGHER YOUR RATING.

if you read companies responses it basically says they can set their own policies and your bound bybthem.

the itin they sent was exactly as booked even on BA site. not until he got actual ticket number for ins that we found out all other flights.

rated favorably on trust pilot.

called scammers on trip advisors.

so who do you believe ? trust pilot is reputable and if you go by their reviews you think SNAP is good company

• Wow
Reactions: Skippy

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
apparently you need to be a mind reader to figure out reviews.

on BBB site they have 535 complaints in last 3 years. yet have B+ rating. gurss they pay a lot of $$ to BBB AS THE MORE YOU PAY BBB THE HIGHER YOUR RATING.

if you read companies responses it basically says they can set their own policies and your bound bybthem.

the itin they sent was exactly as booked even on BA site. not until he got actual ticket number for ins that we found out all other flights.

rated favorably on trust pilot.

called scammers on trip advisors.

so who do you believe ? trust pilot is reputable and if you go by their reviews you think SNAP is good company
Yes, BBB is pay to play which is why you have to go further than just looking at the letter rating.

However- as I said- a professional travel agent doesn’t book through sites like that AND they are responsible for what they book. Your issue is with your travel agent if you opt not to use insurance because you cannot travel due to a medical condition.

Alternately- this company has an address in California. You can file a complaint with California State AG about SnapTravel.

Jul 13, 2016
Kayak may be reputable, but it is just a search engine. When you “buy” from Kayak, you are being directed to another company’s website. Kayak does not vet those companies. That’s why a conscientious Travel Advisor does not use Kayak. Kayak could be sending them, and their client to a scam website, or to some guy in a basement who has a flashy website. You just don’t know.

Dec 28, 2020
Yes, BBB is pay to play which is why you have to go further than just looking at the letter rating.

However- as I said- a professional travel agent doesn’t book through sites like that AND they are responsible for what they book. Your issue is with your travel agent if you opt not to use insurance because you cannot travel due to a medical condition.

Alternately- this company has an address in California. You can file a complaint with California State AG about SnapTravel.

that is obviously a waste of time as with 535 complaints i doubt anyone cares.

Yep Kayak is search engine but has found airlines wholesaler do not have.

not perfect but used by millions each year and less complai ts than some travel agents.

My travel guy does great job finding flights, calls wholesalers, checks airline sites and yes we use Kayak for flights.

if i get bad hotel on Hotels.com can i say i should have called hotel directly.

i had few issues with hotel i booked on Hotels.com one tiem. i reached out to them and rhe cust service was great and fixed the issue and gave me a credit based ipon what i paid for free night anywhere else i the future.

using the internet for travel is a good thing. using only travel agent and wholesaler is thing of the past.

my guy has a staff of 40 in his office and zero complaints.

so i have no blame for him.

• Wow
Reactions: Skippy
Jul 13, 2016
In your first post you said that your TA says the flights he booked violates "every rule in the book". We have all agreed that you risk denied boarding and/or complete loss of your tickets/money if indeed you actually flew from Cape Town.

Then it appears that your TA never checked the tickets at time of purchase, since he would have noticed the code-share and the hidden city issues. No idea if SNAP Travel offers a voiding of the tickets within 24 hours of purchase (usually offered when buying tickets directly from an airline flying to/from USA), but finding out immediately may have offered some relief or solution.

I agree with post #2. Your TA is at fault. He booked the tickets using some entity with whom he's not familiar; he failed to notice the glaring problems of the non refundable tickets. Yes, Snap Travel shouldn't have sold the tickets. It is a horrible company with no integrity and is apparently all about making the money no matter the consequences. And your TA used them. He chose to use them.

If you still like your TA, then take the loss and continue to use him. Or ask him to reimburse you for his errors. Maybe he has Error and Omissions insurance he can claim against.

Jul 13, 2020
since kayak is extremely reputable and we have booked dozens of flights through them i have faith in them
You really need to think of Kayak as a newspapers want adds. Companies pay to be listed on Kayak's site and when customers click on them it transfers the customer to the site that listed the add. Some of these companies that post adds are good or airlines and others are OTA's that range from good to down right horrible. So this makes Kayak listing range from good to down right horrible.
My suggestion is to always do a fast search on any company you are thinking about buying from these sites to see the good , bad and ugly before you give them payment details. Further avoid any of these companies that do not list live pricing ( they guess and if they can not get the price quoted they come back to get more from you).

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
that is obviously a waste of time as with 535 complaints i doubt anyone cares.

Yep Kayak is search engine but has found airlines wholesaler do not have.

not perfect but used by millions each year and less complai ts than some travel agents.

My travel guy does great job finding flights, calls wholesalers, checks airline sites and yes we use Kayak for flights.

if i get bad hotel on Hotels.com can i say i should have called hotel directly.

i had few issues with hotel i booked on Hotels.com one tiem. i reached out to them and rhe cust service was great and fixed the issue and gave me a credit based ipon what i paid for free night anywhere else i the future.

using the internet for travel is a good thing. using only travel agent and wholesaler is thing of the past.

my guy has a staff of 40 in his office and zero complaints.

so i have no blame for him.
Then you’ll need to file a claim with your insurance and have your doctor complete forms saying you aren’t well enough to travel. That’s what you paid the insurance premium for. Use the insurance.

Jun 24, 2019
Whether the ticket is refundable or not, or whether the ticket is OK or not (or would become not OK if OP deplaned in Boston) seems to me irrelevant. Nor is it relevant that OP used an agent who used an internet agency like SNAP.

OP booked a trip. OP has a medical reason that prevents taking the trip. OP has CFAR insurance. OP should file a claim. Upon payment to OP, the insurer can pursue a refund from SNAP, or not.

The reason people buy insurance is for peace of mind. Let the insurance company have the aggravation of dealing with SNAP, if it chooses to pursue that path.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

So it seems to me that you and your TA enjoy putting together complex trips while saving money at the same time. It just stands to reason that most of the travel goes swimmingly, but occasionally something just blows up and won't work. You're probably still better off in the long run than those of us who book the legacy airlines and pay higher prices. Glad you have insurance, so you're not out money. Take good care of yourself so you can resume travelling on your terms.