IF WE'D ONLY KNOWN...Royal Caribbean

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
I'll offer my write-up about insurance for what it's worth. If you can, I'd cancel their insurance and buy from an online broker.

A good policy should be obtainable for 7-10% of your non-refundable trip costs. Premiums vary widely depending on the age and number of travelers, as well as the coverages you seek.
Travel Insurance is Complicated. Because there are so many coverages and restrictions, I highly recommend you speak with a travel insurance broker prior to purchasing. They know what to ask (that you and I don't) in order to steer you toward the right coverage for your needs. Here are some of the available coverages to consider:
  • BASIC policies (or "lite" as they are often labeled). These offer limited coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, travel delays, and baggage issues. But too often they fail to meet the needs of travelers due to their restricted coverages (i.e., covered reasons). COMPREHENSIVE policies can cover one or more of the following for a nominal cost:
  • Cancel for Any Reason. Covers 50-75% of your non-refundables depending on the policy
  • Cruise Cancellation. Covers non-refundables not purchased through the cruise line
  • Employment Layoff. Being unemployed is hard enough without a failsafe for trip costs
  • Financial Default. Covers when a travel provider is no longer in business
  • Emergency Medical Evacuation. Costs can be in the tens-of-thousands!
  • Hospital of Choice. Without this you are transported to the nearest facility
  • Pre-existing Medical Waiver. Covers conditions that insurers decide is "pre-existing"
  • Primary Medical. Places the insurer first in line for claims. Eliminates the need to file with your own insurance.
Be aware that no single policy will cover every possible reason for cancellation at 100%, and that there are time restrictions (e.g., signing up, cancellation) with every policy ...
How do I find a 'travel insurance broker'???

Jan 6, 2015
How do I find a 'travel insurance broker'???
@sas80 identified one of them: insuremytrip.com. There are others who are underwriters of this site (not an endorsement). See: http://www.elliott.org/about-elliott-consumer-advocacy/. And you can always "Google" them.

Whichever you choose call them as their agents are trained well to ask/answer questions and steer you toward the right solution.

I use insuremytrip as well (also not an endorsement - just stating who I use) ...

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2015
And I will add on a related note ...

While travel outside one's home country we all hope is memorable, our health and safety is far more important. This site and others contain many stories of those who encounter the unexpected in their travels and wish they had medical coverage. Add to that the unknown other things that can cause us to cancel, and trip insurance becomes a must.

Jan 6, 2015
you guys are GREAT. Thanks for all the advice...been checking today, and it may be too late to change at this point, but will have learned a good lesson for next time :) Also, most of the policies didn't have 'cancellation for any reason', which I do have. Thanks again for ALL your help!!
Yes, CFAR has a time restriction from the date of your first payment. And some other benefits also have time restrictions. The broker agents can explain it all.

For the cruise, the most important coverage is medical, including a pre-existing condition waiver ...