If a travel agent company overcharged me, what actions can I take against them ?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did the price the travel agent give you include that fee? And did you agree to the price when you booked it? When you say you booked with the “help” of a travel agent what do you mean?

If so- there isn’t anything you can do about it except not use the agent in the future.

Nov 14, 2018
Did the price the travel agent give you include that fee? And did you agree to the price when you booked it? When you say you booked with the “help” of a travel agent what do you mean?

If so- there isn’t anything you can do about it except not use the agent in the future.
They told me the price and said it is the lowest price available.. later when I checked it was much cheaper

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You don’t know you were overcharged. Air prices change all the time. The price today may not be the same tomorrow. Unless you checked the same day you bought your flight- you don’t know what the price was when you booked.

When flight prices are first released they are often very high, then may drop a bit and then go up as the flight gets closer.

You have no claim with the agent. Prices change.

Katherine53

Verified Member
Nov 4, 2018
Airline seats, event tickets, hotel rooms...you are always paying a different price than the person next to you based on your exact time of booking. I have booked airfare myself and then had pricing drop or a special happen. You have to play the lottery with when you book. Sometimes it's cheaper to wait, other times the price doubles. It's just like if you go buy a vacuum cleaner and then the next day the same machine is 30% off. Sometimes the airline/store will refund you, usually they won't. I'm sure your travel agent found you the best rate at the time of booking.

P.S. Today, I just paid $6 for tacos that I later realized only cost $3 twenty minutes later. The taco establishment did not refund my $3...but then again, I didn't ask.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is a common misconception with airline tix. Prices change hourly, or more often. Unless you checked the price of your trip at the exact same moment your TA booked it, you don't know if you were over-charged. You can certainly send the agency manager an email with all the details, including the proof, and ask for a refund.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is a common misconception with airline tix. Prices change hourly, or more often. Unless you checked the price of your trip at the exact same moment your TA booked it, you don't know if you were over-charged. You can certainly send the agency manager an email with all the details, including the proof, and ask for a refund.
There is no proof if they don’t have the price from the exact time they booked the tickets. And if they agreed to the price- they agreed to the price. The Travel Agency did nothing wrong.