Identification for Children

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 14, 2017
We plan to travel with our granddaughter (age 13), from California to the US East Coast & maybe Canada. She has a different last name from us. What identification is required? We both have US passports. Can a 12 year-old have her own passport?

Feb 12, 2019
Yes. Anyone can have their own passport. To get into Canada she will need a passport*. Also I would carry with you a letter stating that the parents agree for you to take grand daughter to x, y, and z and give you the power to make medical decisions for her - have it notarized by both parents. You can likely find templates or example if you search online.

*Technically if you're driving into Canada a Passport Card will do, but you need a Passport Book to fly. Unless you're well versed on the differences I'd suggest getting the Passport Book - it's a little more money but will work for any international travel.

Sep 27, 2018
One thing you will need is a notarized letter from both parents (ideally) that it is okay for the to travel with you. The letter should contain the dates of travel (leave some leeway in case of delays), who she is traveling with and the notarized signatures of the parents. To be safe, I would also carry a copy of the official birth certificate (raised seal). These days with awareness of human trafficking, employees are trained to ask questions.

Jan 6, 2015
Yes. Anyone can have their own passport. To get into Canada she will need a passport*. Also I would carry with you a letter stating that the parents agree for you to take grand daughter to x, y, and z and give you the power to make medical decisions for her - have it notarized by both parents. You can likely find templates or example if you search online.

*Technically if you're driving into Canada a Passport Card will do, but you need a Passport Book to fly. Unless you're well versed on the differences I'd suggest getting the Passport Book - it's a little more money but will work for any international travel.
I agree with @justlisa and will add a recommendation for a passport, which is nominally more but positions you to fly back from Canada should you choose to or need to in the event of an emergency. I have read that at her age her parents must be present for the passport application and that the passport is good for only 5 years . . .

Last edited: