ID Question

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 2, 2018
I did online check in for our cruise sailing 2/24/18. I noticed that my name in the reservation does not have the suffix II that appears on my passport. 2 of 3 RC customer service reps said it matters and to contact the agent and the other said it did not. But the TA sent out an email that said RC won't take ANY name change after 1/26. The last RC rep said they will take a name change up to a few days prior to sailing. I will contact the agent Monday but does it matter?
Thanks for any info.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
I would not worry about that. Although it is best to always book what your passport has something as simple as Jr, Sr, II, III is not as important. And the cruise line reps are notorious for giving different answers. If you want further help, I'd post the question on Cruise Critic on the RCL forum or even just search the forum and you can find an answer.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
I agree with @Neil Maley ... cruise lines usually are OK with a suffix like that. Unless .. a family member is also sailing and has the same name but with a III, Sr, Jr, etc. Then the two identities would have to be separate.

So the passport says II, but the ticket does not. Just wondering: What does your drivers license say? (Depending on your itinerary ... If it's a closed-loop cruise, sailing from/to the same port in the USA, acceptable cruise ID is an original/govt certified copy of your birth certificate plus a govt issued photo ID such as a drivers license. If you have those documents, you might wish to bring them along as backup. But PLEASE double-check with the cruise line that the certified birth certificate plus photo drivers license is acceptable for YOUR particular cruise.

Feb 2, 2018
I agree with @Neil Maley ... cruise lines usually are OK with a suffix like that. Unless .. a family member is also sailing and has the same name but with a III, Sr, Jr, etc. Then the two identities would have to be separate.

So the passport says II, but the ticket does not. Just wondering: What does your drivers license say? (Depending on your itinerary ... If it's a closed-loop cruise, sailing from/to the same port in the USA, acceptable cruise ID is an original/govt certified copy of your birth certificate plus a govt issued photo ID such as a drivers license. If you have those documents, you might wish to bring them along as backup. But PLEASE double-check with the cruise line that the certified birth certificate plus photo drivers license is acceptable for YOUR particular cruise.
License says II. Most responses I''ve gotten say it won't matter but I'll contact the agent.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
License says II. Most responses I''ve gotten say it won't matter but I'll contact the agent.
Didn't your agent tell you that you shouldn't have a problem? I would think he or she would have told you that when you asked about getting it changed.

If you have to come here to get an answer and you booked with a travel agent - they aren't doing their job. They should be your first line of defense.

Feb 2, 2018
Didn't your agent tell you that you shouldn't have a problem? I would think he or she would have told you that when you asked about getting it changed.

If you have to come here to get an answer and you booked with a travel agent - they aren't doing their job. They should be your first line of defense.

This all transpired Friday evening and the travel agency is not open until Monday. The last Royal Caribbean agent said it should not be a problem. I was not quite clear. Thanks

Feb 2, 2018
You’ll be fine. Don’t worry
Thanks. We'll show up and if there's a problem we'll roll with it. It's a "Legends" cruise with the Pittsburgh Steelers and after this past season (for various reasons) we're wishing we had not bothered to do it. If we lose the $$ it won't put us into bankruptcy. and we'll enjoy the cruise either way.

What bugs me is that I got 2 opposite responses from RCL and occasional misleading info from the cruise sponsors. It's frustrating. I'm pretty sure if there was a place to put "II" in the original reservation I would have done it. Just adding it into the last name entry as "Smith II" would have cause serious problems. I get mail addressed as "Mr. Smithii" all the time. Even the occasional phone call asks for that name, pronouncing the 2 "I"s.

Is there anyway to get definitive answers from Royal Caribbean?

Jan 6, 2015
If you would like a response in writing, you can use the Company Contacts link at the top of this page to request confirmation ...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Why couldn’t they fix it in the first place instead of saying that RCCL won’t take corrections after 1/26? That worried you for no reason. But you still would have been ok. At least now you can sleep easier knowing it’s all good.

Feb 2, 2018
Why couldn’t they fix it in the first place instead of saying that RCCL won’t take corrections after 1/26? That worried you for no reason. But you still would have been ok. At least now you can sleep easier knowing it’s all good.
That's a good question. That particular email was obviously not correct as the email I got Friday had a number to call for name corrections. Maybe I misunderstood the first one. But the TA jumped right on it when they read my email this morning and had it corrected very quickly. The response when actually asking questions by phone or email with this TA have been outstanding. Their informational emails should be better vetted.