Icelandair

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 17, 2019
Had confirmed economy seats with confirmation and ticket numbers.
Paid and confirmed since 2018. Icelandair could not figure out how to check me in. Forced me to buy two business class seats or I couldn’t fly.
Overcharged me and now I cannot reverse the credit card fee.
I am fighting to get this credited.
Horrible customer service in London and no one could assist.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Had confirmed economy seats with confirmation and ticket numbers.
Paid and confirmed since 2018. Icelandair could not figure out how to check me in. Forced me to buy two business class seats or I couldn’t fly.
Overcharged me and now I cannot reverse the credit card fee.
I am fighting to get this credited.
Horrible customer service in London and no one could assist.
Sounds awful, Marie, really awful. Please make a list of all the facts in chronological order and we will figure out how to help you get compensated for this mess. We're interested in things like flight numbers, dates, fare classes, what you were told about check-in failure etc. In travel, it's the details that make all the difference.

Jul 17, 2019
I Purchased economy seats almost a year before the flight. Due to their debacle, they couldn’t check me in and they gave my seats away when I clearly had paid tickets, confirmation, locator numbers, seats and ticket numbers!! Then they claimed they didn’t have anymore seats except in the business class which they call saga. Hard to argue the point in an airport. I tried my best. I showed them all of my paperwork Including my paid receipt but still, they would not budge.
Terrible to see the customer service and supervisor not being able to handle this matter. This could’ve been an easy resolve had the right person been in charge. Now I have to fight with my credit card company, the airline, and it’s becoming a true issue on my end.
And I was clearly on the manifest which they showed me on their computer screen!
I even called a day before the flight and everything was in order. I am fighting this until I get them to reverse that credit card charge which was very large as you can imagine because it was business class seats.

Jul 17, 2019
Thank you. I have everything. I have a complete paper trail with all that information complete with all their emails, charges, and original receipts.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What time did you arrive at the airport and gate? Did you get to the airport at least 2 hours before the flight and were you at the gate at the time printed on your boarding pass? It almost sounds like they gave your seats away.

Jul 17, 2019
I was four hours early because it was a very long connection and because I couldn’t check in online. Got to Heathrow, tried to check my bag and they said just hang on we have a little computer glitch. Told me to sit down take it easy and they would take care of it. They took care of nothing. Shortly before the gate closed after three hours
They told me if I didn’t buy the business class seats I couldn’t fly. I didn’t know what else to do. It was the first leg of a very long vacation and no one could assist. You can understand my dilemma.
I saw my name on the manifest and still they didn’t know what to do.
Then as I board, after being forced to buy those biz seats, the agent said, you already have seats on the plane...now you have four!!!! Illegal I am told.
You could not have your name listed twice on a flight. Ridiculous. My husband was traveling with me. We were appalled. A complete mess as you can see. And they would not reverse the charge when I clearly had the seats paid and confirmed months and months before.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Well just when you think we’ve seen it all- something like this happens. I don’t think we’ve ever had something like this here.

Here are our Company Contacts for Iceland Air:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/icelandair/

Start with their Customer Service email and tell them what happened. Tell them exactly as you did in post 8 (along with the res number and dates). Make sure you are clear as your original post didn’t give is the detail we needed. Be specific with time frames and let them know what time you arrived and how long this all took .

Give Customer Service a week to reply. If they don’t help, move up one at a time using the info here:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Sep 19, 2015
What a mess. How were the tickets bougt and from whom? Was this part of a round trip or one way. If roundtrip was it the outbound or return? If it was return were there any problems on the outbound?

Jul 17, 2019
Well just when you think we’ve seen it all- something like this happens. I don’t think we’ve ever had something like this here.

Here are our Company Contacts for Iceland Air:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/icelandair/

Start with their Customer Service email and tell them what happened. Tell them exactly as you did in post 8 (along with the res number and dates). Make sure you are clear as your original post didn’t give is the detail we needed. Be specific with time frames and let them know what time you arrived and how long this all took .

Give Customer Service a week to reply. If they don’t help, move up one at a time using the info here:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
Thank you. I will follow up with everything.

Jul 17, 2019
What a mess. How were the tickets bougt and from whom? Was this part of a round trip or one way. If roundtrip was it the outbound or return? If it was return were there any problems on the outbound?
This was a one way from LHR to KEF.
Then another one way later in the week from KEF to Dublin. There is another story there but I won’t get into it too much with this post. It has to do with WOW Airlines which was eventually shut down and then I had to get credit and get back on Icelandair because they discontinued the flight and then put it back on the board...and charged me extra to get it back. All along, they had control over this and did nothing. My experience with this airline has taught me never to use it again. But I am going to keep fighting the charge for the outbound, London to Reykjavík leg.
Eventually may file another complaint for the Dublin leg too. Totally unprofessional and very upsetting.

Sep 19, 2015
Thank you for the info as the ticket was bought from the airline the airline has to answer for this. Marie Mancini do you live in the UK? Or in the EU? Or US? The reason I ask is there are various enforcemement and consumer organizations in EU countries if writing to the execs does not produce a resolution.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you for the info as the ticket was bought from the airline the airline has to answer for this. Marie Mancini do you live in the UK? Or in the EU? Or US? The reason I ask is there are various enforcemement and consumer organizations in EU countries if writing to the execs does not produce a resolution.
She’s in the US.

May 1, 2018
It doesn't matter that the OP is from the US. This was a flight operated by an EU carrier flying between 2 EU airports. If the OP meets the definition below then she does have a right to compensation for being involuntarily denied boarding.

‘Denied boarding’ means a refusal by the airline to carry a passengers on a flight on which they hold a confirmed reservation and where have presented themselves for check-in and at the boarding gate not later than the time advised by the airline, tour operator or travel agent (if no time was indicated, not later than 45 minutes before the scheduled departure time). This does not include situations where the airline or its agent has reasonable grounds to deny passengers boarding, such as reasons of health, safety, and/or security, or in cases of inadequate travel documentation.
I'm struggling to follow the OP's narrative since it's quite convoluted, but it seems she was denied boarding under the above definition.

This is the official EU261 complaint form: https://ec.europa.eu/transport/site...ir/doc/complain_form/eu_complaint_form_en.pdf

Sep 19, 2015
It doesn't matter that the OP is from the US. This was a flight operated by an EU carrier flying between 2 EU airports. If the OP meets the definition below then she does have a right to compensation for being involuntarily denied boarding.

I'm struggling to follow the OP's narrative since it's quite convoluted, but it seems she was denied boarding under the above definition.

This is the official EU261 complaint form: https://ec.europa.eu/transport/site...ir/doc/complain_form/eu_complaint_form_en.pdf
No that is not involuntary denied boarding. She was never checked in or at the boarding gate — if you are not at the gate you are not denied boarding.

Somehow the ticket was messed up the airline — voided or incorrectly issued. Usually this happens with OTAs not the airline itself

May 1, 2018
She was never checked in or at the boarding gate
Could you provide a citation for that? I'm not seeing the requirement that she actually "checks-in" in the official EU261 definition. The definition states:

...and where have presented themselves for check-in and at the boarding gate not later than the time advised by the airline
The OP had a confirmed reservation and presented herself to check in on time. Based on the OP's narrative the gate agent acknowledged her name appeared on the flight manifest in her original economy seat so her ticket couldn't have been voided.

The OP also mentioned she booked directly with Icelandair and not through an OTA. We should take her at her word.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

She bought a new ticket so she that might make a difference but if it were me, I would file a claim. If she isn’t due compensation, they will tell her. If she is it will make it simpler.

From what our OP wrote- she did everything right.