Icelandair - Lost and Damaged Baggage Claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 11, 2019
submitted my claim January 8th. sent in receipts and photos per their process and policies. now they are telling me they don't reimburse if you are traveling home (how do they know it's my final destination anyway) and secondly they want me to waste my time to find a repair shop to get the bag repaired then send them the receipt for them to assess if they will pay. even though their policy says if you can produce the original receipt and amount of purchase they will reimburse!

the agent assigned to my case Greta is worthless to say the least. REFUSES to answer my questions about sending me the links to where all this is stated online to customers. REFUSES to look through her emails for all the documentation that i have sent them.

i have emailed their CEO and Director of Customer Experience who all clearly have the same customer service skills as their reps - DON'T CARE ABOUT THE CUSTOMER OR CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE.

it's shocking how an airline like this can get away with such BS service!

Attachments

Feb 11, 2019
icelandair will not compensate for the damaged bag even though their policy says they need to cover the replacement cost if i produce a receipt which i did.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They don't pay for delayed baggage if it is delayed on your way home - as long as you received the bag and everything was in it, there is no compensation due.

How old was the bag? If it wasn't brand new they aren't going to pay fully for a new bag. What was damaged on the bag? Can it be fixed? They are advising you to get a repair estimate.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Feb 11, 2019
not sure where you got all that from. no clothes were taken to dry cleaners. only reasonable expenses were submitted for delayed baggage e.g. toiletries and underwear. plus the original cost of the suitcase to be replaced.
They also completed all paperwork incorrectly so the bag wasn't even traceable, i couldn't track it and had no idea when it was going to be delivered. calling the customer service line - they asked for information that was never given to me at the airport.
so again, where are you getting all this bed-bug crap from????

Feb 11, 2019
They don't pay for delayed baggage if it is delayed on your way home - as long as you received the bag and everything was in it, there is no compensation due.

How old was the bag? If it wasn't brand new they aren't going to pay fully for a new bag. What was damaged on the bag? Can it be fixed? They are advising you to get a repair estimate.
Their policy clearly states that if you submit the original cost of the bag, they will reimburse that. I don't have the time to go and find a repair shop, take it and go pick it up. I'm a single working mother trying to follow the airlines policies, submit what they request but without them following their own guidelines.

Also, if the bag is delayed, they are obligated to pay for reasonable costs to replace what was in there, i had my toiletries in their, i got new ones to replace, as there was no way of me knowing when or if i'd be getting my bag back, as the airport completed the paperwork incorrectly so it wasn't even trackable online.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
not sure where you got all that from. no clothes were taken to dry cleaners. only reasonable expenses were submitted for delayed baggage e.g. toiletries and underwear. plus the original cost of the suitcase to be replaced.
They also completed all paperwork incorrectly so the bag wasn't even traceable, i couldn't track it and had no idea when it was going to be delivered. calling the customer service line - they asked for information that was never given to me at the airport.
so again, where are you getting all this bed-bug crap from????
That post was posted to the wrong post. It was about another problem, not yours

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Use our company contacts for Iceland Air and write to them as we advise in this post:
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Company contacts are located on top of our page.

This is what EU 261 says about damaged luggage
If you’re on an EU or international flight and your bags arrive damaged, here is what you should do:
1) Hold onto your boarding pass and your checked luggage receipts.
If you don’t have your boarding pass, you can use any flight document with a booking reference number. This number is assigned to your flight reservation by the airline and is a six-digit code, which may include both letters and numbers.
2) Report the damage as soon as possible.
You have up to 7 days from the time you receive your bags to do so, but it is always best to report the issue before you leave the airport.
3) Fill out a damage claim form, or Property Irregularity Report.
You will probably be asked to do this if you report the damage in person, but some airlines have the forms online, as well.
4) Present your bags for inspection so they can be repaired or replaced.
Again, it is best to do so before you leave the airport, if possible. The airline will negotiate a solution with you, whether they repair the damage, replace the items, or otherwise compensate you.

So get the executives involved to assist with this.

Last edited: