IcelandAir Cancellation "insurance"

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 9, 2019
I highly encourage all people who book through Iceland Air to *NOT* purchase their insurance since they make it very difficult to actually make a claim. This is *NOT* a general cancellation insurance. It ONLY COVERS MEDICAL SITUATIONS JUSTIFIED BY A DOCTOR'S NOTE!!!!! This is very, very inconvenient and not what most people consider typical cancellation insurance.

I will chalk this up as just another way that Iceland Air nickel/dimes you after you purchase their tickets. BUYER BEWARE.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Icelandairs insurance insurance states that they required documentation from a doctor- did you read the policy before you purchased it?

Documentation in the form of a Medical Certificate signed by a doctor will be required. A Medical Certificate does not entitle a repayment if the Cancellation Protection was not purchased.

The Cancellation Protection can only be purchased at the time when travel fare or confirmation fee is paid.

https://www.icelandair.com/support/terms-and-conditions/cancellation-terms/

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I assume you had an issue not covered by this insurance, Kevin. No coverage of any kind is ever extended without doctor/hospital evidence. It's vital to read all the details of anything purchased online, especially travel insurance. All insurance is a complex issue, the airlines are making lots of money selling policies to people who don't know what they're buying. Insurance agents come to work every day determined to decline as many claims as possible. It's all about the money. I'm glad you shared your story so our other readers can be informed.

Sep 19, 2015
The Cancellation protection is limited but then again it only costs $27. It is does list what is covered.

Even with an independent travel insurance policy one has to understand the coverage limits and procedures. Same with car insurance, home insurance etc.

Mar 9, 2019
The problem with this particular insurance is that it's not made very clear when you're purchasing the ticket that it only is covering you when there is a medical emergency. In addition it doesn't make it clear at all that you're going to need a signed doctor's signature and that could be a problem if you're not the patient. An attitude of didn't you read the information before you purchase it doesn't help anybody. That's just plain arrogance.

Sep 19, 2015
The problem with this particular insurance is that it's not made very clear when you're purchasing the ticket that it only is covering you when there is a medical emergency. In addition it doesn't make it clear at all that you're going to need a signed doctor's signature and that could be a problem if you're not the patient. An attitude of didn't you read the information before you purchase it doesn't help anybody. That's just plain arrogance.
From the website:

The Cancellation Protection ensures the repayment of that part of a travel fare which has been paid to Icelandair and cannot be repaid in any other way if a customer cannot make the intended journey. If the passenger does not manage to make the journey Icelandair repays the ticket. If the passenger needs to change his travel plan after commencement of the journey, Icelandair repays the relevant travel ticket (part of the ticket that has not been used) or change fees (but not the fare difference).

Documentation in the form of a Medical Certificate signed by a doctor will be required. A Medical Certificate does not entitle a repayment if the Cancellation Protection was not purchased.

The Cancellation Protection can only be purchased at the time when travel fare or confirmation fee is paid.

I do not think it is arrogance to point out that people should review what they are buying. Insurance varies as does coverage. I signed up for a difference health insurance this month, and had many options with various deductibles, limits, etc. I had to read them. How can one make an informed decision about what they purchasing without actually reading?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You should always read what you are buying and it isn’t arrogance telling you that. It’s fact. At the very least you should have read it after you purchased as is the case with any insurance you buy. There is usually a link on the page you are buying the insurance with that wants you to click on it to read the policy.

No two policies ate alike and Iceland Airs is about the most restrictive I’ve ever seen. I’m sorry this happened but there isn’t anything you can do about it at this point except to make sure you read the policy before you buy.

Have you asked them if they will give you a credit to use for another flight? That might be the only thing they will do at this point.