Iceland Photography Adventures

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 10, 2018
I would like to plan a trip to Iceland. Never leaving the U.S. is pretty daunting and the planning is an area definitely out of my realm. I know this trip is going to be fairly expensive but I would like to try not just throw my money away for this once in a lifetime travel. I’m wondering if you could possibly help guide me into how to plan a trip like this. Should I use a travel agency? Any recommendations for this type trip? I’m willing to camp in tents and/or seek lodging….I want to go for the photo experience so I’m not going to let sleeping arrangements be my deal breaker. I would like to have 7+ days or more hiking and photographing. I’m just trying to get familiar with where most of my expenses will be and learn how to minimize without being wasteful as much as possible. I know you must be extremely busy so I’d like to thank you for what little bit of time and information you might be able provide for a first time traveler at age 57....Claude

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Hey, Claude, this sounds like a wonderful trip. A good travel agent will be a great help to you ... you can travel independently or join a tour and a TA will have all the info and help you make your decision. Go for it!

I would get on the computer and do searches for Iceland tours, you will uncover a wealth of information so you can decide which way to go. A good TA can then provide details and advice. You should not book any of the online tours, no matter how wonderful they seem, without the advice of a travel agent. I would also peruse TripAdvisor to see what other people have been doing in Iceland and get some ideas. You'll have a great trip.

May 11, 2018
Camping is significantly cheaper than hotels/ hostels. Campgrounds are available everywhere in Iceland. It is advisable to carry your own gear and sleeping bag. If you plan to stay in hostels, getting a hosteling international membership can get you great deals and discounts. Hitchhiking is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to travel across the country. If you do not want to hitchhike, getting a bus pass will be the next cheapest option. Tap water in Iceland is perfectly safe for drinking. You can save a lot of money by carrying your own water bottle. Since you have planned 7+ days for hiking, The Ring Road will be a good option.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Call an experienced travel agent. You don’t pay for using a travel agent. There are tour companies that can do everything from budget to high end. You need someone who can fit it in your budget and know how to get you were you can see the most.

A travel agent who has been there can do it all for you.

Feb 28, 2017
I would recommend first looking at several photographers' websites. Many photographers lead Iceland photography tours which include instruction. Professional photographers will know the best locations and time of day/night to take photos, and often also offer post-processing instruction. These tours often include lodging/camping and local transportation, but generally not the airfare. I would start your research there before going to a travel agency. Then you can let the travel agent help you with the logistics of getting there.