Iberia Won't Pay Out My EU261 Compensation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 24, 2019
On September 24, 2018, I had a flight from Madrid to Los Angeles with Iberia (IB6171). On the day of the flight, Iberia notified me that it had been delayed, and then later that day said the flight was canceled. I was rebooked for a flight at the same time the next day.

From what I understand, I'm entitled to 600 Euros in compensation under EU261. It was a category 3 flight longer than 3,500 km, and I didn't reach my destination until 24 hours later than originally planned.

I've emailed Iberia about this and received a form letter response saying they depend on external factors outside of their control and offering no explanation for what these supposed external factors were.

Since then, I've filed a claim with the AESA on November 2, 2018. That's currently still pending. I also tried contacting Veronica Sanchez, listed on this site under Iberia's Executive Contacts, but that email didn't go through, I think it may be an out-of-date contact or email address.

Any advice on what I can do here? The delay did cost me some money, and I'd like to get what I'm entitled to. At this point I'm also frustrated that Iberia has essentially brushed off my issue.

Sep 19, 2015
If you have contacted the AESA, the national enforcement board, there is nothing you can do but wait. Iberia is going to wait to see what AESA says.

Mar 29, 2016
Never mind, I see, vague and non-specific. You are also due duty of care for you expenses because of the delay. Just write back, not accepting their denial. If they persist, you might have to go to a third party claim service which will cost you a percent of your claim value.

Sep 19, 2015
AESA can take up to 120 days to respond. Between Iberia and Veuling , there are a lot of complaints. Add in Christmas holidays and all, it is likely they are behind.

Jan 24, 2019
Minor Update: AESA recently processed my complaint and reached out to Iberia, they said they'll update me within 90 days or 120 at most.

I also tried reaching out to Iberia customer service again and got the same BS. Sorry, out of our control, we take this opportunity to greet you. I would write back as Cayohueso suggested, but Iberia also responds to complaints from a noreply email address, ensuring that they never have to have an extended conversation with a customer. Talk about awful customer service.

I'm debating emailing the CEO at the email address listed on this site. I've been looking for some other executives to contact also, or really any of the higher ups at the company.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you have asked AESA to get involved, you most likely will not hear from anyone else at Iberia not. You might have to just wait for AESA to do their job. They can enforce this. You can try emailing the CEO but if you don't hear from them - you'll know why.

Sep 19, 2015
Minor Update: AESA recently processed my complaint and reached out to Iberia, they said they'll update me within 90 days or 120 at most.

I also tried reaching out to Iberia customer service again and got the same BS. Sorry, out of our control, we take this opportunity to greet you. I would write back as Cayohueso suggested, but Iberia also responds to complaints from a noreply email address, ensuring that they never have to have an extended conversation with a customer. Talk about awful customer service.

I'm debating emailing the CEO at the email address listed on this site. I've been looking for some other executives to contact also, or really any of the higher ups at the company.
Executives will likely not answer you now that AESA is involved. I think you need to wait for AESA. Yes it is a long process.

Apr 23, 2018
If you have asked AESA to get involved, you most likely will not hear from anyone else at Iberia not. You might have to just wait for AESA to do their job. They can enforce this. You can try emailing the CEO but if you don't hear from them - you'll know why.
You won't hear from anybody at Iberia, if my experience is of any relevance. And it didn't even involve a third party regulatory agency. My one and only experience with that airline has convinced me never to be involved with them again. And I'm normally a forgiving person. :)

Jan 24, 2019
Update: Got some good news this morning. Iberia contacted me to let me know that they've reviewed my case and will be sending me my 600 Euros in compensation. They said in the email that they already contacted the AESA letting the Agency know that they'd contact me to get my mailing information and send payment.

So, from my experience, it looks like filing a complaint with the AESA does work. I'd recommend anyone in the same situation do that as soon as possible, since it can take several months for the entire process to play out.

Thanks to all who responded!