Iberia/Level - name on electronic ticket confirmation correct - name on boarding pass missing letter

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 1, 2018
I can't believe this happened to me. I am so careful when doing anything with Iberia. Last May, I purchased a ticket for my spouse on Iberia/Level, one way, from San Francisco to Barcelona. The name on the electronic ticket they sent to us correct. So today we checked-in online for tomorrow's flight and printed the boarding pass. The last name is correct but the first name is missing the final letter.

I don't know if it is a glitch, maybe too many letters with the full name (19 total) or if something happened when entering the names, date of birth, passport number, etc. Iberia's website is notorious for being error prone and we did have to start over a few times because of these problems. We are locked out of accessing his flight info again (I think this happens when you generate a boarding pass). We do have a printed copy of the flight confirmation showing the correct name and the confirmation email.

We plan on printing another boarding pass at the airport but I doubt it will be correct. Calling Iberia is useless so I'm hoping we can resolve this at the airport by showing the confirmation and electronic ticket documents. We do have some flexibility and the 'worst case' is buying tickets to fly out on Sunday instead of Saturday.

Any helpful advice for what to say at the airport tomorrow will be appreciated.

Thanks!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Excellent news! I was 99% sure, but still worry about this stuff.
FOR OUR OTHER READERS: In a situation like this, your best bet is to present yourself at the airport nice and early and begin your conversation with an agent like this: "Hello, my name is Joe Blow. I'm confused about my boarding pass. I wonder if you could help me". Hand it over and be quiet. Let the agent look at it and ask the questions. Travel is full of tiny little, very important, details. Don't blather on, just answer the agent's questions and let her process it all and come up with a solution. I see that many people get so upset/excited/aggravated that they go on and on and the agent is left to defend herself verbally. You want the agent to solve your problem, so be quiet and just answer the questions.

Apr 1, 2018
And this is what we did. We arrived at the airport 3.5 hours before flight time. When we got to the ticket counter we asked for a new boarding pass. They handed us a new one with the same problem. We casually asked about the error and were told that it isn't at all a problem. And it wasn't. I was worried because of reading all the horror stories about problems with names on the ticket, but this wasn't the same type of problem.

Also, to not be stressed in the worse case scenario, the night before I researched all possible alternative flights and verified that there were seats available. Interestingly, it looks like Iberia/Level (I checked the Level site) offers last-minute bargain pricing because an economy seat the same direct flight from SFO to BCN the following day was priced at €104 for economy, plus € 40 for a checked bag. Norwegian also offered a reasonably-priced last minute ticket, about $400.

If those two options were not available, due to the high cost of last minute bookings on most other airlines, I would have had to use points for award travel on United, which offers any seat, any time for award travel if you have a United Explorer credit card. That has saved me a lot of money in the past when facing flight cancellations. So I was ready if there was a problem and that makes it easy to "roll with the punches."

Thanks again.