Iberia Cancellation with no notification

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 2, 2016
http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/08/02/iberia-complaint-scott-zuckerbrow/

The link above is my detailed pdf of what happened, including any relevant documentation. I also uploaded it.

Long story short (or as short and clear as I can make it):

July 17th - supposed to fly from JFK to Bilbao, connecting through Madrid, but could not because my passport expired in just under 3 months. Advised to get passport next day, return to airport, and Iberia will take care of it.

July 18th - got passport, got to airport, Iberia put me on 8:55pm flight (instead of 5pm flight). I informed Iberia that I only needed to go to Madrid, and not connect to Bilbao. Supervisor told me it would not be a problem and it would not affect my return flights home.

July 28th - Tried to check in for flight the next day. Was able to see my itinerary and flights but got message saying I needed to check in at the airport. (my girlfriend got the exact same message even though she didn't have any problems)

July 29th - arrived to airport at 430am for 655am flight from Lisbon to JFK, connecting through Madrid. Found out my flight had been cancelled/blocked because I did not travel from Madrid to Bilbao. Explained what happened at JFK with the passport and what the supervisor said. They said the flight from Madrid to JFK was fully booked and they could not help me. Supervisor advised me to purchase flight from Lisbon to Madrid and try to handle it in Madrid. She offered me a partial refund. In Madrid, they could not help me because since they already refunded me for the ticket (which I still have not received), there was nothing they could do, plus the flight was fully booked. Once I offered to purchase a new ticket, all of a sudden there were 3 available economy seats. I purchased one out of necessity.

I am asking for a refund of the flights that I needed to purchase to get home from Lisbon and Madrid. I was never notified that my flights were blocked and I was still able to see them on the Iberia website. The supervisor at JFK also assured me that my return flights would not be affected.

Attachments

Oct 5, 2015
I informed Iberia that I only needed to go to Madrid, and not connect to Bilbao. Supervisor told me it would not be a problem and it would not affect my return flights home.
This is considered a voluntary re-routing. Ticket must be re-priced with change fees and reissued.

Did you record the Supervisor's statement. Is it in writing?
If not I do not see you having a strong case.

Oct 5, 2015
Most Iberia fare tariff has this restriction:

APPLICATION RULE
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
SPECIAL ECONOMY CLASS TRANSATLANTIC FARES
APPLICATION
CLASS OF SERVICE
THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE.
TYPES OF TRANSPORTATION
FARES GOVERNED BY THIS RULE CAN BE USED TO CREATE
ROUND-TRIP/CIRCLE-TRIP/OPEN-JAW JOURNEYS.
THE TICKET IS INVALID FOR TRAVEL IF FLIGHT
COUPONS ARE NOT USED IN SEQUENCE.

If you miss (no show) MAD-BIO, a robot will cancel the rest of your flights.

This is very well known in the industry.

The manager you talked to is apparently incompetent and should be fired.
Idiots like her should not be giving wrong advice and information.
Sorry for you bad experience.
But the tariff rules will trump whatever an employee or contractor tells you.

Go ahead and shame Iberia using social networks. Maybe that will wake them up.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As I was reading this, th
Most Iberia fare tariff has this restriction:

APPLICATION RULE
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
SPECIAL ECONOMY CLASS TRANSATLANTIC FARES
APPLICATION
CLASS OF SERVICE
THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE.
TYPES OF TRANSPORTATION
FARES GOVERNED BY THIS RULE CAN BE USED TO CREATE
ROUND-TRIP/CIRCLE-TRIP/OPEN-JAW JOURNEYS.
THE TICKET IS INVALID FOR TRAVEL IF FLIGHT
COUPONS ARE NOT USED IN SEQUENCE.

If you miss (no show) MAD-BIO, a robot will cancel the rest of your flights.

This is very well known in the industry.

The manager you talked to is apparently incompetent and should be fired.
Idiots like her should not be giving wrong advice and information.
Sorry for you bad experience.
But the tariff rules will trump whatever an employee or contractor tells you.

Go ahead and shame Iberia using social networks. Maybe that will wake them up.
As I was reading this is the first thing that came to my mind- you were marked as a no show.

Do you by any chance have the name of the person you spoke to?

Oct 5, 2015
There's something I want to add that might be helpful.

I think you and the manager at JFK made an honest attempt to fix this trip.
Although your passport did not have the right amount of month's left that was remedied the next day AND the IB Manager was nice enough to reaccommodate you.

There are 2 important points to add here.

#1) Dishonest passengers use the hidden city tricks to cheat the airline.
In your case you never intended to cheat the airline.
The fare from JFK to MAD is the same as JFK to BIO. Therefore no fool will book to BIO and escape in MAD. Also any hidden city trick is not doable if other ticket coupons still are for use after the trick. Therefore the airline never lost any fare difference to transport you only to MAD.

#2) It is apparent from your story that the IB agent in JFK agreed that MAD was your end point (not BIO). If they checked your bags only to MAD and never issued you a boarding pass to BIO then that speaks a lot about their agreement to you ending in MAD only.
What they did not do is fix your RES and TKT. They could have removed the MAD-BIO segment at JFK so that the robot will never see you as a no show.

I have a feeling IB might be reasonable enough to go your way given these points.
Good luck.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Yup, Scott, even tho it looked good on the outside, Iberia's computer decided you were a no-show on the outbound and cancelled your return. This happens all the time. Some airlines just take care of you, others dig in and sell you a new ticket. Make a list of the facts, be as concise as possible, your communication should not be more than a page. Put everything in chronological order and list your evidence that you and the JFK manager solved your problem, then Iberia screwed up your trip. Remember that the person reading your email needs to grasp the situation with one read-through, and s/he did not cause your problem, so be polite. This often requires gritting of teeth, but it's important. Determine what compensation you want and ask for it. Submit to Customer Service, wait a week for a response. If no response, or you don't like it, use our Company Contacts to climb up the executive beanstalk ... one executive at a time, waiting a week between each submission. There may be a language issue, so maybe wait two weeks between submissions ... my colleagues should know better than I. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

Last edited: