Iberia canceled ticket without notification

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 5, 2018
Hello,
I joined this forum as I need help/advice with the following issue with Iberia:
I booked a ticket from iberia.com for a flight with Latam airlines (flight from Lima to Madrid). I received a booking confirmation e-mail first, and on the next day I received the actual e-ticket. Few hours before the flight I tried to make on-line check-in, the status of my ticket was showing CONFIRMED. But the web site didn't let me do the check-in and I kept getting a message that I have to go to the airport check-in desk. But when I went to the airport I was denied to be checked-in because Iberia has canceled my ticket without warning. The reason Iberia gave me was that “the credit card company notified us of some irregularly in relation with the payment” and Iberia said that they reimbursed the ticket to my card. Also Iberia was saying that they notified me by e-mail. Actually none of this is true - Iberia did not send me any cancelation e-mail, Iberia did not reimburse the ticket and my bank has never notified Iberia about any irregularity. I have written confirmation from the bank for all this. My bank had to make an internal investigation that took 2 months until they managed to get my money back for this ticket after my return.
As a result of this canceled ticket I had to spend quite a big amount of money for a new ticket for the next day, pay for hotel, taxes, changes of my flights on the next days, etc. I logged multiple complaints with the Iberia customer service platform, this didn't help.
Any help/advice would be highly appreciated!
Many thanks in advance!
Kind regards,
Mari Ket

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Dec 5, 2018
Thank you Neli,
I already wrote to the CEO of Iberia 2 weeks ago and I didn't get an answer at all. Before that I had exchanged multiple messages with Iberia on Facebook and I logged complaints on their website. They refuse to give a logical answer. Please see the attachment showing only part of the communication after I lost control on my emotions... Usually I don't talk like this to anyone, but reading Iberia's answer you can understand why

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Going to the CEO is not the way we advise. Start over and start at the first executive we list. Its better if the CEO didn't respond because if he says no - it's no. We've seen well written polite letters hit the desk of the right person and exceptions made. But unfortunately we haven't seen these type of things happen with Iberia.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Mari, I am so sorry you've had to go through this. Iberia isn't responding to you because they have no idea what happened to your tix. They don't even know if they refunded your money. An airline has complex computer/people systems set up to handle all aspects of a flight. When there's a glitch, nobody checks it out, it just goes unnoticed. If you didn't receive an email about the cancellation, nobody at Iberia knows whether they sent it or not. Booking Latam through Iberia just adds another layer of complexity. Thank goodness you didn't book through an online service.

First things first: when you make a plane reservation, you need to check on that res at regular intervals. If you let it go until the day before when you can't check in, it's too late to solve the problem. Follow Neil's advice and "start over" with Iberia. Make your narrative polite and concise and list the facts in chronological order. People who read complaint letters need to understand exactly what happened on the first read-through, or your letter will be set aside "for later". Best of luck, and please let us know the outcome; Iberia has been the subject of far too many posts on this forum lately.

Dec 5, 2018
Thank you all for the advices! On your page there are only two e-mails listed - the CEO and the Customer Experience Manager. I will write now to the Customer Experience Manager as per your advices and I will let you know if I get any response.

Aug 29, 2018
One question, if I may:

First things first: when you make a plane reservation, you need to check on that res at regular intervals. If you let it go until the day before when you can't check in, it's too late to solve the problem.
According to the poster:

Few hours before the flight I tried to make on-line check-in, the status of my ticket was showing CONFIRMED.
How would those regular checks have helped Mari Ket?

Better advice might have been to get screen captures showing the ticket was confirmed N hours before departure.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
One question, if I may:

According to the poster:

How would those regular checks have helped Mari Ket?

Better advice might have been to get screen captures showing the ticket was confirmed N hours before departure.
Well, you raise a good point, but I wonder what the meaning of "confirmed" is at Iberia? I think it's very possible that careful scrutiny of the res on the airline's website would have revealed a problem ... a problem which could have been solved long before the day of departure. What help would a screen shot be if you're at the airport and they won't let you board? IF you got there 5 hours early, IF a supervisor would help, IF that person would go to bat for you, perhaps some good would come. But we know that this doesn't happen at the airport, the staff is too busy trying to get the plane loaded and out of the gate.

I've read several advocate responses on this forum over the years about "your res isn't confirmed until they issue a tix" ... but how on earth would any traveller know that? You make a res, you get an email confirm, you move on ... or you keep checking that res on the airline's website. What else can you do to avoid a meltdown at the airport? And in the case of a code-share, the traveller has to get the confirmation number of the airline s/he's flying and check that airline's website as well.

Dec 5, 2018
Well, the status was showing CONFIRMED even when I was at the airport and I shown this at check-in. I was at the airport more then 3 hours in advance and I spent them running between all possible desks and making calls with Iberia hot-line, etc. none of this helped.
I think it was some kind of a computer problem, since later Iberia shown me the cancelation e-mail that they state they sent to me and it shows the same date as the date when I received the e-ticket. And then while at the airport the iberia web-site was showing status CONFIRMED, while their internal systems was showing REFUNDED. But the money were NOT refunded. When I started communication with them on Facebook they said that my bank is holding my money. But I have written and verbal (recorded) confirmation from my bank that this is not true. They started internal investigation and it took them 2 months to take my money back.

Dec 5, 2018
Yes - I was charged for the ticket. I always use only debit cards, so the money got out of my card in the moment I bought the ticket. Then months later my bank managed to get these money back from Iberia.

The mail to Customer Experience Manager wasn't received. I received "Undeliverable" status (see attached). I will send it from another mail and try again.

Attachments

Apr 1, 2018
General advice when booking on Iberia's site: There web interface is pretty awful and the back-end data do not mesh well with code-share partners, nor the credit card companies for payments. An easy way to check if there are problems is to review your credit card transactions online.

I booked 5 flights with Iberia this year and, because something didn't seem right on the first flight I booked, I checked my credit card to see if the charges were there. There was a pending charge and that is normal. But after 4 days of it still being pending, I called Iberia and there was indeed a problem and they took my CC info over the phone and emailed me my 'ticket' the following day. The original pending charge was reversed and a new charge was made for the correct amount. Note that all this time, I had a confirmation number. Also note that the problem was a glitch in their system - my credit card was fine, but their system never finalized the transaction.

This happened 3 times - of the 5 bookings I made. I like flying Iberia (and their low-cost Level Air) and their points program is great, so I'm willing to put up with some of their problems. Also note that their Miami telephone center has always given me good customer support, but it can be frustrating waiting so long for someone to answer.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
General advice when booking on Iberia's site: There web interface is pretty awful and the back-end data do not mesh well with code-share partners, nor the credit card companies for payments. An easy way to check if there are problems is to review your credit card transactions online.

I booked 5 flights with Iberia this year and, because something didn't seem right on the first flight I booked, I checked my credit card to see if the charges were there. There was a pending charge and that is normal. But after 4 days of it still being pending, I called Iberia and there was indeed a problem and they took my CC info over the phone and emailed me my 'ticket' the following day. The original pending charge was reversed and a new charge was made for the correct amount. Note that all this time, I had a confirmation number. Also note that the problem was a glitch in their system - my credit card was fine, but their system never finalized the transaction.

This happened 3 times - of the 5 bookings I made. I like flying Iberia (and their low-cost Level Air) and their points program is great, so I'm willing to put up with some of their problems. Also note that their Miami telephone center has always given me good customer support, but it can be frustrating waiting so long for someone to answer.
Another piece of advice: NEVER use a debit card for these transactions.

Dec 5, 2018
Go to the first executive and please report the undeliverable address here:
https://www.elliott.org/add-a-company/
I've already wrote to the first executive few weeks ago and there was no response at all. Or you mean I should inform him about the undeliverable address?
I re-sent the message from another mail, and I will wait for 2 days to see if I will get the same undeliverable message. If I do I will report it to the link you provided