Iberia Airlines not extending vouchers

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 27, 2021
I couldn't travel internationally last summer to see family due to Covid. Iberia gave me a voucher that expires June 30, 2021. I used part of it to reserve travel in early June so I don't lose my money. I don't want to travel to Spain this year as it isn't safe. US has Spain on their Do Not Travel list. Iberia won't give me a voucher to extend it. I've tried dozens of times to get a voucher for travel when restrictions are lifted yet they are not agreeable.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Your next step, I believe, should be to escalate this VIA EMAIL using the contacts in the following link:
send them only the highlights that describe your experience - the things they "need to know"
do not include attachments - - offer instead to send them upon request (the might be "undeliverable" otherwise)
be sure to start at the lowest level and give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I couldn't travel internationally last summer to see family due to Covid. Iberia gave me a voucher that expires June 30, 2021. I used part of it to reserve travel in early June so I don't lose my money. I don't want to travel to Spain this year as it isn't safe. US has Spain on their Do Not Travel list. Iberia won't give me a voucher to extend it. I've tried dozens of times to get a voucher for travel when restrictions are lifted yet they are not agreeable.
Pre-covid, Iberia was known for poor (non-existent) customer service. Post-covid, with billions in losses, Iberia is not in a position to offer anything.

As far as the "Do not travel list" goes, 80% of the world is currently on the list. The EU is now actively looking at opening up travel to vaccinated US travelers this summer so you might want to wait and see about travel in June.

Reactions: Patina and jsn55

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
US has Spain on their Do Not Travel list.
This might be irrelevant

Bigger problem right now is that an American citizen can not enter Spain unless they have a reason included in the exceptions list ( tourism is not a valid reason to go). If this does not change then the voucher is worthless. You could appeal under these reasons for an extension.
Beyond this I expect that there are many many just like you out there. And that I would expect either some kind of law suit ( giving you a voucher that can not be use is not except able) or the governments will legislate this.
Did you ask is this a voucher that has to be used by June 2021 ( but you can book the actual flight till June next year). Or you need to have your flights completed by June 2021.

Reactions: Patina and VoR61
Sadly Iberia is not required to extend any Vouchers due to a Border still being closed. As a Gesture of Goodwill Iberia would want to keep you as future customers. Perhaps the EU will reopen to Vaccinated US Citizens this Summer. At the very least you could appeal as others have stated and yes there are many people in your shoes. What may end up happening is that the airlines could go belly up and then you would have no recourse. It helps to have Travel Insurance.

OP I kindly direct you to this page from the US Department of Transportation regarding refunds:

Also Air Help can potentially assist the OP and many others get their refund. As Iberia is an EU Carrier perhaps you can get compensation under rule EC 271.

If a Travel Agent booked it and is based in California they could go to this website if the seller is based in California or something must exists that is similar in other states that was recommended by NBC Bay Area Consumer Relations and it worked for the Family who lost their tickets and they got a refund. Travel Consumer Resolution Corporation
https://tcrcinfo.org/

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
I am not familiar with EC 271 what coverage does it have?
I do know EU 261 coverage. what does it add to the EU 261 coverage.
I think with EU 261 , the fact that the OP accepted a voucher , would prevent any coverage as the OP was compensated.

Though I am hoping the countries will legislate how these vouchers will be used in the future. Especially to airlines that received money to keep them solvent.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Sadly Iberia is not required to extend any Vouchers due to a Border still being closed. As a Gesture of Goodwill Iberia would want to keep you as future customers. Perhaps the EU will reopen to Vaccinated US Citizens this Summer. At the very least you could appeal as others have stated and yes there are many people in your shoes. What may end up happening is that the airlines could go belly up and then you would have no recourse. It helps to have Travel Insurance.

OP I kindly direct you to this page from the US Department of Transportation regarding refunds:

Also Air Help can potentially assist the OP and many others get their refund. As Iberia is an EU Carrier perhaps you can get compensation under rule EC 271.

If a Travel Agent booked it and is based in California they could go to this website if the seller is based in California or something must exists that is similar in other states that was recommended by NBC Bay Area Consumer Relations and it worked for the Family who lost their tickets and they got a refund. Travel Consumer Resolution Corporation
https://tcrcinfo.org/

Hope this helps!
Our OP is not looking for a refund.

Iz, I see the problem that you already used your voucher for a new purchase, and you plan to cancel that trip. Read the terms & conditions of the voucher to see if it's valid again after it's been used to book the new trip you can't take. You may have to call Iberia. I have 3 future credits with United and I was reading the rules yesterday and it's not clear whether I can use more than one credit per new tix. United and I both speak English ... this is a fairly simple question and the wording is obtuse. So the answer to the question of extending a voucher that's already been partially used for a new tix which you want to cancel is probably not clear on Iberia's website.