Iberia Airlines ignoring emails and will not resolve problems that they have caused.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 2, 2018
Booked a return flight with Iberia (we all make mistakes) from Paris to PTP for October, returning in November. Iberia told me that they were changing the date of my return flight by 1 day. I know that I am not entitled to compensation under EU 261/2004 (as more than 2 weeks notice was given) but the airline still has a responsibility to provide a hotel, food and transport for the 24 hour delay. But Iberia are refusing to do this.

Next thing from Iberia was an email to say that I have been rebooked onto a budget airline (Level) instead. So I lose legroom, entertainment and also included onboard meals. Again, I have requested that Iberia rebook me onto a legacy airline, but Iberia have failed to answer.

Tried all the company contacts on the Elliott.org website, gone through the contacts but no joy from Iberia. It seems that Iberia just ignore emails, customer 'service' from them is terrible. I think that the next stage may be to start a court action against Iberia for failing to provide hotel, food and transport for the duration of the delay, and also a claim for compensation for the downgrade to a budget airline.

Views appreciated !

thanks.

Mar 17, 2015
While not due compensation under EU261, can you cancel for a full refund since the flight was moved more than just a few hours? If you can, you should be far enough out to still find decent fares.

Apr 10, 2017
While not due compensation under EU261, can you cancel for a full refund since the flight was moved more than just a few hours? If you can, you should be far enough out to still find decent fares.
Air France does offer 2 nonstop flights (both directions) between PTP and Orly on Saturdays in those months. I don't know your exact travel dates or how much more it would cost but it's worth considering.

Jul 2, 2018
Thanks for your reply. I saw that I am not entitled to compensation under EU 261/2004 because more than 2 weeks notice had been given, but the airline still has an obligation under 261/2004 to provide hotel, transport & food for the 24 delay. But it is difficult because Iberia are not replying to emails, even the senior contacts have ignored my recent emails.

I would have thought that a reputable airline would have done things to help passengers. It was Iberia who cancelled my flight, and it was Iberia who rebooked me onto a budget airline (Level) both ways. But it seems that once Iberia has got your money, then that is the end of things. I am not sure if court action or disputing the credit card charge is the best way to go now. I expected better from Iberia, but I made a mistake booking with them.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
A reputable airline might have. This is why I try my hardest to use a US airline whenever possible.

With foreign airlines there actually does need t be some kind of protection for consumers because they don’t do business like we do here. The airlines call strikes in a whim - Air France and Alitalia call strikes at the drop of a hat.

I try to use US airlines as much as possible even if it costs more.

Sep 19, 2015
Thanks for your reply. I saw that I am not entitled to compensation under EU 261/2004 because more than 2 weeks notice had been given, but the airline still has an obligation under 261/2004 to provide hotel, transport & food for the 24 delay. But it is difficult because Iberia are not replying to emails, even the senior contacts have ignored my recent emails.

I would have thought that a reputable airline would have done things to help passengers. It was Iberia who cancelled my flight, and it was Iberia who rebooked me onto a budget airline (Level) both ways. But it seems that once Iberia has got your money, then that is the end of things. I am not sure if court action or disputing the credit card charge is the best way to go now. I expected better from Iberia, but I made a mistake booking with them.
Honestly I would cancel the entire flight and get away from Iberia. Iberia continues to deterioriate and they are scaling it down as they try to compete with Norwegian. Iberia and British have the same parent company but I do not think BA serves that route. They are likely not going to put you on Air France as it costs more.

So is it worth it to fight for a 20 euro dinner voucher and breakfast voucher and a night in an Ibis hotel (if you are lucky) to be put on the lower amenity Level airline? Level is part of the same group as Iberia. The Iberia flight must not have been profitable enough.

And before screaming about Iberia being concerned only about profits— they are competing against the Ryanair and Norwegian airlines of the world — and how can these airlines be so cheap — for one thing, they base a lot of crew out of Thailand and pay Thai wages — or they base the crews in the US but the contracts are still out of the Far East. Or they have subcontracting agencies that supply the pilots.

Today I booked a flight from London to Rome — my choices for non stop were from Stanstead Ryanair, Gatwick Easyjet, Heathrow BA or Alitalia.

Ryanair I refuse (did it once and never again), Easyjet not interested, BA no because they charge for a cup of coffee (even if it is an expensive Y ticket, like my past same day r/t domestic UK flight) and Alitalia no because of bankruptcy.

I chose to take an airline that is in my mind better but it involves a change. But I am voting with my wallet.

I would run from Iberia the customer service is not good and it is getting worse.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Christina is right, a cheap hotel and small meal voucher aren't worth dealing with an airline that doesn't care about you. Cancel and rebook with a real airline. Life is short!

While it's on my mind, is there a service (like TripAdvisor for hotels or SeatGuru for seats) that would let an infrequent traveller know which airlines to avoid booking?

Jul 2, 2018
Thanks for your replies. Still no further reply from Iberia, it was a big mistake to book with them. It is sadly not so easy with the alternatives...really only comes down to Air France (more expensive and apparently also poor service now, as well as 10-across seating, which I avoid like the plague). I have a feeling that the only way forward now is to take Iberia to court over the matter (for a breach of EU 261/2004). They are liable for hotel, taxi and meal costs during the delay, but are just avoiding their responsibility.

There is a good lesson for the future, avoid Iberia Airlines. I certainly will !

Sep 19, 2015
Also one thing to consider— as the trip is not until October the airline may not want to address this so early in case their is another schedule change — it really might be too early.

I do not think you should even consider taking this to court so early - it is premature.

Jul 2, 2018
Good point, never thought that there might be yet another change. Very unhappy though that they have changed me onto a budget airline, and also did not offer to still provide meals on the budget airline. And the fact that they ignore my emails just makes me more unhappy. But I will hold off on court action for a time, although court things take so much time to get completed. I have learned my lesson though from my experience with Iberia. Thanks for the point about the possibility of more schedule changes.

Jul 16, 2018
My first experience with Iberian was this past weekend and I will never fly them again. Reading this thread told me I'm not alone with my dissatisfaction. Our travel (Seville to Portland, OR) was to begin on TAP on Saturday morning at 7:00 am. We had checked in on line and had our boarding passes. At 8:12 PM Friday evening (less than 12 hours before departure) an email arrived stating our flights had been changed and we now had totally different flights on Iberian and United for Sunday. Since we were in Spain, I attempted to call their customer service number requesting an English speaking rep and after a few transfers and no English rep, I was given Iberian's US customer service number and they hung up. At the Seville airport on Sunday I attempted to seek reimbursement for the many costs incurred and was given a form to complete. Will I get a response? It's clear they do not empower their employees with information. Not one person could answer why our flights were canceled nor had the ability to at least reimburse me for meals and hotel. On arrival to the US through ORD, we missed our connection due to the Iberian flight running late out of Madrid. There was no help to reschedule the connecting flights and I incurred enormous expenses to get us home. I am deeply appreciative of American and United for trying to help us. They tracked down the one Iberian person working out of ORD who was suppose to arrive at the airport in 2 hours. This was no help nor was the Iberian 800 number as both the American customer service person and myself were unable to get a live person on the phone. I have never experienced such ineptness and frustration. It's now Monday and I will finally get home this afternoon. I'm interested in any and all comments on dealing with Iberian on this situation. In the form I completed I did ask for compensation under EU 261/2004 since it was less than 7 days that the flight cancellation occurred, we arrived to our destination more than 4 hours later than we originally had intended and the distance from Sevile to PDX is greater than 3,500 km. Will I get it? What if I don't?

Jul 2, 2018
Customers can forgive a lot IF they see that a company is trying, but in the case of Iberia, it seems that once they have your money then they just do not care. They certainly do not seem to care about repeat business, as I cannot see many passengers returning to Iberia when so many people have such bad experiences with them.

I can forsee that this one is going to end up in court......although I am waiting for now given the advice received above. In my case, the return flight has been cancelled, but even though compensation is not payable under EU 261/2004 (because more than 2 weeks was given) then Iberia still HAVE to provide hotel, transport, food and assistance. No way out of that for them. So although their customer 'service' staff and executives may choose to ignore emails now, when the summons arrives from the court then they will not have that option. Sometimes I just give up, other times I stand and fight. This is one case where I am going to stand and fight, due to the lack of replies from Iberia. And I am going to fight hard for this one too.....all the way through the courts.