Iberia Airlines and Gate Assignment for Flights

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 22, 2019
On August 12, 2019 I was traveling from Chicago to Morocco with a flight change in Madrid. I arrived in Madrid around 6:00 am with a connecting flight leaving Madrid at 11:35 am. I received my boarding pass in Chicago for both flights. When I arrived in Madrid I questioned at least four employees inquiring about the destination of my gate for my flight. The only response I received I don't know, or check the monitor. I checked the monitor several times and didn’t see my flight. I settle into a gate area that I thought, according to my boarding pass was the correct gate. Finally I knew, the flight should be boarding so I asked a gate attendant and was given the same response (I don’t know, check the monitor). I checked the monitor and I was in the wrong wing of the terminal for my departure gate. I ran to the gate and arrived ten minutes before the flight was due to leave and was told I could not board the plane because there wasn't a bus to take me to the plane. As a result I had to spend the night in Madrid (only one flight a day) until the next morning and I had to buy a whole new ticket. I wasn't given any credit for my ticket and the agent at the gate had the nerve to write on my boarding pass "no show". The next day when I check in at the departure area and explained the situation I was told I had to check the monitor until my flight is listed with the gate number. No one explained that to me the day before. Finally I got a boarding gate fifteen minutes before boarding began which gave me just enough time to get to the gate.

I have pictures of the monitor with the time the gate was posted on the following day. What I noticed, people were gathered around the monitors waiting for the posting of their gate. As a foreign traveler I had no way of knowing that, it is a wait and see for departure gates. I was in the airport for five hours, I had more than enough time to get to the appropriate gate if I had I known what to do. In additional I had a bad knee trying to run through the airport.

This ticket was sold as American Airlines 8651

I am looking for a refund of the new ticket I had to purchase, cost of hotel, transportation and meals for the inconvenience which came to $392.92 USD for the cost of missing my flight.

Jan 30, 2018
Not sure this is the case at foreign airports, but here a gate attendant shows up an hour before flight departure. If this did not happen, it could have been a clue. Helped me once when I thought I was at the right gate, but when the area remained curiously empty, I checked the monitor and had to hurry to the right gate.

Mar 6, 2019
Not posting gate numbers until an hour before departure is standard practice in my airports in Europe. Not surprised that the gate agents told you to check the monitors, because this is their standard practice.

Sep 19, 2015
Usually the gates are posted 60-90 minutes before a flight — especially for bus gates. If one looks 4 hours before departure the flight may not be listed.

I am sorry but you have no recourse— saying as a foreigner how am I supposed to know...millions of people pass through the airport each year many of them foreigners.

It is similar to a train station where people stand and watch the board and wait for the posting of departure.

I doubt that Iberia will do anything as technically it was a no show situation— they are not going to reimburse you and you may have take this as a lesson learned.

May 1, 2018
I am sorry this happened to you. However, I don't think the airline will take responsibility for this. They don't operate the airport so they have no control over when or how gates are assigned to incoming aircraft or how those assignments are communicated to passengers. Unfortunately for you, the responsibility of getting to the gate on time is fully on the passenger.

Since you indicated mobility issues impacted your ability to get to your gate on time, it's worth knowing that you can request wheelchair assistance. In which case the wheelchair assistant is then responsible for getting you to your gate on time.

Sep 27, 2018
Usually the gates are posted 60-90 minutes before a flight — especially for bus gates. If one looks 4 hours before departure the flight may not be listed.

I am sorry but you have no recourse— saying as a foreigner how am I supposed to know...millions of people pass through the airport each year many of them foreigners.

It is similar to a train station where people stand and watch the board and wait for the posting of departure.

I doubt that Iberia will do anything as technically it was a no show situation— they are not going to reimburse you and you may have take this as a lesson learned.
This happened to us yesterday at a US airport, we had arrived early and the gate was changed an hour before departure with no announcement and no visible reason since the airport was not heavily used.

Oct 22, 2019
A 60-90 minute notice would of been nice however when I did my new flight and I stood at the monitor it was actually posted 15 minutes before boarding began. Not enough time!

Feb 3, 2019
I had a similar experience at MIA one time. Layover of a few hours, sat at the correct gate well in advance, etc. I eventually realized it was about the time my flight should have been boarding, but there was still hardly anyone else in the gate area. And then I noticed the flight on the board was to an entirely different destination. At some point during the hours I had been sitting there, the gate for my flight had changed, and I simply hadn't heard any announcements. I rushed to the new gate to find that although the flight hadn't pushed back yet, boarding had already closed, and nobody was even at the desk anymore. At least in my case, there was another flight several hours later, so I just took my lumps and paid for lounge access in the interim.

I lost almost an entire day of my vacation, because I didn't arrive at my destination until late that night. What stung the most is that it was entirely my fault. I admitted my responsibility readily while making my new arrangements, which ended up working to my advantage - the AA agents very graciously assigned me an exit row seat on my rebooked flight, even though I had technically lost the premium seat privilege I had paid for on my original flight. And while I still paid full price for the Admirals Club day pass, the agent there threw in a few premium drink coupons.

And yes, I now have push notifications enabled in the AA app, and recheck my gate assignment almost obsessively right up until they start boarding!

Jan 11, 2019
Last year we flew Iberia JFK to Dubrovnik changing through Madrid. We, and we found out later others, found Madrid Airport the most disorganized airport ever encountered. We almost missed our connecting flight due to inconsistent information, confusing directions, poor signage and unanticipated security checks. Just a warning to all!