I used $1700 Amazon gift card balance to buy another website gift card. Can I still get back that money?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 8, 2019
I got $1500 Amazon gift card from Delta due to an oversold ticket issue recently. On Aug. 3 I found a computer on Best Buy that I want to buy so I bought $1700 Best Buy gift card from Amazon using that balance. But a few hours later I received an email saying that order was canceled and my money was voided. I didn't have a clue I violated the terms and conditions. I called Amazon customer service many times and those agents have no clue about what's really going on and I can't get any useful response. It's not a small amount of money. I could use this for months. But now it's gone. I'm sad and angry. Really want to find some help here.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm sorry that such a large amount of money has disappeared. From what I've picked up on all the posts on this topic over the years, you need to use an Amazon gift card to buy something from Amazon ... and even then it's not always a seamless transaction. I just received a gift card from Hilton Honors, my very first one. You can bet that I will use it only at a Hilton property, nowhere else. Gift cards seem to be fraught with fraud and Amazon is clamping down on everyone ... the bad guys and the good guys as well. It's just not worth it to try and use a gift card somewhere else. Wish we had some advice for you.

Aug 8, 2019
We can't advise you because Amazon doesn't talk to us but it is against policy to use a gift card to buy another gift card. We have a thread on Amazon gift cards and I'm afraid there isn't any more information we can offer about these situations. Only Amazon can answer that.

Please read this thread we have on the Amazon board:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/sticky-amazon-gift-card-issues-for-self-advocacy-only.10317/
What should I do now? I read some similar problems and I'm going to write an email. What d
I'm sorry that such a large amount of money has disappeared. From what I've picked up on all the posts on this topic over the years, you need to use an Amazon gift card to buy something from Amazon ... and even then it's not always a seamless transaction. I just received a gift card from Hilton Honors, my very first one. You can bet that I will use it only at a Hilton property, nowhere else. Gift cards seem to be fraught with fraud and Amazon is clamping down on everyone ... the bad guys and the good guys as well. It's just not worth it to try and use a gift card somewhere else. Wish we had some advice for you.
We can't advise you because Amazon doesn't talk to us but it is against policy to use a gift card to buy another gift card. We have a thread on Amazon gift cards and I'm afraid there isn't any more information we can offer about these situations. Only Amazon can answer that.

Please read this thread we have on the Amazon board:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/sticky-amazon-gift-card-issues-for-self-advocacy-only.10317/
What else can I do other than writing an email to the contact in the page?

Aug 8, 2019
You are right. But getting a $1700 punishment by not carefully reading the long terms and condition page is a nightmare. I can't quit thinking of it while working.

Sep 27, 2017
This is Amazon unjustly enriching themselves. If it is against the rules to purchase another store's gift card with an Amazon gift card, this could so easily have been halted at checkout before the transaction is completed.On many sites over the years, I've run into situations where my orders couldn't have been completed for one reason or another. Please don't tell me that Amazon doesn't have the technology to do this.

Jul 30, 2018
You can also take Amazon to binding arbitration or small claims court. Read the Disputes section of the gift card terms and conditions.
Unfortunately, one of the terms and conditions of Amazon accounts is that customer agrees to binding arbitration as the only legal remedy to solve a dispute; no lawsuits. You can find the instructions for initiating arbitration on their site. There is a fee involved with the request for arbitration but it is refunded if the matter is found in your favor.

Aug 8, 2019
This is Amazon unjustly enriching themselves. If it is against the rules to purchase another store's gift card with an Amazon gift card, this could so easily have been halted at checkout before the transaction is completed.On many sites over the years, I've run into situations where my orders couldn't have been completed for one reason or another. Please don't tell me that Amazon doesn't have the technology to do this.
I can't agree more. For two reasons I think it's not all my fault. Firstly they didn't stop me from using gift card to buy it like other items like Visa gift card or Mastercard gift card at checkout. Secondly I've bought more than $1000 other websites gift card including Blizzard, Riot and PS4 and they were all safe. And when the number comes to this big, suddenly I'm punished and took all my money and refused to have a single useful person to help me out.

Aug 8, 2019
Unfortunately, one of the terms and conditions of Amazon accounts is that customer agrees to binding arbitration as the only legal remedy to solve a dispute; no lawsuits. You can find the instructions for initiating arbitration on their site. There is a fee involved with the request for arbitration but it is refunded if the matter is found in your favor.
Thanks, I'll surely look into that.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I can't agree more. For two reasons I think it's not all my fault. Firstly they didn't stop me from using gift card to buy it like other items like Visa gift card or Mastercard gift card at checkout. Secondly I've bought more than $1000 other websites gift card including Blizzard, Riot and PS4 and they were all safe. And when the number comes to this big, suddenly I'm punished and took all my money and refused to have a single useful person to help me out.
Did you buy those in Amazon? Amazon is having bigger problems with scammers than any of those smaller sites and their TOS forbid it.

Mar 14, 2018
Unfortunately, one of the terms and conditions of Amazon accounts is that customer agrees to binding arbitration as the only legal remedy to solve a dispute; no lawsuits.
Not true. Small claims court is also an option per the agreement:

"Any dispute or claim relating in any way to Gift Cards or your Amazon.com Balance will be resolved by binding arbitration, rather than in court, except that you may assert claims in small claims court if your claims qualify."​

Dec 17, 2018
Seriously... just don't allow the transaction to go through. It's not that hard. It's almost a pattern and practice at this point, and IMO, it's stealing money. If they just don't allow it to go through, that would stop the fraud just as well, right? They need to give the money back. I'd actually consider small claims if they won't. It's too much money to just let this go, and honestly, violating terms and conditions doesn't justify them just keeping the money. It's not theirs - it belonged to OP. I just don't see Amazon retaining the money a good business practice, and it honestly is just shady as hell.

Mar 23, 2015
Arrggghhh these cases make me SO angry!! I'm a frequent Amazon shopper--like I know all the delivery people in our area cuz they're dropping off PRIME boxes, daily, but this is unconscionable! If it's an Amazon gift card, and the item purchased is OFFERED on Amazon, with no * saying "Amazon gift cards may not be used for this purchase" WITHOUT having to go to a page of Ts and Cs, then it should be treated as a legitimate purchase unless PROVEN otherwise. How did Amazon get to be above the law? "NOT GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN" and yet all they do is make an assumption of guilt or worse, just the POSSIBILITY and they take peoples' hard earned money?? Shame on Amazon. I hope you do take them to court or arbitration and I hope they are severely penalized!! Good Luck!

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
I think some clarification is in order . . .

You said: "I got a $1500 Amazon gift card from Delta" and then "I bought a $1700 Best Buy gift card from Amazon using that balance"

Three things:
Did you really buy a (one) Best Buy card from Amazon? When I search Amazon I can only buy a $200 card.
How do you buy a $1700 card using a gift card that was only $1500?
If you indeed bought the Best Buy card(s) from Amazon, that is a legal transaction and must be honored by them.

Jul 30, 2018
Not true. Small claims court is also an option per the agreement:

"Any dispute or claim relating in any way to Gift Cards or your Amazon.com Balance will be resolved by binding arbitration, rather than in court, except that you may assert claims in small claims court if your claims qualify."​
I stand corrected! My account dates back two decades which was the last time I perused the illustrious T and C! I'm not the sort to read the "update to terms and conditions" I regularly receive in my email and post mailbox.

Notably, acquiring a judgement in your favor in S/C Court is only half the battle; collecting on it could be the harder task.

Jul 30, 2018
Seriously... just don't allow the transaction to go through. It's not that hard. It's almost a pattern and practice at this point, and IMO, it's stealing money. If they just don't allow it to go through, that would stop the fraud just as well, right? They need to give the money back. I'd actually consider small claims if they won't. It's too much money to just let this go, and honestly, violating terms and conditions doesn't justify them just keeping the money. It's not theirs - it belonged to OP. I just don't see Amazon retaining the money a good business practice, and it honestly is just shady as hell.
I'm with you, Shannon. IMHO it's wrong to retain a gift card balance after an account is closed. I can understand closing an account for T&C violations, but they shouldn't keep someone's money.