I think I should get a refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2018
My family and I went to turks and caicos between nov 28 and dec 6 except for my one daughter who had to go back to work one day early. I paid for this vacation thru expedia and made 2 payments. one for my wife and I and one for my daughters. They flew from Philly and Nyc and booked their own flights. We stayed at the Alexandra Resort all inclusive. This trip was a little hard to put together as my one daughter has to go back to New York one day earlier that the three of us. I believe I should get a one dayr refund since I paid for her 7 days and she only used six. Expedia tried to help but were rebuffed by the resort.....Thoughts

Apr 10, 2017
What type of accommodations did you book for all of you? Are you seeking a refund for your daughter's meals/drinks for the one day she wasn't there? Did her plans change after you had already booked and paid for the total package or was she booked for 6 days from the beginning?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You can’t do mixed stays when you book a package. The pricing you received was for XX number of people for XX number of days. It can’t be broken up by one person staying one day less. The room rate is lower for two or more people in a room. Those people would have paid a higher rate with one less person in the room the last day.

Apr 10, 2017
I don't know what the exact terms were of your purchase but a mock booking for January shows that early departures will be charged at 100%.

Sep 19, 2015
I am not understanding — what do you want a refund for? Food was ordered based on the amount of people booked and it is expensive as so much has to be shipped in.

A change was made on the day of arrival. Did you speak with a manager?

The policy is that no shows and early departures get charged 100 percent.

You are not entitled to a refund. There is no last minute prorating of the package.

Sep 19, 2015
Mine was not. The hotel benefited when my daughter left early.
How do you know that fresh food did not spoil, that the hotel “profited” as they ordered and staffed the place based on head count?

And why is this the hotel’s problem and why should they have to lose money? They like money just as much as you do.

Dec 11, 2018
Spoke to a manager.....just shook her head. there were 2 separate bookings. one for my wife and I and then my 2 daughters who stayed in the second bedroom.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Mine was not. The hotel benefited when my daughter left early.
They have a cancellation fee for early departures. So you would owe even more money if you tell them she left early.

Again- however many people were in your daughters room, the rate you paid is based on that number of people for x number of days. The last day or the stay would cost MORE by taking one person off the room. There is a single supplement for your one daughter remaining in the room the extra day by herself.

You aren’t due a refund - it would cost you more to reduce the number of people in the room by one day especially if they charged an early departure fee.

Sep 19, 2015
What country do you live in? There were 2 people in my daughters room..my other daughter and she.
All this does not matter. Bottom line is you agreed to pay X amount for Y number of people for Z days.
And there are no early departure refunds.

It is a shame your daughter had to leave early, but you had a good amount of time together. But your daughter’s misfortune with changing last minute is not the hotel’s problem,

Dec 11, 2018
They through out so much food per day. The hotel would not lose money because they didn't have to services for day. Think about this You overpay a credit card bill by 200 dollars and they won't give it back

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They through out so much food per day. The hotel would not lose money because they didn't have to services for day. Think about this You overpay a credit card bill by 200 dollars and they won't give it back
It doesn’t matter- you entered into a contract and you cannot change the contract at the last minute.

Do you want them to charge you for your daughter leaving early and breaking the contract? That’s what they can do for her leaving early.

Take it as a lesson learned - if you have a mixed stay you need to book each person separately.

Dec 11, 2018
The girls were booked together. Anyway my final word. Lets say you overpaid your credit card company by 200 dollars and they refused to give you a refund.

Jul 13, 2016
The girls were booked together. Anyway my final word. Lets say you overpaid your credit card company by 200 dollars and they refused to give you a refund.
That analogy is flawed. The credit card is not a tangible item. You booked a 2 bed suite, correct? Both bedrooms were used for 7 days, correct? The hotel could not sell the second bedroom to anyone else, correct? Now you are asking for a refund of the food and drink your daughter did not consume? How would the hotel determine what she did not consume? How would they put a monetary value of the non consumed amount?
You don't have a case for a refund. The terms are clear; early departures pay 100%.

Dec 19, 2014
You've obviously made up your mind that your interpretation is right, whereas others, including myself, are telling you your logic is flawed.

If your daughter could only stay 6 days, then why did you book for 7?
Just like a vacation rental, resorts often offer special pricing for 7 day stays. These prices are often less expensive than if you had booked a daily rate X 7 nights. When you break a package into a la carte components, its not as simple as removing "1 night." You can opt to decline part of a package, but the travel provider is not obliged to refund you.

At the end of the day, whether you are obliged to a refund for the unused night is dictated by the terms of service that you agreed upon when you booked the "package." If the terms of service say early departures pay 100% then case closed. You aren't entitled to a refund.

Dec 11, 2018
I don't think my analogy for over-paying a credit card is flawed. You are paying for good and services. I paid for 7 days because I didn't know a t the time she had to go back to NYC one day early. Some one said lesson learned...you are correct I booking our Japan trip next year with someone else...

Status
Not open for further replies.