I recently cancelled a flight on Emirates Airlines which was booked at a reduced restricted fare in first class. The cancellation fee was $800.00. D

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Not a good example. If you purchase a time-share, you still own it whether you want to or not. You could also re-sell it or permit someone to use it. Not so with an airline seat. Airlines will not permit a name change.
I am pointing out that there are many other instances where there are big fees for
canceling.

Why did you cancel? Did you buy Travel insurance that would repay you if you canceled for a covered reason?

If not, the only advice we can give you is to use our company contacts and write to Emirates and beg them for an exception to the rule. Our company contacts tab tells you exactly how to write, starting at Customer Service and moving up.

Good luck and let us know if it helps.

Jan 22, 2016
My fare was $7,000 with the restrictions. Unrestricted fare is $12,000 to $20,000. FYI - I was scheduled to visit Capetown. SA but they are running out of water and there would be no water during the time I was scheduled to visit.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When were you flying? The water situation has been pushed back to July 15.

That’s not a legit reason to cancel
BUT- if it were me, I would absolutely use that reason as a reason to ask for an exception to the cancellation fee. Unfortunately- you still have to contact Cheapo and ask THEM to go to Emirates and ask for the refund- had you booked directly, you could have gone directly to them.

Give it a shot writing to Cheapo asking for a refund. Explain the water situation- the worst they can say is no. The best is they can do something for you.

The only issue you might have is that the water situation existed in January when you bought your ticket. But definitely ask- your letter might end up with the right executive who might be able to push Emirates.

Sep 19, 2015
My fare was $7,000 with the restrictions. Unrestricted fare is $12,000 to $20,000. FYI - I was scheduled to visit Capetown. SA but they are running out of water and there would be no water during the time I was scheduled to visit.
When were the tickets booked? The lack of water issue has been known since 2017; the date was moved from April to later because of savings in the agricultural area.

So the unrestricted fare was over $5,000 more; it likely would have cost more than $800 to get cancel for any reason insurance and that often only pays out at 70 percent.

Many gyms in my area charge a fee if someone cancels a class less than 24 hours prior and a larger fee for no shows; these gyms also take wait lists for classes.

This is the business model nowadays. Am I wild about it? No. But the Emirates web site is pretty clear about it.

I do not see any lawsuit being successful. Lawyers would not take it on contingency as the fees are disclosed and there are other airlines to chose from. If someone wants to fund the lawsuit they could but for what end?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
When were you flying? The water situation has been pushed back to July 15.

That’s not a legit reason to cancel
BUT- if it were me, I would absolutely use that reason as a reason to ask for an exception to the cancellation fee. Unfortunately- you still have to contact Cheapo and ask THEM to go to Emirates and ask for the refund- had you booked directly, you could have gone directly to them.

Give it a shot writing to Cheapo asking for a refund. Explain the water situation- the worst they can say is no. The best is they can do something for you.

Neil I believe the traveler bought from Emirates directly

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I apologize- write to Emirates.

It’s a long shot but the worst they can say is no. But as Christina said, the problem was there when you booked the ticket so I don’t know this will work but you have nothing my to lose by writing.

Jan 22, 2016
When were the tickets booked? The lack of water issue has been known since 2017; the date was moved from April to later because of savings in the agricultural area.

So the unrestricted fare was over $5,000 more; it likely would have cost more than $800 to get cancel for any reason insurance and that often only pays out at 70 percent.

Many gyms in my area charge a fee if someone cancels a class less than 24 hours prior and a larger fee for no shows; these gyms also take wait lists for classes.

This is the business model nowadays. Am I wild about it? No. But the Emirates web site is pretty clear about it.

I do not see any lawsuit being successful. Lawyers would not take it on contingency as the fees are disclosed and there are other airlines to chose from. If someone wants to fund the lawsuit they could but for what end?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The airline lobby is too powerful. That will never happen. Consumer groups are trying to get the DOT to require them to disclose all fees upfront and the airlines are fighting THAT.

Write to your Congressional Representatives.

Sep 19, 2015
I think it is time for more federal regulations. All airlines (except Southwest) charge punitive fees for ANY changes - ridiculous and unreasonable.
In all honesty I do not see that happening any time soon. Regulations on airline fees have been proposed in the past — most recently 2016 — and they have not gone anywhere. There is a less regulation philosophy in government now so I am pessimistic that any such regulation would pass.
I think there should be caps on fees but realistically I am not counting on it