I paid full price but can't select a seat until 23 hours before check in?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Problem resolved. Thank you all for your suggestions and encouragement. Today I was finally able to pay extra for the privilege of seat selection. Unfortunately it not only cost $408 but also some pride. I had spoken to three different United agents and three different Lufthansa agents over the past week trying to get someone to let me pay more so I could select a seat. Today my husband made the phone call and his request was granted. We are now seated together on our flight to Italy and I'm relieved. But I can't help being miffed that United said "OK" when a man asked, once, but not when I ( a woman) asked three times. I will try very hard to believe that this was just luck on my husband's part and not some kind of weird gender bias on the part of United.
I'm happy to hear that you were successful. For $408 that seat should be gold plated. I doubt that UA has any kind of global bias for gender; I think your husband got lucky with the agent who answered his call. I always laugh when my husband is treated like a King by flight attendants and lounge personnel (of both genders) and I have to ask for what I want. I'm the one who makes all the arrangements, I'm the one with the status, the loyalty memberships ... but I'm a girl, so I'm often treated as his cute little companion. Perhaps when several more generations roll through life, this (I'm sure it's unconscious) bias will disappear. There are far more important things in life to be concerned about than casual bias.

May 26, 2018
Emily, when you book your flights, you can see that it’s a code share with another airline (or on a subsidiary) by looking beneath the United flight number. It will say “Operated by ... ). Also code share flight numbers are distinct from flights operated by the airline itself. Check the airline’s numbering system and you can - in my experience - instantly discern a code share flight.

Mar 23, 2015
$408? Did they cancel the reservation and make a new one? Did they make you pay for seat upgrades for both of you? That seems a lot of money ... I love my hubby like crazy but it's not worth $400 to me just to sit next to him... :) Have a great trip!

May 26, 2018
Problem resolved. Thank you all for your suggestions and encouragement. Today I was finally able to pay extra for the privilege of seat selection. Unfortunately it not only cost $408 but also some pride. I had spoken to three different United agents and three different Lufthansa agents over the past week trying to get someone to let me pay more so I could select a seat. Today my husband made the phone call and his request was granted. We are now seated together on our flight to Italy and I'm relieved. But I can't help being miffed that United said "OK" when a man asked, once, but not when I ( a woman) asked three times. I will try very hard to believe that this was just luck on my husband's part and not some kind of weird gender bias on the part of United.
That's a hefty price to pay for adjoining seats! I paid $25 per seat each way on Qantas DFW-SYD-DFW.

Mar 23, 2015
That's a hefty price to pay for adjoining seats! I paid $25 per seat each way on Qantas DFW-SYD-DFW.
That's what I thought! That's why I asked if they somehow got cancelled and rebooked. On average when I pay for a seat, and I often do, it's between $25 and $70 for a reserved seat.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sep 19, 2015
Here are Lufthansa’s fees:

https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/seat-reservation-economy-class

This sounds more like perhaps she upgraded to premium economy for what she paid. If it was for plain old economy she needs to ask for a refund.
She said she wanted to reserve a seat with more leg room so may be bulkhead or exit row — basically not the normal economy seats — a preferred seat.

I do not think this is charges for premium economy that is a different class and she would not be near her husband on a mileage ticket with that.

Ugh it is so complicated