I need help! (first timer)

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 4, 2016
We booked our Alaska land and sea cruise leaving July 15 2016 on the Radiance of the Seas and airfare from the Royal Caribbean Air2sea website which was guaranteed to get you from the flight to the cruise. There is no other fine print about any exclusions —if you make it to the plane they guarantee your trip. Unfortunately on July 15 our plane was delayed due to weather and therefore missed our connecting flight from Phoenix to Vancouver. We contacted the air2sea emergency line first, but they told us there was no way to get us to our ship on time (due to the Jones ‘Act )and informed us that our entire trip was cancelled. We originally had booked an earlier flight on the Air2sea website in March but that was changed in May by Air2 sea to a later flight which was the flight that did not make the connection ,and I did confirm with American Airlines that the flight from Dallas that we were originally scheduled to be on did in fact take place and did arrive on time. My wife contacted several representatives with both Air2 sea and Royal Caribbean on July 15 and eventually spoke to a customer service agent named Jacob who stated that he could refund the taxes and port charges immediately (that was $815.92 credit) but the remainder could only be credited to another Royal Caribbean or Celebrity Cruise (who is owned by Royal Caribbean) We were able to book another Alaska cruise on celebrity that left on July 18 for 1 week (our original cruise was 12 days) and we did inform Jacob of this trip and its reservation number and he said that we would receive this credit within the next few days. Since that time my wife called Royal Caribbean customer service on August 5 but was told that only Jacob could resolve this issue and that he was busy so the other agent left him a message to call us back. I called again on August 11th and was told again that only Jacob could resolve our issue and again he was busy so they left another message with him to call me back which as of this date has not occurred. I was credited with an addition amount of $5032 for the celebrity cruise at the end of August , however, we still have not received credit for the remaining $1352 (the difference in price between the 1st and 2nd cruise). Other expenses were occurred as we had an additional 4 nights of hotel bills and food expenses as well as increased airfare to fly out of a different city. Total cost of these extras was another $2000 that we would not have had had be made it on the original cruise. I was just informed by my credit card company that I lost my dispute with Royal Caribbean which is why it took me so long to write this. I need help!
here is a copy of royal Caribbean's response to my letter
Dear Dr. Bailey,

Thank you for contacting the executive offices of Royal Caribbean International. We received your correspondence to Mr. Leyva and I am pleased to respond on his behalf and the other executives In copy.

I am sorry to learn of the flight delay resulting in missed connection from Phoenix to Vancouver, and subsequently the cruise planned as our Emergency travel team was unable to get you to the ship in time due to lack of flight availability at the time and the Jones Act. Our Customer Service agent Jacob who spoke with your wife made an exception to have the cruise fare penalty reapplied as a cruise credit to your rebooked cruise, advised her the taxes and shore excursions would be automatically refunded but no further reimbursements were being offered

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Oh, what a nightmare, John. It makes my blood boil that cruise lines' air departments book passengers to arrive the day the cruise departs. As you see, this is a TERRIBLE idea. We always recommend flying in at least one day ahead before your cruise. I'm so sorry this happened to you. A couple of my colleagues are whizzes at all things cruising, so they will be along to advise you exactly how to proceed. Rest assured, you can get this straightened out.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here are our contacts for Royal Caribbean:

http://elliott.org/company-contacts/royal-caribbean/

Start with Customer Service. Give them a week to reply. If they don't or can't help, write to the first executive shown. Give him/her a week to reply. Repeat weekly if necessary continuing to go up the chain.

As jsn said, in the future, never fly in the same day of a cruise, always fly in a day or 2 before to avoid something like this happening.

Let us know what happens after you write.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
I'm shocked at Royal Caribbean's bringing you in the day of sailing ... my colleagues are correct that flying in at least the day before is the most prudent thing to do.

I would say please retire your phone and move to written communication with RCCL, as Neil mentioned above. This provides a record for future reference, and facts are then stated clearly by both sides.

Am I correct that you booked the cruise AND air directly from Royal Caribbean? I ask because if you booked with a travel agent they would be able to serve as an intermediary to get resolution.

Don't give up. You are owed the $1352. As far as the hotel and other extra costs, RCCL will probably be reluctant to reimburse you. If that's the case, try for another credit against a future cruise.

Let us know what happens....

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I'm shocked at Royal Caribbean's bringing you in the day of sailing ... my colleagues are correct that flying in at least the day before is the most prudent thing to do.

I would say please retire your phone and move to written communication with RCCL, as Neil mentioned above. This provides a record for future reference, and facts are then stated clearly by both sides.

Am I correct that you booked the cruise AND air directly from Royal Caribbean? I ask because if you booked with a travel agent they would be able to serve as an intermediary to get resolution.

Don't give up. You are owed the $1352. As far as the hotel and other extra costs, RCCL will probably be reluctant to reimburse you. If that's the case, try for another credit against a future cruise.

Let us know what happens....
It isn't Royal forcing this - the traveler has to make the decision to fly in a day before and tell Royal. They can give them flights the day before or even two days before. The client has to request it, and their travel agent should warn them to fly in at least a day early.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
John, keep your letter concise, polite and organized, leaving out all emotion or extraneous information. Just state the facts and ask for what you want as compensation. You want the person reading your letter to grasp the situation immediately and route your request to the proper department. This person did not cause your problem, so sometimes a little teeth-gritting is called for as you compose your communication ... you want him to help you.

Oct 4, 2016
We booked our Alaska land and sea cruise leaving July 15 2016 on the Radiance of the Seas and airfare from the Royal Caribbean Air2sea website which was guaranteed to get you from the flight to the cruise. There is no other fine print about any exclusions —if you make it to the plane they guarantee your trip. Unfortunately on July 15 our plane was delayed due to weather and therefore missed our connecting flight from Phoenix to Vancouver. We contacted the air2sea emergency line first, but they told us there was no way to get us to our ship on time (due to the Jones ‘Act )and informed us that our entire trip was cancelled. We originally had booked an earlier flight on the Air2sea website in March but that was changed in May by Air2 sea to a later flight which was the flight that did not make the connection ,and I did confirm with American Airlines that the flight from Dallas that we were originally scheduled to be on did in fact take place and did arrive on time. My wife contacted several representatives with both Air2 sea and Royal Caribbean on July 15 and eventually spoke to a customer service agent named Jacob who stated that he could refund the taxes and port charges immediately (that was $815.92 credit) but the remainder could only be credited to another Royal Caribbean or Celebrity Cruise (who is owned by Royal Caribbean) We were able to book another Alaska cruise on celebrity that left on July 18 for 1 week (our original cruise was 12 days) and we did inform Jacob of this trip and its reservation number and he said that we would receive this credit within the next few days. Since that time my wife called Royal Caribbean customer service on August 5 but was told that only Jacob could resolve this issue and that he was busy so the other agent left him a message to call us back. I called again on August 11th and was told again that only Jacob could resolve our issue and again he was busy so they left another message with him to call me back which as of this date has not occurred. I was credited with an addition amount of $5032 for the celebrity cruise at the end of August , however, we still have not received credit for the remaining $1352 (the difference in price between the 1st and 2nd cruise). Other expenses were occurred as we had an additional 4 nights of hotel bills and food expenses as well as increased airfare to fly out of a different city. Total cost of these extras was another $2000 that we would not have had had be made it on the original cruise. I was just informed by my credit card company that I lost my dispute with Royal Caribbean which is why it took me so long to write this. I need help!
thanks for the suggestions I will write the letter this week--email, snail mail or both?

Oct 4, 2016
It isn't Royal forcing this - the traveler has to make the decision to fly in a day before and tell Royal. They can give them flights the day before or even two days before. The client has to request it, and their travel agent should warn them to fly in at least a day early.
Royal Caribbean was my travel agent and they said they guaranteed us to get to the ship, how was I supposed to know they would not help?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Royal Caribbean was my travel agent and they said they guaranteed us to get to the ship, how was I supposed to know they would not help?
You are right, John. If they guaranteed to get you to the ship, it's a matter of perseverance to cause them to make this right. You will prevail. Email is the best way to handle complaints we have found.

This is one of the reasons we advise people to book cruises through an experienced travel agent who would have counseled you. The cruise line just buys the cheapest fares available. I often wonder if the people in their air departments have ever flown on a plane. I've heard such horror stories from other passengers that I always make my own air arrangements.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They didn't suggest flying in a day early?
Travel agents always recommend this and Alaska is an exception to the rule of being able to join the ship at a later date because of the ridiculous Jones Act rules.

But in my eyes, that makes your situation even more compelling and a reason why Royal should not just be telling you "too bad". They should have told you about this possibility instead of guaranteeing they would get you to the ship. In my eyes, they owe you at least a credit for a cruise next year.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Just curious, you said the original flight made it on time but in May you were switched to a different/later flight. Did they say why?

Oct 4, 2016
Just curious, you said the original flight made it on time but in May you were switched to a different/later flight. Did they say why?
We just received an email in May informing us that our flight details had changed, I did not find out that the earlier flight still happened until after we missed our connection. my assumption is that we were put on the later flight to save money but we never received any discount--it would have gone straight to Air2sea/ royal Caribbean, but I have no proof of that

Oct 4, 2016
Here are our contacts for Royal Caribbean:

http://elliott.org/company-contacts/royal-caribbean/

Start with Customer Service. Give them a week to reply. If they don't or can't help, write to the first executive shown. Give him/her a week to reply. Repeat weekly if necessary continuing to go up the chain.

As jsn said, in the future, never fly in the same day of a cruise, always fly in a day or 2 before to avoid something like this happening.

Let us know what happens after you write.
here is their response
Dear Dr. Bailey,

Thank you for contacting the executive offices of Royal Caribbean International. We received your correspondence to Mr. Leyva and I am pleased to respond on his behalf and the other executives In copy.

I am sorry to learn of the flight delay resulting in missed connection from Phoenix to Vancouver, and subsequently the cruise planned as our Emergency travel team was unable to get you to the ship in time due to lack of flight availability at the time and the Jones Act. Our Customer Service agent Jacob who spoke with your wife made an exception to have the cruise fare penalty reapplied as a cruise credit to your rebooked cruise, advised her the taxes and shore excursions would be automatically refunded but no further reimbursements were being offered

Oct 4, 2016
So are you okay with that? If not, write to the next executive and tell him/her that you don't feel that is sufficient and name a price that would suffice.
I am not ok with their response, I sent the same letter to all of the executives on the list and that has been the only response I received